Transgender athletes back on the agenda

Nick's current affairs & general discussion about anything that's not sport.
Voice your opinion on stories of interest to all at Nick's.

Moderator: bbmods

David
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 35 times

Post by David »

thesoretoothsayer wrote:
and one that I think is ultimately far greater than the cost to cis women
"As a man, let me quantify how much this impacts upon women"
I hope you see the irony of all of the armchair experts on here opining on what trans people are like and how they should live their lives.
"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
stui magpie
Has liked: 71 times
Been liked: 73 times

Post by stui magpie »

^

And you're not one of them?
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
David

Post by David »

No, me too. (I should really have pointed out that most of the people commenting in this thread are men, too!)

Anyway, we're pretty much all armchair experts on here. Carry on.
"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

Well people who aren't gay are entitled to voice an opinion on same sex marriage, what's the difference?

The majority makes rules/law for the all, the minority don't get to make rules for themselves, let alone rules that impact others.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
Wokko

Post by Wokko »

David wrote:No, me too. (I should really have pointed out that most of the people commenting in this thread are men, too!)

Anyway, we're pretty much all armchair experts on here. Carry on.
Did you just assume my gender?
David

Post by David »

Hey, I did say most. ;)
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

thesoretoothsayer
Been liked: 14 times

Post by thesoretoothsayer »

I think it's wise that the AFL tread carefully here. However, you do feel sorry for Hannah. She, after all, has done nothing wrong.

But, not to worry.
I've sure the Human Rights Commission or some other govt. body will ensure that the AFL assumes the "correct" position on transgender athletes by next year's draft.
thesoretoothsayer
Been liked: 14 times

Post by thesoretoothsayer »

I follow numerous American sites on Twitter and, surprisingly, this story is being reported there.
Skids
Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 30 times

Post by Skids »

A wise decision by the AFL.

Now lets just hope they don't get bullied into a backflip by the screaming of the looney brigade.
Don't count the days, make the days count.
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

I just find it interesting that she can be considered to big to play against supposedly the best of the best woman footballers, yet it's fine to play against the mugs in Canberra.

Yeah the pace and intensity would be less in a lower league, but so is the players skill level. I would have thought the more skilled players would be in less physical danger.
David

Post by David »

K
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 17 times

Post by K »

stui magpie wrote:I just find it interesting that she can be considered to big to play against supposedly the best of the best woman footballers, yet it's fine to play against the mugs in Canberra.

Yeah the pace and intensity would be less in a lower league, but so is the players skill level. I would have thought the more skilled players would be in less physical danger.
I think the AFL said something along the lines of the issue of unfair advantages being more serious for (semi-)professional than casual competitions, i.e. it wasn't about safety.
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

^

That's probably why they said she's able to try again in 2018. give the hormones another 12 months to do their work.
David

Post by David »