Josh Schache up for trade (gone to the Dogs)

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

swoop42
Been liked: 3 times

Post by swoop42 »

So we need another key forward prospect and could possibly have gotten Schache for pick 38 and next years 2nd round selection (prior to the Murray trade).

And yet......

Geez if we don't land Lynch and Schache improves it'll be one shite trade decision to not have a crack.
He's mad. He's bad. He's MaynHARD!
AN_Inkling

Post by AN_Inkling »

The talk on lynch is ridiculous. There's pretty much nothing to suggest we are a real chance of signing him next year. These big signings do take more than a year, so it's possible we have one on the way, but why does it have to be Lynch? There's no real connection.

Much more likely is that, like 16 other teams, we decided that Schache wasn't worth chasing.

We have 3 or 4 guys that can play key forward. Schache was not solving any short term problems. For longer term ones, we have the draft and next year's trade period.

Having looked at KP stocks at other clubs, the panic over the number we have is simply silly. We had as many KPP as the Crows this year. Let's discuss quality, but the quantity was there. We've lost a few, but a few that are very easy to replace or are not worth replacing.
Last edited by AN_Inkling on Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Well done boys!
K
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 17 times

Post by K »

AN_Inkling wrote:The talk on lynch is ridiculous. There's pretty much nothing to suggest we are a real chance of signing him next year. These big signings do take more than a year, so it's possible we have one on the way, but why does it have to be Lynch? There's no real connection.

The other question is: would Lynch be worth what it'd cost?
Now, he's getting the same salary as Beams (for example).
Would he be worth Buddy's salary?
AN_Inkling

Post by AN_Inkling »

^^If the Suns matched the contract offer and we had to trade, the answer is no. If not, it's maybe.

I just don't rate most KPFs anymore. To me they are grossly over valued and no longer have a great impact when it matters. If we pay top dollar and have to trade major assets for one, I think it would be a mistake. I don't want Lynch unless the cost is reasonable which it almost certainly would not be. Spend the money elsewhere, he's not the modern, mobile multi-positional forward that can be worth that kind of outlay. Moore is though.
Well done boys!
john b

Post by john b »

I think Moore might have a bit to do with it as well. I like that we are targeting needs, not just for the Sal of someone being available.
stui magpie
Has liked: 71 times
Been liked: 73 times

Post by stui magpie »

Interesting career comparison between mason Cox and Schache.

https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_ ... 1=C&fid2=C

Both 2 years at an AFL club, Cox is 6 years older but started from scratch whereas Schache had years of junior footy behind him so you could argue, despit the age difference they're at comparable stages in development.

If we pick up talls in the draft in 2017 and 2018 and Cox continues to improve, could be a smart move.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
Pies2016
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 88 times

Post by Pies2016 »

stui magpie wrote:Interesting career comparison between mason Cox and Schache.

https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_ ... 1=C&fid2=C

Both 2 years at an AFL club, Cox is 6 years older but started from scratch whereas Schache had years of junior footy behind him so you could argue, despit the age difference they're at comparable stages in development.

If we pick up talls in the draft in 2017 and 2018 and Cox continues to improve, could be a smart move.
And we both know only one can ruck

The game has changed so much for the 6 nominated forwards in today's game. It looks to me, unless you are capable of applying repeat defensive pressure efforts at 6' 4" or more, you are more likely than ever to be replaced by someone smaller who can.
Cox isn't great in that area either but his extra bow is his rucking ability.
AN_Inkling

Post by AN_Inkling »

Yes, KPFs either have to put on pressure or be multi-positional. Schache is neither, and it's this more than anything that has seen his value plummet. Clubs are waking up to how much of a liability key forwards can be (eg. Jenkins in the GF), particularly in big finals.

Lynch is also neither of these but is good enough to have value. I just think there are much better value options.
Well done boys!
Damien
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 11 times

Post by Damien »

'Collingwood are the Bradmans of Football'
The Herald - 1930