Cheersquad 2004 and beyond

A forum for the use of Collingwood's Cheer Squad - and for anyone else who would like to comment on or contact the Cheer Squad.

Moderator: bbmods

jeff corfe

Cheersquad 2004 and beyond

Post by jeff corfe »

Greetings everyone

I have just read some postings in the cheersquad forum and feel compelled to answer some points which people have raised.

Paul ( magpie1983) and others who wanted to know why the cheersquad committee isnt voted by other members of cheersquad it was explained at the meeting why this doesnt happen, the club now controls the cheersquad gone are the days when a president and clicky friends would control the cheersquad.

Magpie dan and magpie 1983 and others what have you got to offer to be considered to be a part of the committee and why now have you complained when over summer you could of rang cameron and said this is what i have to offer, this is what i can contribute at committe level please put my name down on the list.

The committee isnt the same committee as last year magpie1983 as you well know, at the meeting last night new faces were added to the committe
whilst othes have stepped down or been replaced.

For you others let me remind you 4 years ago this cheersquad was in turmoil , empty seats every week, no passion, no chants, no direction it had nothing!! A maximum of 7 people at times would turn up to banner making it was embarrassing times to see the cheersquad in the state it was in.

Some of us bit the bullett and questioned the way things were being run and it was indeed very stressfull times to us few who had the balls to stand up and say 'enough is enough'
Change came hence the club running the squad via cam mckimm who does an excellent job.

It really hurts and smacks of the greatest disrespect to read negative comments on how the squad is run today, if you dont like it leave and pass your membership onto someone else who is on the waiting list to join, we must never go back to the dark old days of 4 seasons ago.
Some of us are tired and have worked extremely hard at what the squad has achieved over a short period of time and i reckon we deserve a little more respect.

Have a look at the squad today we have chants, we have passion, we have the numbers week in week out, banner making some nights can attract up to 60 people, the club supplies pizza's, we have a president who cares like the rest of us in wanting this cheersquad to be the number one cheersquad in the business.

We have the 'game over' theme!.. name any other cheersquad with the profile that could match that of the collingwood cheersquad.

The changeing of the guard has commenced and we welcome jenelle, maureen and peter to the committee we are sure they will do a fine job.

The positives from last nights meeting are as follows

Prizes to be given to the best personalised banner on a weekly basis, so go grab 2 sticks get some material and write something witty and funny no offensive remarks please.

The gold jacket will be introduced at big games only when the game is over..other weeks we will have a cow bell and a golden game over banner 5 meters by one and a half meters to be raised at the appropiate time led by the ringing of the cowbell.

Sick kiddies from the royal childrens hospital will sit with the squad on away games.

We have asked swinburne university to help us with banner designing.
I wish peter especially all the best with his new role of chant leading you will do a fantastic job mate.

Cheers everyone and go the might collingwood cheersquad 2004
joff
Joe

Post by Joe »

Joffa you have raised some excellent points in regards to the success and direction of the cheersquad in 2004.Nobody has any qualms about the cheersquad being successful in promoting the club.

I rose the points I did as nearly everyone I spoke to was not happy with the way the board had been selected.To me it makes sense as to why the club does it this way as it ensures that a better handle are kept on things.Though this would not be my preferred option for selection.

People are always going to complain about the way things are run,as there is never a perfect way of running an organisation.If committee members were voted in, members would still complain as they may not be happy with the outcome anyway.

I agree that Cameron has been good for the cheersquad from where I stand,he has always been helpful and positive in regards to it.

My point about the meeting time is still valid as it made it very difficult for alot of paid up working members to get to the meeting.Its once a year the time should be reasonable so that most members are able to get there if they choose too.

The points were at no stage made to show disrespect and apologies to all if it came across that way.I personally appreciate the effort that the committee puts in including those that are no longer a part of it.

Nicks is not the ideal medium to raise these points as it has a small penetraton rate for cheeersquad and club members.Nevertheless if some members can benefit from comments made on here then it is worth posting about.

All things considered looking forward to another fun filled year.

CHEERS JOE
mr_nokia

Post by mr_nokia »

magpies/5

discontent from meeting

Post by magpies/5 »

what a fiasco the meeting was and why sould those who were pre selected by whom ever be the best i have many resevations about the whole thing.
the rotation factor what dam rotation same faces same places aways sit on a dam milk crate many ringins to take genuiene paid squad members seats most games
who is johnny taranto and what can he offer me so why should he be on committee
what we need is a troup of life savers as the under current is so great before the first ball has been kicked
it was mentioned that the committee should be elected but it was blown out before it even got a fair hearing
collingwood forever yea
cheer squad wake up before it is to late and let there be a fair voice heard
zoia

Post by zoia »

look as i said i have nothing agasinst anyone on bored at all. What mr nokia said cameron has actually done a very good job as to what ive seen, least he has looked after every member the guy goes out of his way to get to know the names and faces of every cheersquad member. Mr Nokia it doesnt matter when a person actually joins some members or gate paying supporters may not have cash for membership
Joe

Post by Joe »

This thread is identical to the first one that Paul started so I have added my original comments.

Paul,unlike yourself I am not concerned about the overall running of things as it does not have any great bearing on the issues at the club and on my life.The only thing I expect is that these duties are carried out honestly and ethically.

