#2 Jordan De Goey

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

Beast

Post by Beast »

Culprit wrote:He has shown more in two years than Ben Sinclair showed in two years, Sinkers is finally playing consistent football. More time for De Goey and a full list would make him work harder as well.
Well done on comparing a speculative pick 62 to a 5 pick that was meant to be our great white hope.

mind boggling really
RudeBoy
Been liked: 73 times

Re: De Goey: Houston, we have a problem

Post by RudeBoy »

Bob Sugar wrote:I've held my tongue for a while now hoping he would come good, but enough is enough, he is an average footballer IMO who should be playing VFL, i reckon we bought a dud.

Thoughts?
In 3-4 years he'll be considered the new Nat Fyfe. He is already good, but is going to be an absolute gun and a beast of a midfielder.
3rd degree

Post by 3rd degree »

Beast wrote:
Culprit wrote:He has shown more in two years than Ben Sinclair showed in two years, Sinkers is finally playing consistent football. More time for De Goey and a full list would make him work harder as well.
Well done on comparing a speculative pick 62 to a 5 pick that was meant to be our great white hope.

mind boggling really
Ouch Culprit clobbered with an old monkey wrench! :x
" Ohhh Banksy and out comes the Note Book".

www.facebook/the hybernators
Culprit
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 31 times

Post by Culprit »

Beast wrote:

mind boggling really
Good point, but if your prepared to sack a player into his second year we should have a separate thread.
loki04

Post by loki04 »

Culprit wrote:
Beast wrote:

mind boggling really
Good point, but if your prepared to sack a player into his second year we should have a separate thread.
Who has mentioned sacking?

Most feel he will be a solid to good player and play likely 250 games for us as a grunt mid.

I think what people are likely trying to figure out is what "special" attributes does he posses that you would normally find in players taken top 5!

Top 5 picks more often then not end up ELITE and in the top bracket of players at the club.

Will Degoey become this, that is where the question marks are coming from.
Up the Mighty Mags 2016.
mattdally
Has liked: 1 time

Post by mattdally »

Was listening to Peter Wright's u18 coach at Calder this morning. He mentioned he was shocked the Pies didn't take him in the draft. We were right into him and were supposed to pick him up, but last minute changed to a mid. They mentioned Wright and Moore would be hard to stop in CHF and FF once they developed.

De Goey is ok. I am hoping he matures into a Jack Ziebell type so I will wish him the best, but early signs suggest that will be a stretch.
E

Post by E »

loki04 wrote:
Culprit wrote:
Beast wrote: Well done on comparing a speculative pick 62 to a 5 pick that was meant to be our great white hope.

mind boggling really

Most feel he will be a solid to good player and play likely 250 games for us as a grunt mid.

I think what people are likely trying to figure out is what "special" attributes does he posses that you would normally find in players taken top 5!

Top 5 picks more often then not end up ELITE and in the top bracket of players at the club.

I wonder what people though of Pendles at the equivalent stage of his career? I don't think we saw his special talents until his third year.

Same with Nat Fyfe I think.

would love the see the press on each of these fellows half way through their second season.
Culprit
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 31 times

Post by Culprit »

At the moment there is no one to replace De Goey. I would have everyone that is playing in the Magoos behind him. To drop him due to his average form this year is a step backwards. Who will replace him and give you the same or better output? Now if we had a full list (which we don't and rarely do it seems) then that is a different matter. I would suggest Varcoe should be dropped on form but again there is no one to replace him that will give me equal or greater output. Nothing like a bunch of armchair experts who call the ins and outs each week which makes for good entertainment. :D
Many of us see what transpires differently and then we have the sheep. :?
loki04

Post by loki04 »

E wrote:
loki04 wrote:
Culprit wrote:Good point, but if your prepared to sack a player into his second year we should have a separate thread.

I wonder what people though of Pendles at the equivalent stage of his career? I don't think we saw his special talents until his third year.

Same with Nat Fyfe I think.

would love the see the press on each of these fellows half way through their second season.

You mean like this https://youtu.be/LIIV71Kt58U

or many instances throughout this:

https://youtu.be/zfWfFn6HWxM

Pendles was pretty much star material from the time he debuted, you could see he was going to be a gun.

Anyway I do get your overall point he is only in his 2nd year, just usually even 2nd year players show glimpses of what makes them stand apart from your average player.
Up the Mighty Mags 2016.
King Monkey
Location: On a journey to seek the scriptures of enlightenment....

Post by King Monkey »

woftam wrote:Kid will be a gem. But I wish he would stop with the flashy boots & get some stops that stop him falling over all the time.
This.
Also, cannot pick-and-choose when to chase, when to run hard into space, etc, etc. Consistency of effort will lead to consistency of performance over time.

