#2 Jordan De Goey

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

stui magpie
Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 74 times

Post by stui magpie »

burnsy17 wrote:Id take 2 metre Peter in a heartbeat.

DeGoey is a hardball scrapper who struggles to hit a target. He tried hard but hes pretty ineffective in games.

I know for a fact we changed our mind very late on draft day and opted for him. No idea why because we've got a stack of players of his type already in Adams, Greenwood and Crisp.
I really like DeGoey and reckon he will be a gun, but if you asked me to pick between him and 2 metre Peter I'd be sorely tempted to take the big bloke.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
Dawesy31

Post by Dawesy31 »

Dave The Man wrote:
Wright was my Pick when We got Pick 5 from the Lions.

Wonder what Changed there Mind? Moore saying he really wanted us to Draft De Goey
What a load of rubbish! As if the recruiting team would just go for a player based on what a teenage recruit tells them.
watt price tully

Post by watt price tully »

Dawesy31 wrote:
Dave The Man wrote:

Wonder what Changed there Mind? Moore saying he really wanted us to Draft De Goey
What a load of rubbish! As if the recruiting team would just go for a player based on what a teenage recruit tells them.
I agree, but the recruiting department could have been more dilligent & consulted Nicks as quite a few of us based on tea laves, BF reports & discussions with fellow footy supporters all had Wright marked as out no. 5 pick :roll:
“I even went as far as becoming a Southern Baptist until I realised they didn’t keep ‘em under long enough” Kinky Friedman
RudeBoy
Been liked: 73 times

Post by RudeBoy »

DeGoey is a hardball scrapper who struggles to hit a target. He tried hard but hes pretty ineffective in games.

I know for a fact we changed our mind very late on draft day and opted for him. No idea why because we've got a stack of players of his type already in Adams, Greenwood and Crisp.
Who needs 2 metre Peter when we've got 3 metre Mason alongside 2 metre Darcy? De Goey is exactly what we need and I expect he'll be an A grade midfielder in a couple of years. Have patience guys, he hasn't even played 50 games yet.
Bob Sugar

Post by Bob Sugar »

RudeBoy wrote:

Who needs 2 metre Peter when we've got 3 metre Mason alongside 2 metre Darcy? De Goey is exactly what we need and I expect he'll be an A grade midfielder in a couple of years. Have patience guys, he hasn't even played 50 games yet.
You don't understand, we should've seen something special about him by now, surely Hine saw it when he used a top 5 pick on him, why haven't we seen it? Maybe Hine was guessing.
Defender...........

On the day before the first, Daicos created God.

You like this.
loki04

Post by loki04 »

Bob Sugar wrote:
RudeBoy wrote:

You don't understand, we should've seen something special about him by now, surely Hine saw it when he used a top 5 pick on him, why haven't we seen it? Maybe Hine was guessing.
The only thing I can think of is Hine may see him eventually become an Elite Bull.
Like a bigger Micheal Voss.
Up the Mighty Mags 2016.
Raw Hammer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Raw Hammer »

Bob Sugar wrote:
RudeBoy wrote:

Easier to dominate and show your wares in a junior comp. he's now a 'kid' play gain the most elite comp in the country. Fitness needs to be elite for a mid these days. Once his tank reaches peak, I'm sure he'll show why he was selected top 5.

Est. 2002
burnsy17

Post by burnsy17 »

Bob Sugar wrote:
RudeBoy wrote:

Im with you on this one - even in his limited games, we should have seen some signs of greatness... Smooth disposal, a nice goal... Something.

