Gun laws in USA??

Nick's current affairs & general discussion about anything that's not sport.
Voice your opinion on stories of interest to all at Nick's.

Moderator: bbmods

Wokko

Post by Wokko »

David wrote:Some epic trolling here:

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2016 ... n-petition

And really, on what grounds can they possibly say no, given their own arguments? Hypocrites.
http://www.breitbart.com/big-government ... ium=social

I suspected trolling too, waited until I saw evidence to say so. The fact the petition was on change.org was a huge red flag that this wasn't legit.
Wokko

Post by Wokko »

http://www.breitbart.com/2nd-amendment/ ... ium=social

Heh, payback gun control trolling. :lol:
David
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 35 times

Post by David »

Not quite as good, though, because I don't know of any mainstream Democrats who think that security guards and police officers shouldn't have guns, so it's kind of a straw man. And also, the other guys thought of this first (and no Republican gun rights supporter that I'm aware of has given a good answer as to why people shouldn't be able to bring their guns to the convention, apart from a shrug of "ah well, the secret service won't let us, so what can you do?).
"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
Wokko

Post by Wokko »

That's the point David, these people bang on about taking firearms away from law abiding gun owners, depriving them of the ability to protect themselves while surrounding themselves with armed bodyguards.

Can the single mother living in the projects afford a bodyguard to protect herself? Does a family whose home is being broken into at night while their home have someone to respond within seconds to the threat or do they call the police to come and identify their bodies?

If 'calling the police' is enough, then let these people who would disarm the population deal with having the same level of protection.
Pies4shaw
Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 86 times

Post by Pies4shaw »

Having read Wokko's latest post, are we still all in support of universal male suffrage? I'm on the point of reconsidering.
Wokko

Post by Wokko »

stui magpie
Has liked: 71 times
Been liked: 73 times

Post by stui magpie »

Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
Wokko

Post by Wokko »

stui magpie wrote:
Just happened to have a loaded 9mm handgun laying around for an 11 year old to pick up? WTF?

Shit, I grew up with loaded guns in the house but I would've had to go fetch one from dads bedroom.
Alabama
:lol:
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

^

LOL, no, Tocumwal.

There was a loaded and cocked M1 Carbine leaning in the corner on Dads side of the bed and a loaded shotgun behind the bedroom door :wink:
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
Wokko

Post by Wokko »

Was about to ask if you still had the M1, because that's awesome then realized if you do then you can't tell me anyway. Damn Howard taking heirloom pieces from law abiding firearms owners.

Lots of boating accidents around that time though. Shame.
David
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 35 times

Post by David »

Wokko wrote:http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/parenting/kids/elevenyearold-boy-makes-home-invader-cry-like-a-baby/news-story/1b6262822090a184a1777fd4159bc278
The gun lobby seems to love these stories most of all, forgetting that the whole idea of little kids (who, as Dylan Moran put it so beautifully, are about on par intellectually with very drunk adults) wielding loaded guns is batshit insane.

So, one ten-year-old foils a home invasion (ensuring that one less TV ends up on the black market), another two shoot their siblings in the head after an argument and another half a dozen accidentally kill themselves. Kids and guns: great combination.
"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

Wokko wrote:Was about to ask if you still had the M1, because that's awesome then realized if you do then you can't tell me anyway. Damn Howard taking heirloom pieces from law abiding firearms owners.

Lots of boating accidents around that time though. Shame.
Don't have it, handed it in 10 years ago. Genuine WWII model Dad got off a US serviceman based at Toc during the war. :cry:
think positive
Has liked: 212 times
Been liked: 85 times

Post by think positive »

You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
Wokko

Post by Wokko »

think positive wrote:ok well that shocks me!

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-06-14/g ... ys/7509286
The moment the article quotes someone saying the Adler shotgun is rapid firing is the moment you know they have no damn clue.

3D Printing is going to make gun laws obsolete anyway, within 20 years people will be printing almost anything they want, including weapons.
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

^

I missed that bit. I can live with it being called a rapid fire weapon but not being compared to a semi auto which some other clueless tool have done.

Overall the article wasn't bad and reasonably accurate. Nothing surprising to me there.