Anyway, didn't we do this about a week ago......?
http://www.magpies.net/nick/bb/viewtopic.php?t=80239
"I am a great sage, equal of heaven.
Grow stick, grow.
Fly cloud, fly.
Oh you are a dee-mon, I love to fiiight."
watt price tully

Post by watt price tully »

mattdally wrote:Was listening to Peter Wright's u18 coach at Calder this morning. He mentioned he was shocked the Pies didn't take him in the draft. We were right into him and were supposed to pick him up, but last minute changed to a mid. They mentioned Wright and Moore would be hard to stop in CHF and FF once they developed.

De Goey is ok. I am hoping he matures into a Jack Ziebell type so I will wish him the best, but early signs suggest that will be a stretch.
I wanted "us" to pick up Wright at the time, so too did a few other experts :wink: here on Nicks.
“I even went as far as becoming a Southern Baptist until I realised they didn’t keep ‘em under long enough” Kinky Friedman
CarringbushCigar
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 7 times

Post by CarringbushCigar »

We need him desperately because we are shamefully short on line breakers/courageous runners.
Only 2nd year and has played every week.

Needs more encouragement and work on gaining a yard over summer.

Still bullish on JDG - all heart and lots of smarts.
John Wren

Post by John Wren »

RudeBoy wrote:
jackcass wrote:
piedys wrote:Well, below is your shopping list from 2014 draft, until Maynard at #30 - who else would you have preferred?

1 Patrick McCartin St Kilda Geelong U18 2014
2 Christian Petracca Melbourne Eastern U18 2014
3 Angus Brayshaw Melbourne Sandringham U18 2014
4 Jarrod Pickett Greater Western Sydney South Fremantle 2014
5 Jordan De Goey Collingwood Oakleigh U18 2014
6 Caleb Marchbank Greater Western Sydney Murray U18 2014
7 Paul Ahern Greater Western Sydney Calder U18 2014
8 Peter Wright Gold Coast Calder U18 2014
9 Darcy Moore Collingwood Oakleigh U18 2014
10 Nakia Cockatoo Geelong NT Thunder 2014
11 Liam Duggan West Coast Western U18 2014
12 Corey Ellis Richmond Western U18 2014
13 Lachlan Weller Fremantle Southport/Broadbeach 2014
14 Jake Lever Adelaide Calder U18 2014
15 Jarrod Garlett Gold Coast South Fremantle 2014
16 Sam Durdin North Melbourne West Adelaide 2014
17 Kyle Langford Essendon Northern U18 2014
18 Isaac Heeney Sydney Swans Cardiff 2014
19 Blaine Boekhorst Carlton Swan Districts 2014
20 Jayden Laverde Essendon Western U18 2014
21 Hugh Goddard St Kilda Geelong U18 2014
22 Daniel McKenzie St Kilda Oakleigh U18 2014
23 Patrick McKenna Greater Western Sydney Gisborne 2014
24 Jack Steele Greater Western Sydney Belconnen 2014
25 Daniel Nielson North Melbourne Eastern U18 2014
26 Toby McLean Western Bulldogs Oakleigh U18 2014
27 Lukas Webb Western Bulldogs Gippsland U18 2014
28 Dillon Viojo-Rainbow Carlton Western U18 2014
29 Touk Miller Gold Coast Calder U18 2014
30 Brayden Maynard Collingwood Sandringham U18 2014
Yeah, Heeney and Lever the only 2 to have shown more than DeGoey at this stage, Heeney was already locked away, and Lever was always highly rated but coming off injuries. Imagine the outcry if we'd selected another injured player.
If I remember right, many Nicksters wanted us to draft Laverde instead of De Goey. Now Laverde can't even break into the Bombers senior team, which is missing about 10 of their top players.
laverde suffered a serious shoulder injury the round before anzac day and has been out pretty much since then. will be back soon enough.

fwiw, you know my views on jdg. they haven't changed.
Purveyor of sanctimonious twaddle.
Dave The Man
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Dave The Man »

mattdally wrote:Was listening to Peter Wright's u18 coach at Calder this morning. He mentioned he was shocked the Pies didn't take him in the draft. We were right into him and were supposed to pick him up, but last minute changed to a mid. They mentioned Wright and Moore would be hard to stop in CHF and FF once they developed.

Wright was my Pick when We got Pick 5 from the Lions.

Wonder what Changed there Mind? Moore saying he really wanted us to Draft De Goey
I am Da Man
burnsy17

Post by burnsy17 »

Id take 2 metre Peter in a heartbeat.

DeGoey is a hardball scrapper who struggles to hit a target. He tried hard but hes pretty ineffective in games.

I know for a fact we changed our mind very late on draft day and opted for him. No idea why because we've got a stack of players of his type already in Adams, Greenwood and Crisp.
Beware the swooping Magpie.