#2 Jordan De Goey

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

BazBoy
Been liked: 31 times

Post by BazBoy »

I'm not arguing--just explaining why i am right
K
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 17 times

Post by K »

Johnno75
Been liked: 16 times

Post by Johnno75 »

Deep down he really wants to be a TV star. His first big break might be an appearance on RBT.
Human behavioural studies suggest people who use a lot of swear words tend to be more honest & trustworthy.
thebaldfacts

Post by thebaldfacts »

K wrote:https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/jordan-de-goey-caught-drink-driving-20180218-p4z0qf.html

[T. Shaw speculates 6 wks.]
Think that Tony has lost the plot. 6 weeks???

He didn't belt anybody, he didn't crash into parked cars, he didn't lie to the club - fine and community service and move on.
Damien
Been liked: 11 times

Post by Damien »

Lets play jury. How can we punish this dumb f*ck within the rules of his AFLPA contract without hurting the team? Not suspend him. Punish him in a way that hurts him only. I really hope his team mates are pissed at him as much as I am.
'Collingwood are the Bradmans of Football'
The Herald - 1930
Woods

Post by Woods »

The primary consideration for the club is the effect that De Goey's DUI bust has on the rest of the playing group and its ambitions for season 2018. Nothing else matters, least of all what's best for De Goey. As we all know, he's got form with off-field issues so there can be no sentimentality for the 'boy'. He's an adult and fully responsible for his actions in society, not just the club.

So, suspend him for 4-6 games? That just has him coming back into the side to upset the balance of a new midfield set-up that has started the season without De Goey. No, its unfair on the team. There is also the shadow that his return will cast over the club when he returns. The media will blow this up big time and we do not need the distraction.

No, the way to deal with this is to suspend him (on pay) for the whole season withg the view to delist him at year's end depending on his physical condition and contrition. Also prohibit him from attending the club during his suspension. If he wants to pursue his footy career he can train privately (like Keefe and Thomas did).

He's likely going to to seek a contract for 2019 at another club anyway (given the negative feelings for him by both the players and supporters) so for Collingwood's sake lets not hand over a fully fit and firing De Goey to a rival team.

A year off on good money and no footy will be a real test of his determination to be a pro footy player, let alone a star. My guess is that he will blow it, spend the time and money getting pissed and drugged and will be no use to any club by year's end. Whatever, at least we'll know.
K

Post by K »

Damien wrote:Lets play jury. How can we punish this dumb f*ck within the rules of his AFLPA contract without hurting the team? Not suspend him. Punish him in a way that hurts him only. I really hope his team mates are pissed at him as much as I am.
Therein lies a problem.
See e.g.
https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/afl ... zcxgx.html
K

Post by K »

thebaldfacts wrote:...
He didn't belt anybody, he didn't crash into parked cars, he didn't lie to the club - fine and community service and move on.
Please don't give him any ideas. He's already checked two of those items off his bucket list.
Damien
Been liked: 11 times

Post by Damien »

'Collingwood are the Bradmans of Football'
The Herald - 1930
Skids
Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 32 times

Post by Skids »

thebaldfacts wrote:Fine him, get him into some community service and move on.

Don't think .05 are our sponsors anymore. He did the right thing and let the club know.

Move on.
This is the sensible approach and the one I hope the club runs with.
Losing his license is the punishment, is it not?!
Don't count the days, make the days count.
RudeBoy
Been liked: 74 times

Post by RudeBoy »

I suspect he'll get a 2 match suspension, imposed by the 'leadership group'. I hope it's just a fine and community service, but reckon he'll be in the stands for the first couple of weeks. He wouldn't be the first great player who is also a dickhead. Let's hope he wakes up to himself before the club loses patience and cuts him loose.
K

Post by K »

Age article (link on previous page) updated...
It is understood he had been out with former school friends in Torquay and was dropped at his car in Port Melbourne to collect it on the way home with him believing he had sobered up enough during the journey back to Mebourne to be able to drive.
foreigner

Post by foreigner »

Pies Forever
K

Post by K »

^^^
See the quote immediately above your post. Sounds like they don't like having to pick up their cars the following day. Maybe a business opportunity: provide the option of driving people back in their own cars.
Dave The Man
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Dave The Man »

At least he learned something last year as he told the Club Soon as he Could without Lying about it.

Also hurts in the Pocket with his Contract Up and Seasons End
I am Da Man