#2 Jordan De Goey

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

Clifton Hill-Billy
Been liked: 7 times

Post by Clifton Hill-Billy »

stui magpie wrote:
King Monkey wrote:The only negative amongst a plethora of positives today.
Watch the game again.
Just watched the reply he was our worst player easily, missed targets & goals, fell over at crucial times (although plenty of players were slipping over). As others have pointed out, lacks polish and disposal suffers at even a hint of inferred pressure. Hopefully gets better next year, I'll reserve final judgement of future potential until then.
"Hey Ma get off the dang roof!"
Culprit
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 31 times

Post by Culprit »

Clifton Hill-Billy wrote:
stui magpie wrote:
King Monkey wrote:The only negative amongst a plethora of positives today.
Watch the game again.
Just watched the reply he was our worst player easily, missed targets & goals, fell over at crucial times (although plenty of players were slipping over). As others have pointed out, lacks polish and disposal suffers at even a hint of inferred pressure. Hopefully gets better next year, I'll reserve final judgement of future potential until then.
You need to take that eye patch off. His game was no different to many others and not everyone played for four quarters. He had a couple of clangers but despite one of the goals of the year so did Blair. De Goey was having a crack and taking the game on and no doubt that was under coaches instructions. I would be surprised if he was dropped.
stui magpie
Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 74 times

Post by stui magpie »

^

Yep, the kid was having a fair crack. Not everything he tried came off but I love his controlled aggression at the contest. He's going to be a beast in a few years.

At the same age, compared to Dangerfield, De Go Go averages more disposals, more marks, more tackles, better disposal efficiency..............

http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_p ... 1=O&fid2=O
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
nomadjack

Post by nomadjack »

Think he'll be fine but agree he was ordinary yesterday. Was a few times where he needed to get over to help out and instead hung back at a half jog. Didn't look great.
RudeBoy
Been liked: 73 times

Post by RudeBoy »

stui magpie wrote:^

Yep, the kid was having a fair crack. Not everything he tried came off but I love his controlled aggression at the contest. He's going to be a beast in a few years.

At the same age, compared to Dangerfield, De Go Go averages more disposals, more marks, more tackles, better disposal efficiency..............

Thanks for that stui. I reckon De Goey is coming along fine.
35forever

Post by 35forever »

5150 wrote:Another stinker, would be dropped like a red hot pie if there were anyone left to bring in.

Hoping its 2nd year blues as opposed to being just a plodder.
I find this sort of crap appalling. If there's anything which marks someone out as a dud supporter it's bagging our own players, particularly the young kids. I just cannot fathom why someone claiming to be a Die-hard Magpie would do that, it makes no sense!What is wrong with us that we are happy to crap on a 20 year old with about 25 games under his belt, but swear by a coach that has done nothing but achieve worse results each year for 5 years! Surely that is insane behaviour?! (I'm not saying you're insane 5150... settle, it's the behaviour, which plenty around here indulge in).

I agree that DG certainly hasn't had the year one would expect after his debut year, but second year blues are not uncommon in youngsters. DeGoey was always going to have a hard row to plough, whoever we picked was inevitably going to be compared with our last pick 5, and very few players in modern football compare favourably with Collingwood captain Scott Pendlebury, one of the top 5 players of the last 20 years, and a true Magpie champion.

So I guess it's worth having a look at the second years of both guys...

Averages, year 2:
Degoey - 18.87 disp SP10 -18.91 disp
.6 gl .87 gl
2.2 cl 2.2 cl
4.1 mk 5.39 mk
3.7 tk 3.26 tk
3 if 2.61 if
(excuse the bloody awful 'table', I should've done a better one but I didn't want to. I'm sure you get the idea, on each line are DGs averages for touches, goals, clearances, marks, tackles, & Inside 50's,and then SP'sthe point is, they're nearly identical)

That's interesting! So I guess that means Pendles is a dud too. I coulda sworn he was an absolute gun! I guess perception is everything.
Of course there were other guys on offer, so maybe we should've picked one of the other greats from that very tasty draft. Of course we were never any chance of getting one of the No.1 pick contenders, namely McCartin, Petracca, Wright, or Brayshaw, so I can't imagine Dekka spent a huge amount of time on them, but certainly all 4 are elite players, just as predicted, having played hundreds of games and kicked dozens of goals between them in their 2 years.
Oh wait.
That didn't happen.
I dont doubt that these guys will be excellent players, Brayshaw (who I hoped would slip through to us) has shown good things, and Petracca could be a gun, he looks it so far, but he's only just started. McCartin, though hardly sighted yet seems to be getting up to the pace at the top level. Of the rest Lachie Weller looks a good type, Lever is doing okay, Langford & Boekhorst are still getting up to speed, but both should get there eventually, as should LaVerde and Goddard.

