#2 Jordan De Goey

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

think positive
Has liked: 220 times
Been liked: 88 times

Post by think positive »

You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
K
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 17 times

Post by K »

K wrote:
think positive wrote: lets also not forget that he is still on his P plates, ..., and for all those saying hes only .04 over the limit, no hes not, hes .09 over the limit. P platers have to be 0.00
A good point. It's more like a full-licence driver recording 0.15, which would basically be three times the limit.
And, while repeating the misleading "almost two times the limit" statement, The Age notes that he was 0.005 away (I'd call that a hops-breath away) from an automatic court appearance.
themonk

Post by themonk »

Member 7167 wrote:The indefinite ban is absolute crap. As result both the club and the fans are penalised by fielding a weaker team each week. It is called cutting of your nose to spite your face.
I love it as it keeps it all inhouse, we can bring him in when we feel he is ready.

It excludes outside influence, no one has the right to question our process to assess his attitude and readiness to play.

Let's hope he pulls his finger out & prepares himself for the new season.

Smart move Pies.
E

Post by E »

BucksIsFutureCoach wrote:
RudeBoy wrote:I like the no drink rule, getting a job and doing charitable work. I guess even the fine was to be expected. However, an indefinite suspension seems way over the top to me, unless, as is probably likely, there's been a whole lot happening with JDG which we are not aware of.

The bottom line is the decision to suspend him will weaken our team in the opening rounds of the season, so I'm rather disappointed in that. If it leads to the kid finally growing up, then we may look back and say the club handled the situation well. Time will tell.
This is great for someone like Aish who is on the edge of selection and only needs a break or two to show his class and establish himself in the team. As they say, one man's misfortune is another man's opportunity. Who needs De Goey anyway? He's irrelevant until he decides to pull his head in.
There is just zero chance that James Aish takes DeGoey's spot in the team. I think Aish might break into the team this year (although his comment at AFLX was interesting and funny). But DeGoey might be one of the first 5 picked. Not everyone is ready to accept this, but when he plays well, we look great! Even when he doesn't play well and we look shit, he is still responsible for much of the barely tolerable play!
3rd degree

Post by 3rd degree »

E wrote:
BucksIsFutureCoach wrote:
RudeBoy wrote:I like the no drink rule, getting a job and doing charitable work. I guess even the fine was to be expected. However, an indefinite suspension seems way over the top to me, unless, as is probably likely, there's been a whole lot happening with JDG which we are not aware of.

The bottom line is the decision to suspend him will weaken our team in the opening rounds of the season, so I'm rather disappointed in that. If it leads to the kid finally growing up, then we may look back and say the club handled the situation well. Time will tell.
This is great for someone like Aish who is on the edge of selection and only needs a break or two to show his class and establish himself in the team. As they say, one man's misfortune is another man's opportunity. Who needs De Goey anyway? He's irrelevant until he decides to pull his head in.
There is just zero chance that James Aish takes DeGoey's spot in the team. I think Aish might break into the team this year (although his comment at AFLX was interesting and funny). But DeGoey might be one of the first 5 picked. Not everyone is ready to accept this, but when he plays well, we look great! Even when he doesn't play well and we look shit, he is still responsible for much of the barely tolerable play!
Agree he tore West Coast apart last year it was great. I hope Wills steps up why Jordy has a spell.
" Ohhh Banksy and out comes the Note Book".

www.facebook/the hybernators
Woods

Post by Woods »

GazMan

Post by GazMan »

It's just disappointing imo...The kid has an indiscretion same time last year and attempts to lie his way out of it, and this year derails again! I guess a positive is that he has learnt to fess up.

We shouldn't throw him under the bus by any means but geez, he's certainly testing the patience of both club and supporters!
masoncox
Been liked: 3 times

Post by masoncox »

Member 7167 wrote:The indefinite ban is absolute crap. As result both the club and the fans are penalised by fielding a weaker team each week. It is called cutting of your nose to spite your face.
Yep.
Woods

Post by Woods »

Nope
5 from the wing on debut

Post by 5 from the wing on debut »

E wrote:
5 from the wing on debut wrote:
The .05 limit has been in place here since the 1960's. The common thread amongst those that I know that have been caught drink driving is that they are of sub average intelligence. If they want to crash into each other then that's fine, but they don't, they crash into the rest of us.

I read the rest of your post with interest. Your views on drink driving a fair (especially since you seem to have numerous stories of encounters with the problem).

However, i gotta call you out on the above quote. Highly functioning members of our community ROUTINELY do the same thing. It isn't a crime of stupidity. Its a crime of invincibility. And those that tend to feel invincible are those that you would consider of above average intelligence. I know lots of people of above average intelligence who have done it, believe me.

Maybe only the idiots get caught or cause accidents, but drink driving is not a problem only for the terminally stupid. Of that i can promise you.
I am not sure what you mean by calling me out, as my experience is my experience, but your proposition and mine are not mutually exclusive.

Those I was referring to were primarily people from the local cricket and footy club. We had all sorts there but there was a common link amongst the drink drivers.

Although, if someone routinely drink drives, invincibility feelings are not the cause. The people that you are describing are alcoholics, and fools to go with it.
Damien
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 11 times

Post by Damien »

'Collingwood are the Bradmans of Football'
The Herald - 1930
E

Post by E »

GazMan wrote:It's just disappointing imo...The kid has an indiscretion same time last year and attempts to lie his way out of it, and this year derails again! I guess a positive is that he has learnt to fess up.

We shouldn't throw him under the bus by any means but geez, he's certainly testing the patience of both club and supporters!
I think this one is more of an error of judgment. It sounds like he got in the car a long time after he stopped drinking and just didnt know whether he was over or not.

I know people who keep breathalizers at their house and have had used it after a boozy lunch to confirm that none of us should drive. you would be quite staggered at the results you get sometimes. The same people drinking the same amount of alcohol can yield amazingly different result (and fitter people get higher readings MUCH more easily than fat slobs - finally a reason to be fat!!!).

I have a miraculous ability to be below the limit in circumstances where my friends have blown .15 (and we consumed the same alcohol and appear to have similar body types).

It was an error of judgment, but there is no evidence he was driving dangerously and certainly comparing his indiscretion with what Darren Millane did is not even close to apples to apples.
E

Post by E »

stui magpie
Has liked: 74 times
Been liked: 77 times

Post by stui magpie »

reading between the lines, once you take in all the different media quotes from all parties, it seems clear to me that the club has had concerns about his off field behaviour and commitment to footy for a while, and not just the incident 12 months ago.

This indiscretion gives them the opportunity to jump on him, hard, and he has no come back.

Hopefully this is the making of him. He's only 21, but he's in a business where you either grow up quickly or you're gone
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
Collingwood Crackerjack

Post by Collingwood Crackerjack »