Vale #1,#19,#20,#21,#24,#2 Captain Lou Richards (1923-2017)

Player President threads here thanks.

Moderator: bbmods

London Dave

Post by London Dave »

Sad news... met and chatted with him (and his younger brother) a few times. Class act. (both) loved the pies.

He was a champion footballer, probably not getting the credit for how good a player he was because of his media profile.

Unlike far too many ex players in the media today, you'd have never guessed him as a Collingwood man. Not an ounce of bias in his body.

They say many people are 'bigger than the game', but in the 60's and 70's, he was probably the closest thing we've seen to it, and for good reason. I doubt we'll see his like again.

I hope he gets the send off he deserves. There'll be a couple of pints downed in your honour in London town tonite!

Vale!
Culprit
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 30 times

Post by Culprit »

RIP Lou, still have the card you signed for me in 1990. Pies for Premiers 2050. Not even the great Lou Richards could cope with the weekends loss to the arch enemy.
HAL
Been liked: 3 times

Post by HAL »

Oh I get it.
john b

Post by john b »

RIP Lou Richards.
Clemo

Post by Clemo »

RIP Louie "the lip" Richards

A true LEGEND (even if the AFL don't think so)
Go Pies !!!!
Piesnchess
Has liked: 178 times
Been liked: 72 times

Post by Piesnchess »

For those of you who want to re live the fun and chaos of good ol League Teams, there is an excellent DVD, called Great grandfinals of the 1960s. It has Lou, Jack and Bobby in full flight, and is full of jokes, snide remarks, inane humour, fun, and Lou mouthing off to jack. It has old footage of every GF of the 1960s, mostly last qtrs., some very rare footage. It shows, sadly, our three losses, in 60 64 and 66. Jack and bob see wins by their old teams, and at one point Lou moans, jeezus, don't we get to see the Pies win one ! I got my copy from that Fishpond.com, its great viewing, great happy memories, kinda like the best of League teams. Highly recommended.
Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor, but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
Member 7167

Post by Member 7167 »

Talked to Lou on many occasions when we use to sit in N10 outside the Jack Ryder room at the MCG. He was always such a friendly and warm bloke and was always happy top say hello to my son and me and pass the time of day. It has sad in recent years seeing age take it toll on his body and wit.

He was truly a legend of the sport on so many levels and the fact that this has not been recognised by the AFL by inducting him into the Hall Of Fame says more about this manipulative and biased organisation that administers our great sport.

RIP Lou and thanks for the memories.
Now Retired - Every Day Is A Saturday
Mossi
Been liked: 2 times

Post by Mossi »

stui magpie wrote:Vale Lou.

For a kid growing up in the NSW bush who's only access to the VFL was via media, Lou was a staple and cemented my love for Collingwood.

Legend.
the same for me, just seeing him on camera would bring a smile to your face and unlike the modern generation of commentators you were all ears as he painted the game from a players perspective with a choice of words typical of the of the bush. I used to love his creative sense of humour, one time seeing that a side was totally spent i just remember ..... "All the cranes in Melbourne ain't enough to lift this side" on the contrary modern commentators would be going on about the possibility of scoring 7 goals in seven minutes, a joke and really a threat to your intelligence.
RIP Lou, loved you mate.
RudeBoy
Been liked: 73 times

Post by RudeBoy »

The Pannam/Richards family connection to Collingwood is phenomenal. Back in the late 60s when I was a kid, my Pop introduced me one day at Victoria Park to Alby Pannam, whom my Pop said was the greatest Collingwood player he'd ever seen. He was Lou Richards' uncle.
Presti35
Has liked: 163 times
Been liked: 59 times

Post by Presti35 »

94 is not a bad innings.

But our hearts are broken in Magpie-land.

An icon of Australian (Victorian) sport and media.
A Goal Saved Is 2 Goals Earned!
princem007

Post by princem007 »

RIP Lou Richards. A great man. Legend.
Go Pies...Premiers 2010
winpies
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 14 times

Post by winpies »

RIP Lippy Lou. Collingwood legend, funny man and no bullshit.
carn the mighty pies!
Damien
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 11 times

Post by Damien »

We will be wearing black armbands this weekend naturally, but I'd be disappointed if EVERY side wasn't wearing them for a bloke who was loved by all footy fans and did so much for footy in general.
'Collingwood are the Bradmans of Football'
The Herald - 1930
Presti35
Has liked: 163 times
Been liked: 59 times

Post by Presti35 »

Some old work "friends" are getting stuck into me on facebook after I posted a little tribute.

I said: "A man who helped change the game. An icon of Australian sports and media. RIP Lou." With a picture.

First reply was: "He was always very cruel to the woman who worked at Bunnings Nunawading. He would say they "know nothing" and "don't belong in a hardware store". I know he was a "product of his time", but you know what, he was an asshole".

Second one was: "bullshit he did not change any game he was rover in a football side".
A Goal Saved Is 2 Goals Earned!
Pies4shaw
Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 85 times

Post by Pies4shaw »

^ Well, they sound like churlish slugs.