But none can match Go-go's numbers, none of them. A couple are ahead in 1 stat (McCartin 1.5 in goals, but way behind in everything else, and Brayshaw has more tackles than our guys), but none are equal. Of course it's early, and it'll be a few more years before we know who are the real guns, if any. Oh, and no one is saying McCartin, Brayshaw, or Wright are duds, even though they aren't doing as well as Jordan DeGoey.

Have a lovely day, won't you?
Last edited by 35forever on Wed Jul 13, 2016 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
scoobydoo
Been liked: 5 times

Post by scoobydoo »

35forever wrote:
5150 wrote:Another stinker, would be dropped like a red hot pie if there were anyone left to bring in.

Hoping its 2nd year blues as opposed to being just a plodder.
I find this sort of crap appalling. If there's anything which marks someone out as a dud supporter it's bagging our own players, particularly the young kids. I just cannot fathom why someone claiming to be a Die-hard Magpie would do that, it makes no sense!What is wrong with us that we are happy to crap on a 20 year old with about 25 games under his belt, but swear by a coach that has done nothing but achieve worse results each year for 5 years! Surely that is insane behaviour?! (I'm not saying you're insane 5150... settle, it's the behaviour, which plenty around here indulge in).

I agree that DG certainly hasn't had the year one would expect after his debut year, but second year blues are not uncommon in youngsters. DeGoey was always going to have a hard row to plough, whoever we picked was inevitably going to be compared with our last pick 5, and very few players in modern football compare favourably with Collingwood captain Scott Pendlebury, one of the top 5 players of the last 20 years, and a true Magpie champion.

So I guess it's worth having a look at the second years of both guys...

Averages, year 2:
Degoey - 18.87 disp SP10 -18.91 disp
.6 gl .87 gl
2.2 cl 2.2 cl
4.1 mk 5.39 mk
3.7 tk 3.26 tk
3 if 2.61 if
(excuse the bloody awful 'table', I should've done a better one but I didn't want to. I'm sure you get the idea, on each line are DGs averages for touches, goals, clearances, marks, tackles, & Inside 50's, the point is, theyre nearly identical)

That's interesting! So I guess that means Pendles is a dud too. I coulda sworn he was an absolute gun! I guess perception is everything.
Of course there were other guys on offer, so maybe we should've picked one of the other greats from that very tasty draft. Of course we were never any chance of getting one of the No.1 pick contenders, namely McCartin, Petracca, Wright, or Brayshaw, so I can't imagine Dekka spent a huge amount of time on them, but certainly all 4 are elite players, just as predicted, having played hundreds of games and kicked dozens of goals between them in their 2 years.
Oh wait.
That didn't happen.
I dont doubt that these guys will be excellent players, Brayshaw (who I hoped would slip through to us) has shown good things, and Petracca could be a gun, he looks it so far, but he's only just started. McCartin, though hardly sighted yet seems to be getting up to the pace at the top level. Of the rest Lachie Weller looks a good type, Lever is doing okay, Langford & Boekhorst are still getting up to speed, but both should get there eventually, as should LaVerde and Goddard.

But none can match Go-go's numbers, none of them. A couple are ahead in 1 stat (McCartin 1.5 in goals, but way behind in everything else, and Brayshaw has more tackles than our guys), but none are equal. Of course it's early, and it'll be a few more years before we know who are the real guns, if any. Oh, and no one is saying McCartin, Brayshaw, or Wright are duds, even though they aren't doing as well as Jordan DeGoey.

Have a lovely day, won't you?

