Should we eradicate cats in Australia?

Nick's current affairs & general discussion about anything that's not sport.
Voice your opinion on stories of interest to all at Nick's.

Moderator: bbmods

Should cats be eradicated from Australia?

Yes
57%
No
43%

Total votes: 23

HAL
Been liked: 3 times

Post by HAL »

They have a mind of their own.
David
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 35 times

Post by David »

"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
Mugwump

Post by Mugwump »

Two more flags before I die!
think positive
Has liked: 212 times
Been liked: 85 times

Post by think positive »

You mean cats? Plenty of selfless dog stories saving thei owners and complete strangers. No one is as loyal as a dog.
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
Mugwump

Post by Mugwump »

Two more flags before I die!
roar

Post by roar »

Mugwump wrote:But I struggle to see why anyone would own a cat rather than a dog if there was a choice.
Too much work involved with owning dogs. With cats: no need to walk it every day, no need to constantly provide companionship, they don't stink up your house, and as you wrote, they don't wreck your house/garden.
kill for collingwood!
stui magpie
Has liked: 71 times
Been liked: 73 times

Post by stui magpie »

^

Get the right dog, no problems.

Mine lives in the back yard, where he can't climb trees or kill native animals, he doesn't trash the garden, he doesn't need constant company and he doesn't stink up the house shitting in a box inside like cats do.

(he tends to shit on the ground near the Corella's cage. I'm not sure if that's a statement :? )
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
swoop42

Post by swoop42 »

He's mad. He's bad. He's MaynHARD!
stui magpie
Has liked: 71 times
Been liked: 73 times

Post by stui magpie »

^

So you're staff. Congrats. :P
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
K
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 17 times

Post by K »

swoop42 wrote:...
Unlike dogs cats actually have complex personalities and so not surprisingly those on the right appear to prefer dogs.
Huh??? You think this is related to politics?
watt price tully

Post by watt price tully »

I like both cats and dogs. Our dog of 15 years had to be put down last year due to his arthritic pain and he just kept falling over (had some neurologial issues). The cat now however (My late mother in laws cat) has become so relaxed recently tht I don't have the heart to get a new dog till she goes to the big Cattery in the sky.

Having said that cats need to be held indoors, have bells on etc.

Above all I love this quote from writer, raconteur, musician, bandleader, former canditate for State Governor of Texas and owner of the Utopia Animal rescue ranch in Texas (amongst other things), the Kinkster:

People may surprise you with unexpected kindness. Dogs have a depth of loyalty that often we seem unworthy of. But the love of a cat is a blessing, a privilege in this world.
“I even went as far as becoming a Southern Baptist until I realised they didn’t keep ‘em under long enough” Kinky Friedman
swoop42

Post by swoop42 »

stui magpie wrote:^

So you're staff. Congrats. :P
Better than being a slave owner :P
Last edited by swoop42 on Thu Jul 19, 2018 3:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
He's mad. He's bad. He's MaynHARD!
David
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 35 times

Post by David »

K wrote:
swoop42 wrote:...
Unlike dogs cats actually have complex personalities and so not surprisingly those on the right appear to prefer dogs.
Huh??? You think this is related to politics?
I've actually thought of this before myself! There are even stories on (admittedly wacky and possibly satirical?) far-right websites warning about cat ownership being emasculating.

I do agree though that people who like dogs might secretly like having someone at hand who adores them unquestioningly and that they can boss around.
"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
K
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 17 times

Post by K »

^ Surely, that's just the counterpart to the stereotype of single women owning cats. Is there any truth to that (i.e. do they own cats at greater rates than the rest of the population)?
think positive
Has liked: 212 times
Been liked: 85 times

Post by think positive »

my sisters are crazy cat ladies - and they live together, no guys on the scene, they are almost exactly 10 years apart! they take in strays, they also have a nutty black and white thing thats supposed to herd sheep, and a couple of horses. no guys!!

me, well im not my dogs master, they are just extra kids! yes the baby tends to chew a few things up here and there, (ok he has cost me a fortune in 18 months!!) but they dont smell at all, they pee and poo outside (unless there is a thunderstorm, then they go in the laundry). Our first poodle was like a cat/person cross, god she was a moody bitch! no dog in there at all! the rest have been typical loyal to a fault. the only thing i hate about travelling is not having my dog to sleep with!!

i dont get people without dogs, there is something fundamentally wrong with them!
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!