Post inauguration Trump:

Nick's current affairs & general discussion about anything that's not sport.
Voice your opinion on stories of interest to all at Nick's.

Moderator: bbmods

stui magpie
Has liked: 71 times
Been liked: 73 times

Post by stui magpie »

^

Your not 5 either. Stop believing all the rubbish cant. real threat? To what?

The system doesn't allow wildcards.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
Morrigu

Post by Morrigu »

David wrote: If people are concerned about the direction their country is headed in, they should do something about it.
Like say the Reclaim Australia protestors?

Or voting for One Nation?

Surely that is acceptable if people are genuinely concerned?
“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
Skids
Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 30 times

Post by Skids »

David wrote:Stui, the ramifications of Trump's presidency are rather more significant than who gets to say they're a winner and who's a loser, and you're not 5. Some people may be in denial, but the vast majority of people rallying against him are very well aware of the real threat he represents and are right to demonstrate their opposition. If people are concerned about the direction their country is headed in, they should do something about it.
Like reducing the number of unemployed people?

U.S. President Donald Trump pushed the chief executives of General Motors Co, Ford Motor Co and Fiat Chrysler Automobiles NV on Tuesday to increase production in the United States and boost American employment.

Trump opened a meeting with GM CEO Mary Barra, Ford CEO Mark Fields and Fiat Chrysler CEO Sergio Marchionne at the White House by saying he wants to see new auto plants built in the United States.

The new Republican president vowed to cut regulations and taxes to make it more attractive for businesses to operate in the United States. He promised frequently during his election campaign to be a job-creating president and stressed that message in his inaugural speech last Friday.

"We have a very big push on to have auto plants and other plants - many other plants," he told reporters at the start of the meeting with auto executives. "It's happening."

The meeting was the latest sign of Trump's uncommon degree of intervention for a U.S. president into corporate affairs as he has repeatedly pressured automakers and other manufacturers to "buy American and hire American."

Gee... tragic stuff.

http://fortune.com/2017/01/24/donald-tr ... roduction/
Don't count the days, make the days count.
watt price tully

Post by watt price tully »

swoop42 wrote:Unfortunately for you Skids I have the one dingbat to rule them all and she supported Trump.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_LPR7DktumA
It's very funny: I posted that link months ago.

Oh I miss the daily show but Samantha Bee has taken it up big time & is doing a terrific job. Samantha Bee's husband Jason Jones an executive producer on the show is a very funny man.Both were regular "correspondents" on the show.
“I even went as far as becoming a Southern Baptist until I realised they didn’t keep ‘em under long enough” Kinky Friedman
HAL
Been liked: 3 times

Post by HAL »

Do you think about these things?
Morrigu

Post by Morrigu »

^ I tried to watch some of the links you posted for Samantha Bee - sorry but I don't get the love :?

Shrill +++ and well just not even remotely amusing let alone funny - maybe just my predudice when I hear that accent :P
“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
think positive
Has liked: 212 times
Been liked: 84 times

Post by think positive »

That's really disappointing

They should go around, no matter how far it is.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world ... 43711.html
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
watt price tully

Morrigu wrote:^ I tried to watch some of the links you posted for Samantha Bee - sorry but I don't get the love :?

Shrill +++ and well just not even remotely amusing let alone funny - maybe just my predudice when I hear that accent :P
Each to their own: You're too angry to enjoy it currently :wink: :P but it is very funny. Let the voice go & you'll find it's very tight, well produced & spot on - I think she's from Canada originally. Then again if you set out not to like it you won't; you might not have liked Jon Stewart either.

Although the subject matter is more sad really. No one else has shown the the nasty recent background of the new US treasurer & it's been done well.

I'm sure one of the topics coming up will be the funding withdrawal for 3rd world women to have pregnancy terminations linked to US overseas aid a decision made by powerful post middle aged white rich males.

Then again humour (in the form of political satire) is in the eye of the beer holder I'm told.
Last edited by watt price tully on Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“I even went as far as becoming a Southern Baptist until I realised they didn’t keep ‘em under long enough” Kinky Friedman
watt price tully

think positive wrote:That's really disappointing

Just the start.
Skids
Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 30 times

Post by Skids »

watt price tully wrote:

Just the start.
No actually.... it's almost complete.

The project was planned for delivery by January 1, 2017.On November 26, 2016, the project was reported to be 87% completed.
The $3.78 billion project was announced to the public on June 25, 2014 and informational hearings for landowners took place between August 2014 and January 2015

Ummmm, who was president when it was approved?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dakota_Access_Pipeline
Don't count the days, make the days count.
watt price tully

Skids wrote:
watt price tully wrote:

Just the start.
No actually.... it's almost complete.

The project was planned for delivery by January 1, 2017.On November 26, 2016, the project was reported to be 87% completed.
The $3.78 billion project was announced to the public on June 25, 2014 and informational hearings for landowners took place between August 2014 and January 2015

Ummmm, who was president when it was approved?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dakota_Access_Pipeline
I should have been more specific: it was the environmental one I was concerned about because of the environmental issues associated with it. Don't care who approves it shouldn't happen period. I heard it on the radio Midday news before heading out to work yesterday.
Last edited by watt price tully on Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
think positive

Post by think positive »

And since it began, they have been fighting to stop the pipe going near tribal land. Go around, More jobs for. Longer!

I've followed this story. And it's been. appalling the way the protesters have been treated.
David
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 35 times

Post by David »

Morrigu wrote:
David wrote: If people are concerned about the direction their country is headed in, they should do something about it.

Of course. I support the right to protest, not just when it's for a cause I agree with. Better than tuning out and switching one's critical faculties off, which seems to be the course of action suggested by the "Donald Trump is president, deal with it" rhetoric.

Hopefully these protests won't be the high point of anti-Trump action but merely the first warning shot. I'm not proposing denial; rather, acceptance and then careful strategising. Time to fight back and find out where he bleeds.
"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
think positive

Post by think positive »

MJ23

Post by MJ23 »

David wrote:
Morrigu wrote:

Of course. I support the right to protest, not just when it's for a cause I agree with. Better than tuning out and switching one's critical faculties off, which seems to be the course of action suggested by the "Donald Trump is president, deal with it" rhetoric.

Hopefully these protests won't be the high point of anti-Trump action but merely the first warning shot. I'm not proposing denial; rather, acceptance and then careful strategising. Time to fight back and find out where he bleeds.
Good on them for getting out there, even if a heap of them don't really know why they are there. It's going to take a lot of time, effort, patience and persistence for these organisers to "maintain the rage of the vocal minority" for 4 years.
Still I'd have thought the best form of protest is the vote. Democrats need to sort themselves out, understand what messages majority voters sent at the election and put forward a halfway decent candidate.
"Even when Im old and gray, I wont be able to play but Ill still love the game"
Michael Jordan