Transgender athletes back on the agenda

Nick's current affairs & general discussion about anything that's not sport.
Voice your opinion on stories of interest to all at Nick's.

Moderator: bbmods

think positive
Has liked: 216 times
Been liked: 85 times

Post by think positive »

Im not going to pretend to know how a person in this situation feels, but I totally agree with these 2 posts, as a natural born women, with natural born daughters who play competitive sport. legal or not, it aint right, and it aint fair.
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
David
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 35 times

Post by David »

"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
stui magpie
Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 74 times

Post by stui magpie »

Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
David

Post by David »

"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
think positive

Post by think positive »

stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

To be fair though, that guy he fought would take out any woman in that weight division who didn't have years of legal testosterone boosted muscle training, and he'd probably make short work of most men of similar size who weren't trained.

He deserves credit for the win, it just doesn't prove anything.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
think positive

Post by think positive »

stui magpie wrote:To be fair though, that guy he fought would take out any woman in that weight division who didn't have years of legal testosterone boosted muscle training, and he'd probably make short work of most men of similar size who weren't trained.

He deserves credit for the win, it just doesn't prove anything.
and the only reason i said anything is because david used it as evidence for the defense!
David

Post by David »

stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

I'm starting to think that we need to have two distinct and parallel laws around "gender" and "sex", define them both and use them both.

I don't buy the whole "gender is a social construct" argument as there a physiological, chemical and genetic differences between the sexes which can account (at least in part) for different behaviour and preferences as well as physical attributes.

My experience of raising a son and daughter as largely a single parent, is that kids will play with what they're interested in. I never pushed my daughter to play with dolls, she nagged me to buy them and played with them. She also played with cars and joined in street sports with the boys in the street where the other girls didn't.

So maybe we reach a point where gender can be fluid but sex isn't and they're used differently in different situations.

eg, if someone identifies as a different gender to their sex, the current bits and bobs apply to allow them to do that and be treated accordingly.

However, things like participating in competitive sport could be based on sex rather than gender. If you have 2 X chromosomes, your sex is female irrespective of your gender, if you have an X and Y chromosome, your sex is male.
David

Post by David »

Pi

Post by Pi »

I think the goal posts have already been moved, gender used to define biology now it doesn't. ok, but that doesn't mean biology has disappeared.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bbINLWtMKI

The person in this video you posted has decided to identify as female, legally and socially , ok no problems with pronouns or the language we are all required to use.

But lets be honest; given they spent $$$$ to try and look female and dont; why did they bother?
The current convention seems to be you have to ask someones preferred pronoun before making assumptions.

So why bother having gender as an identity?

Go a step further and not bother with biological segregation in sports.

does that really work? .....
Pi = Infinite = Collingwood = Always
Floreat Pica
HAL
Been liked: 3 times

Post by HAL »

Not that I know of.
David

Post by David »

think positive

Post by think positive »

Last edited by think positive on Fri Dec 14, 2018 6:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pi

Post by Pi »

Pi = Infinite = Collingwood = Always
Floreat Pica