I see the same from DeGoey that i see from Josh Smith.... Know what i mean?! Thats not disrespect to Smith because i like him... But a pick 5 should be a lot better than a Smith type pick.
Last edited by burnsy17 on Tue Jul 05, 2016 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Beware the swooping Magpie.
Bob Sugar

Post by Bob Sugar »

burnsy17 wrote:
Bob Sugar wrote:
RudeBoy wrote: Who needs 2 metre Peter when we've got 3 metre Mason alongside 2 metre Darcy? De Goey is exactly what we need and I expect he'll be an A grade midfielder in a couple of years. Have patience guys, he hasn't even played 50 games yet.
Im with you on this one - even in his limited games, we should have seen some signs of greatness... Smooth disposal, a nice goal... Something.

I see the same from DeGoey that i see from Josh Smith.... Know what i mean?!
Yep, you see guys like Degoey in the latter rounds, top 5 picks should be getting dressed in phone booths and their underware goes on last, a cape would be nice as well.

Pendles should ware a cape.
Defender...........

On the day before the first, Daicos created God.

You like this.
stui magpie
Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 74 times

Post by stui magpie »

Some hard markers on here, I reckon DeGoey HAS shown signs and will be a gun. He's a young man in his second season.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
HAL
Been liked: 3 times

Post by HAL »

Some may hard markers on here he or she reckon DeGoey showed signs and will be a gun, but not all.
magpieazza

Post by magpieazza »

watt price tully wrote:
Dawesy31 wrote:
Dave The Man wrote:

I agree, but the recruiting department could have been more dilligent & consulted Nicks as quite a few of us based on tea laves, BF reports & discussions with fellow footy supporters all had Wright marked as out no. 5 pick :roll:
Oh boy, this actually made me laugh out loud, good one.
Carpe diem quam minimum credula postero.
droversdog65

Post by droversdog65 »

Wow, just wow.

A kid in his second year playing totally out of position in a team hamstrung by an avalanche of injuries and the usual suspects are screaming wasted pick.

Pointless for the equable amonst us to counsel patience to the terminally impatient.
BBHS
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 5 times

Post by BBHS »

What position is he? I would think he's a centreman yeah?
35forever

Post by 35forever »

You have got to be kidding me!?!
Sugar, you clearly haven't been watching. Yes, DG has had a disappointing season, when his pre-season and NAB cup form was so good, but to suggest that he is a "dud", who can't play is absolutely absurd. he has shown time & time again that he has skill to burn, and is hard at it. In the NAB games he was among our best showing speed, dash, skill, and leadership. As things have turned out he's had a very common case of 'Second Season Syndrome' which has hit many of the best players in the game, even though his numbers are well up on last year. This can hardly be surprising as the 20 year old has played with a different set of mids almost every week, with injuries affecting everyone in the mids over the last year or two.
Jordy was NOT my choice of player for our juicy 5th pick, I wanted Lever (certainly not Wright) if we couldn't get Brayshaw, and DeGoey looked far too skinny.
Still, in his first game I saw why Dekka preferred him, and have been impressed by some of his efforts, when he's clearly shown that he will be among the leading mids in the comp. The fact that his 2016 hasn't been what we, and he, hoped for is hardly unusual, most of our guys, even the best, have been great in patches this year.
Peter Wright had a lot more hype around him than DeGoey, being pick 3 in most people's reckoning, though earlier he was talked of as a possible no.1 with McCartin & Petracca. On draft night though he was taken much further down the list, and while he's shown some excellent performances, he is certainly still a work in progress, and Dekka was clearly after a mid. The one he chose will undoubtedly be among our best in future, and I have no doubt you'll be issuing an apology to the kid when that time comes.

Also let's not forget that in rerturn for Beamer, certainly a massive loss, we got not only DeGoey, but also "Steak Knives" Crisp. Currently he is copping a bit from 'supporters' coz he hasn't stood out as much in his second year, but he came to us as a Fringe Brizzo player, has played every game since (has anyone else?) and came third in his first Copeland. By any measure that's extraordinary for a "free" player.
"If at first you dont succeed...
... oh who cares, we did it!!!!!"

-me, 2010
"The pies are going to the big dance!"-P.Daicos 2010
Visit My Website!