#2 Jordan De Goey

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

Cruisinwithdids

Post by Cruisinwithdids »

The disappointing thing about de Goey is that after last year we would have hoped that he would have kept himself clean. He has risked his career and its his fault. Don't blame anyone for hanging him out to dry - he's done that himself. It's careless, club killing behaviour. There's likely to be other stuff he's done that isn't public , so it's best to trust the club with the severity if the penalty. They have left the door open for round one, so he's lucky that's still on the table.
think positive
Has liked: 220 times
Been liked: 88 times

Post by think positive »

You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
think positive

Post by think positive »

Cruisinwithdids wrote:The disappointing thing about de Goey is that after last year we would have hoped that he would have kept himself clean. He has risked his career and its his fault. Don't blame anyone for hanging him out to dry - he's done that himself. It's careless, club killing behaviour. There's likely to be other stuff he's done that isn't public , so it's best to trust the club with the severity if the penalty. They have left the door open for round one, so he's lucky that's still on the table.
Exactly
qldmagpie67
Been liked: 79 times

Post by qldmagpie67 »

I think there is more to the harshness of the punishment than what the general public and supporters know about.
If it was as simple as a DUI then he would have been dealt with than this.
Even adding to his hand issue from 2017 the punishment seemed a little over the top.
I'm guessing but there has obviously been some other issues over the term of his time at the club that have been noted by the club dealt with in house but this may have well been the straw that broke the camels back.
In today's 24/7 news cycle and the advent of social media clubs and therefore sponsors view issues with players so much differently than that was even 5 years ago.
JDG has obvious talent but that mightn't be enough for him to have a long and fulfilled AFL career.
By the sounds of it he's a bit of a lad which in the past we all put down to being a character a bit like Swanny in his early days.
Eddie spoke of always dreading a 3am phone call when Swanny was at his "social" best because he knew there wouldn't be good news coming from the other end.
The rat pack were infamous for there behaviour but got the job done on the field
Today the player who's a bit of a lad is now known as a rat bag and very replaceable in the view of clubs and the AFL.
Let's all hope that JDG can see his way forward to having a great career
mudlark

Post by mudlark »

HAL
Been liked: 3 times

Post by HAL »

I am glad to hear it. [quoteRudeBoy][quotePiesnchess][quoteRudeBoy]he or she don't think he's?
RudeBoy
Been liked: 76 times

Post by RudeBoy »

K
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 17 times

Post by K »

RudeBoy wrote:...
However, I think it's an immature and potentially damaging approach. The kid needs guidance, he needs mentoring, he needs to get off the grog, and he needs to develop some humility by spending time working with those less fortunate, so he can develop some perspective. Time spent with a good psychologist might be beneficial too. Basically, this is a kid who needs support and guidance, not a kick in the guts. The last thing we should be doing is marginalising him from his teammates by banning him from training with our team. I guess only time will tell whether this draconian approach by our club was justified. I fear it may do more harm than good.
In practical terms, he cannot train with the senior list, because they train when he is working on the construction site. He can train with the VFL boys, because they have regular jobs and train at night.

He was not excluded from the photo shoot. He may also appear tonight (we'll soon find out). He was reported previously to have done a weights session with Howe a few days ago. I don't think his teammates are shunning him, but they may be mad at him.
think positive

Post by think positive »

think positive

Post by think positive »

MatthewBoydFanClub
Been liked: 1 time

Post by MatthewBoydFanClub »

We're not talking here about full time work versus full time football. A bit of landscaping work won't hurt De Goey just as jobs outside football, or partaking in university studies, doesn't hurt other footballers. The charity work is good as well as it gets the footballers in touch with the community and teaches them a bit of humility which is needed to prevent them getting big headed.
K
Been liked: 17 times

Post by K »

Damien
Been liked: 11 times

Post by Damien »

'Collingwood are the Bradmans of Football'
The Herald - 1930
Pies2016
Has liked: 5 times