Finally someone makes sense.
Didn't Grundy get bagged on this site for his
2nd yr blues also?
jackcass

Post by jackcass »

stui magpie wrote:^

He'll never have the pace of Danger though.
regan is true fullback

Post by regan is true fullback »

Did anyone notice how tired everyone looked in that last quarter, including Varcoe and De Goey? It was a very heavy track, it's been raining up here for days. And everyone slipped over. Collingwood seemed to put up the Portugal red wall once they got to 7 goals up, which is understandable, if everyone was stuffed...
Clifton Hill-Billy
Been liked: 7 times

Post by Clifton Hill-Billy »

Culprit wrote:
stui magpie wrote: Watch the game again.
You need to take that eye patch off. His game was no different to many others and not everyone played for four quarters. He had a couple of clangers but despite one of the goals of the year so did Blair. De Goey was having a crack and taking the game on and no doubt that was under coaches instructions. I would be surprised if he was dropped.
Couldn't be that the eye patch works the other way and his good form of last year and nab cup, blinds you to his poor performances in winning teams? Yes, he has a crack and is hard at it, but at pick 5 this isn't enough. Hopefully he finds some form and gets back to his best but he's far from it at the moment.
"Hey Ma get off the dang roof!"
RudeBoy
Been liked: 73 times

Post by RudeBoy »

Culprit wrote:
Clifton Hill-Billy wrote: Just watched the reply he was our worst player easily, missed targets & goals, fell over at crucial times (although plenty of players were slipping over). As others have pointed out, lacks polish and disposal suffers at even a hint of inferred pressure. Hopefully gets better next year, I'll reserve final judgement of future potential until then.
Couldn't be that the eye patch works the other way and his good form of last year and nab cup, blinds you to his poor performances in winning teams? Yes, he has a crack and is hard at it, but at pick 5 this isn't enough. Hopefully he finds some form and gets back to his best but he's far from it at the moment.
For a pick 5 he's already way ahead of several recent number 1 picks in McCartin and Boyd. His form is already good, but will be supreme in a couple of years.
jackcass

Post by jackcass »

I'm not sure why people assume that as a high pick he'll immediately be a star. Been solid and would expect improvement each year.
King Monkey
Location: On a journey to seek the scriptures of enlightenment....

Post by King Monkey »

Not concerned with the lad's hardness around the ball, or his statistics as a second year player.

My concerns on de Goey centre around his lack of desire to do the hard yards when a possession for him is NOT going to be on the end of it.
And a lack of awareness/composure when he does get it.
And a lack of nous in running to spots that should be left open for the likes of Cloke to lead into.
And his attitude - leading with the mouth as one who has already earned stripes; which he hasn't.

As for Saturday's game - yes, did some good things, not arguing with that.
But some of the above was still on display.
"I am a great sage, equal of heaven.
Grow stick, grow.
Fly cloud, fly.
Oh you are a dee-mon, I love to fiiight."
BBHS
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 5 times

Post by BBHS »

I think I'd be more concerned if the club thought he wasn't worthy of a game
MatthewBoydFanClub
Been liked: 1 time

Post by MatthewBoydFanClub »

King Monkey wrote:Not concerned with the lad's hardness around the ball, or his statistics as a second year player.

My concerns on de Goey centre around his lack of desire to do the hard yards when a possession for him is NOT going to be on the end of it.
And a lack of awareness/composure when he does get it.
And a lack of nous in running to spots that should be left open for the likes of Cloke to lead into.
And his attitude - leading with the mouth as one who has already earned stripes; which he hasn't.

As for Saturday's game - yes, did some good things, not arguing with that.
But some of the above was still on display.
Your concerns about De Goey as a player can be explained by a young player trying to establish himself in a team in his second year, exacerbated by playing in a team that has a lot of other young players in it and compounded by playing in a team which has never been really settled due to injuries. If he wasn't committing so many clangers in his games, we would be praising him much more. There was also an expectation at the start of the season based on his training form, that he would be performing better than he is showing, but given the performance of the team at this point below our preseason expectation, De Goey is tracking about where you would be expecting him to be performing. The key is as the team gets better as it becomes a more settled side, we would all be expecting De Goey to get better. We should all reserve judgement on De Goey's game till then.