Nevertheless for members that are really into it it,it would be rather concerning that some people have been removed from the board without explanation.Yet these very ones appeared to be the ones trying to make it all work.Yet others have remained who have done nothing but cause division and furthermore others appointed who have never ever been remotely involved on face value.

This would be a concern to members that take it all to heart.Having said that not all is as seems on face value and the decisions could be totally justified.

I may or may not have attended the meeting regardless of the time it was held but I have never heard of such stupidity in my life.That, is too hold a meeting at 6.00pm on a week night.For The Virgin Mother Marys sake how can those that work full time get to such a meeting.This time creates a meeting that is totally unrepresentative of the cheersquad.This fact was made evident by the small turn out.

Please someone explain, not for me but for members who being part of the cheersquad is there whole reason for existing.I am sure that all can be explained logically.It is only fair on them.I make this plea for the silent ones who dont have the courage and strength to raise these issues for themselves.They deserve an answer.
CHEERS JOE
jeff corfe

Post by jeff corfe »

LCM

RE: This Years Committee

Post by LCM »

I'm sorry Joffa,
But im on Mr.Nokia's side refering this topic. I was absoulutly Disgusted when Cam Mkimm SHAFTED Kathy Simpson who is a well respected and a great person. Just because she was an easy target and was willing to give people a go she was shafted 4 NO GIVIN REASON!!!!

sorry Cam but u made a mistake sacking Kathy!

Yours Trully
ME!
Last edited by LCM on Sat Feb 21, 2004 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2004 The Year of The PIES!!!!!!!!
A^D^S^O

Post by A^D^S^O »

I agree with LCM on the sacking of Kathy, it was an absolute disgrace and i am disgusted.

The 2004 comittee looks like this.

Comittee members - Cameron and Joffa
Banner Team - Joffa and Cameron
Construction Manager- Joffa
Art and Design- Cameron
Letters and Spelling - Joffa
Hall Supervisor- Cameron
Match Day Supervisor - Cameron
Property - Cameron and Joffa
Intersate Trips - Joffa
Personlised Banners - Cameron

Now you know why we don't have elections. We have a fine team.

GO PIES 2004
with a winning team Joffa and Cameron
mr_nokia

Post by mr_nokia »

zoia

Post by zoia »

pffft wats the point was made clear at meeting, but no1 was given a chance, did cathy actually get shafted or did she actually stand down
LCM

RE: PAULS QUESTION

Post by LCM »

PAUL,
KATHY WAS ASKED BY CAM TO STAND DOWN. BUT SHE WAS UNDER THE IMPRESSION BY CAM THAT IT WAS GOING TO BE A NEW COMMITTEE. SEEING KATHY IS FAIR AND GENUINE SHE STOOD DOWN TO MAKE ROOM 4 NEW ELECTIVES. BUT CAM STILL ASKED HER TO ORGANISE INTERSTATE TRIPS OMG!!!!

URS TRULLY
me!
Last edited by LCM on Sat Feb 21, 2004 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
magpies are 2 good

Post by magpies are 2 good »

im with mr nokia with all the things he said. i payed my money 2 sit in the cheersquad i reckon i derserve 2 of had a say about the commitee or wot eva it is called. im saying it now coz i could not go 2 the meeting i had other (important) things 2 do. while i have been in the cheersqaud i have noticed that heaps of other people have come 2 the cheersquad and sit then mainly going 2 u joffa (no offence) and u have gone yea sit down.

at 1 game last year i came 2 the match a bit late and noticed sum1 was sitting in my seat that should of not been there was anything done ummmm noooo. also why have the commitee when about 80% of the people do not know who they r coz no1 will introduce them selves etc.
chicky_babe_29

Post by chicky_babe_29 »

I agree with you LCM that Kathy was shafted and no one deserves to be treated in that way and the nerve that Cameron had to go up and ask her to do the hardest job of all by organising the interstate trips, that is an absolute disgrace in its self.

Any one who has been in the cheersquad would know how much work that is put into making game days work. There is only a handfull of people that we really need to thank.

Kathy, you have put your heart and soul into that cheersquad and how do the repay you, by giving you nothing in return.

Another person who did not get a thank you on thursday night was Chrys Glitzos (female) and for you who know her she gave everything she had into that squad last year, she spent endless nights preparing and making up newsletters for the members of the c.s and she worked her behind off to raise some money for that c.s, with the selling and making of the c.s banner c.d. I thank you Chrys for trying to make something of the c.s.

That also goes for Chris Glitzos (male). He worked endlessly to make game days a succes without any fights and arguments between anyone. He got to the ground early and made sure that everything was in place for that days game. I thank both Glitoz's from the bottom of my heart.
Joe

Post by Joe »

I have to agree that Cathy was excellent for the cheersquad as was Lesley.These two always made me feel welcome each time I attended thus encouraging me to want to be a part of it.On the other hand others and in particular one person who shall be left nameless has done nothing but cause me and other people grief.
Kids used to get abused at banner making,that is unacceptable but we have people on the board who talk to some members and refuse to speak to others.Kindergarden stuff.I hope the board can address this at their meetings.
Joffa some of the problems have been fixed but others have been created with so much discontent amongst members.
A democratic voting system would have been my preferred option with Cam overseeing it.
I guess it does not matter that much anyway.
Life goes on.