Moderator: bbmods

Dave The Man
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Dave The Man »

I am Da Man
HAL
Been liked: 3 times

Post by HAL »

Dave The Man wrote:http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/collingwood-would-have-taken-nathan-murphy-at-pick-six-if-not-for-jaidyn-stephenson-20171125-gzssxn.html
Oh a web page.
swoop42

Post by swoop42 »

He's a wanker but Liam Pickering apparently believes Murphy was the steal of the draft.
He's mad. He's bad. He's MaynHARD!
HAL

Post by HAL »

When was this exactly?
Bruce Gonsalves
Been liked: 2 times

Post by Bruce Gonsalves »

swoop42 wrote:He's a wanker but Liam Pickering apparently believes Murphy was the steal of the draft.
Murphy a wanker? Really?
bally12

Post by bally12 »

The kid looks like a classy player. Good disposal and well-balanced. Tall, can take a good mark, good at ground level and has good endurance. Looks like a footballer as opposed to athelee, and we sure need more of them.

He doesn't break lines, but not all players need to do that. I think he has the potential to play a variety of positions.

Like all the boys we recruited, they seem to be great kids.

Welcome to the Pies Nathan :)
Raw Hammer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Raw Hammer »

Bruce Gonsalves wrote:
swoop42 wrote:He's a wanker but Liam Pickering apparently believes Murphy was the steal of the draft.
Murphy a wanker? Really?
I believe he means Pickering.
Est. 2002
E

Post by E »

K wrote:
Dave The Man wrote:Brett Anderson says we would taken Murphy IF Stephenson Failed his Medical Tests and Board did not Approve the Pick

https://twitter.com/BAndersonSEN/status ... 3961150469
If BA is correct, then we can think of Stephenson as being equivalent to our pick 39, which eases the pressure surrounding his selection a lot.

The two also ran the same 2km time at the Combine.

Fate seems to have made them interchangeable.
and that is precisely what the club WANTS you to think in the highly unlikely event, the heart issue becomes a problem.

If collingwood took Murphy at 6 when we could have gotten him at 39, then irrespective of our eye for talent, our drafting strategy would be so appalling that they all should be fired.

i dont like what they are saying about Murphy and 6. It makes me think they took a bigger gamble on stephenson than the facts suggest. otherwise why the need to go out with all of this con job bullshit to suck in the gullable fans.
ronrat

Post by ronrat »

What do you want them to say? We wanted someone else but was left with this blonk. If I am gullible at least have the temerity to spell it right. It probably explains why you have only one letter. E G G H E A D is a bit long.
Annoying opposition supporters since 1967.
K
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 17 times

Post by K »

E wrote:
K wrote:
Dave The Man wrote:Brett Anderson says we would taken Murphy IF Stephenson Failed his Medical Tests and Board did not Approve the Pick

https://twitter.com/BAndersonSEN/status ... 3961150469
If BA is correct, then we can think of Stephenson as being equivalent to our pick 39, which eases the pressure surrounding his selection a lot.
Fate seems to have made them interchangeable.
and that is precisely what the club WANTS you to think in the highly unlikely event, the heart issue becomes a problem.

If collingwood took Murphy at 6 when we could have gotten him at 39, then irrespective of our eye for talent, our drafting strategy would be so appalling that they all should be fired.

i dont like what they are saying about Murphy and 6. It makes me think they took a bigger gamble on stephenson than the facts suggest. otherwise why the need to go out with all of this con job bullshit to suck in the gullable fans.
I take it you disliked the club's drafting decisions.

Your second sentence makes sense only if it was reasonable for them to foresee that he'd be available at 39. I doubt it was. It was a surprise to many. And even without major surprises, how can anyone accurately predict the selections of two whole rounds?

As for the con job conspiracy theory... Well, it's possible, but it'd have taken some effort. According to the conspiracy theory, they must have decided to make it more convincing by not putting it out there directly themselves, but instead by persuading BA et al. in the media that it's true. I think BA was emphatic in his belief.

Re. Stephenson, well, see discussion elsewhere on this forum.
MatthewBoydFanClub
Been liked: 1 time

Post by MatthewBoydFanClub »

ronrat wrote:What do you want them to say? We wanted someone else but was left with this blonk. If I am gullible at least have the temerity to spell it right. It probably explains why you have only one letter. E G G H E A D is a bit long.
I posted in another thread, but why can't we be thankful that we got our guy who was rated by the experts between 15 - 30, at 39? We also got a guy at 6, who some thought could have gone number 1, except for his well publicised heart condition. So anyway you want to look at it, it seems a good outcome to me and our recruiting team should get a pat on the back.
Pies2016
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 87 times

Post by Pies2016 »

Now that we recruited him, I've had the chance to speak to a couple of Dragons mates and they have added a bit to his story.
Apparently he carried an ankle injury and concussion into the combine and some were recommending that he shouldn't do the combine because he was always going to be drafted anyway.
There was a concern his combine results would only diminish his " package ". He chose to attend and took his chances and the results are there for all to see. I'm now only guessing here but I would suggest that he wasn't at 100% during the Combine.
The other thing that is very relevant is that he is very young in this draft.
Stephenson is 11 months older than him. His upside is considerable.
I feel confident, as long as he applies himself, we have picked up a real bargain.
Gary Player “ the harder I practice, the luckier I get “
K

Post by K »

Pies2016 wrote:Now that we recruited him, I've had the chance to speak to a couple of Dragons mates and they have added a bit to his story.
Apparently he carried an ankle injury and concussion into the combine and some were recommending that he shouldn't do the combine because he was always going to be drafted anyway.
There was a concern his combine results would only diminish his " package ". He chose to attend and took his chances and the results are there for all to see. I'm now only guessing here but I would suggest that he wasn't at 100% during the Combine.
The other thing that is very relevant is that he is very young in this draft.
Stephenson is 11 months older than him. His upside is considerable.
I feel confident, as long as he applies himself, we have picked up a real bargain.
This is exciting news, P16. Maybe we only were able to get him because of his injury-impaired Combine results scaring off other clubs.
Is his kicking excellent? Can he use both feet? One of his passes in the video highlights seemed exquisite.
E

Post by E »

K wrote:I take it you disliked the club's drafting decisions.

Your second sentence makes sense only if it was reasonable for them to foresee that he'd be available at 39. I doubt it was. It was a surprise to many. And even without major surprises, how can anyone accurately predict the selections of two whole rounds?

As for the con job conspiracy theory... Well, it's possible, but it'd have taken some effort. According to the conspiracy theory, they must have decided to make it more convincing by not putting it out there directly themselves, but instead by persuading BA et al. in the media that it's true. I think BA was emphatic in his belief.

Re. Stephenson, well, see discussion elsewhere on this forum.
nope, i was super happy with the draft. Think we got two players that are perfect for where our list is at right now.

needed x-factor - got it. Stephenson is a beauty (and well worth what seems only a small risk).

Murphy could be anything. I love elite multi sport athletes. I believe they are just winners. think Pendles.

Despite being super happy, i'm still calling bullshit on them claiming they would have gone Murphy at pick 6.
K

Post by K »

^

Okay, E. But another hint it may be true is that Murphy was there at all and was the last one present to be picked. People have been suggesting each top-10-pick club was able to nominate two players for the AFL to invite to be there. It does seem that maybe CFC nominated JS and him.