Another young woman assaulted and killed.

Nick's current affairs & general discussion about anything that's not sport.
Voice your opinion on stories of interest to all at Nick's.

Moderator: bbmods

David
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 35 times

Post by David »

"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
HAL
Been liked: 3 times

Post by HAL »

I prefer to be a male.
watt price tully

Post by watt price tully »

“I even went as far as becoming a Southern Baptist until I realised they didn’t keep ‘em under long enough” Kinky Friedman
stui magpie
Has liked: 71 times
Been liked: 73 times

Post by stui magpie »

^

I agree that it is a very good, factual article that casts down a lot of false current idols. More media people like this please.

I disagree about Clementine Ford who is in my opinion an abject waste of carbon atoms
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

watt price tully wrote:^^ Nail hit head David. Gay Acorn has done it again. Good pick up. She was the writer who put perpective when the AFL overreacted to the sexual Relationship fiasco between Adults.

At the same time she calls out the inadequate right wing boy trolls.
That's the first time I've seen Dan Andrews described that way. :shock:

:P :wink:
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
Culprit
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 30 times

Post by Culprit »

My perception is the media love murders more than any other criminal act. It's like they hit the jackpot when it's a female that has been brutally murdered. I now see a sensationalist headline and just zone out. I have basically become desensitised thanks to the media.

https://www.theage.com.au/national/vict ... 50t62.html
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

Just out of interest, the house where the alleged perpetrator was squatting has been demolished.
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

And another one.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-05-27/ ... e/11151644

A young (25) woman who seems to have gone from employed to couch surfing and sleeping rough, apparently with some drug and mental health issues allegedly murdered by 27 year old man with issues of his own. (ADHD, Austism and personality disorder allegedly)

Somehow I doubt this will get the same level of media comment as other recent cases, but it should. If this plays out the way I expect, it should be a cautionary tale about illicit drugs
David

Post by David »

Both homeless, from what I read. Two people with nothing who society abandoned and left to their own devices, and now one’s dead and the other’s an (alleged) murderer.
"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

Yes and no. I daresay more will come out on the girls story, her mother has apparently denied she was homeless but for whatever reason she was on the street, likely to do with drugs. People in those situations can refuse offers of help that don't fit with where they see themselves, so it's not necessarily like society abandoned them, tad more complicated.
Morrigu

Post by Morrigu »

^ so very very sad - surely we can do better :cry:
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

Looks like the root cause of her homelessness was drugs, a Heroin addiction.

https://www.theage.com.au/national/vict ... 51rpv.html

Very sad tale and, as I surmised ealier, should serve as a cautionary tale for young people wanting to experiment with illicit drugs.

The part I don't get is this bit.
Ms Herron had told Ms Bateman that she was on waiting lists for housing and could not get on the methadone program, prescribed to treat heroin addiction, without a stable address.
I can get why someone with a supportive family would make different choices in those circumstances, and why couch surfing wears thin, but I don't get why a stable address is required to get on a program like that, if it's factual?

From her perspective, she could have nominated the family home even if she didn't live there, any mail for my daughter comes here and she collects it when she comes over, most stuff she gets electronically.

Any thoughts from those in Health like Morrigu or WPT why an address is required? Why can't an email address suffice, or a mobile number? Is it some bureaucratic hangover from wanting to send all communication by post?

In my mind, that's arse about face. If you're a drug addict who, as a result, is unemployed and homeless, and you want to get treatment for your addiction, surely getting a stable residence is something that happens after you get clean, not a pre-requisite to treatment?

On a slightly surreal side note, it seems that the alleged murderer was a volunteer at some Cafe, Lentil as anything, the same cafe that Eurydice Dixon volunteered at.

Interesting business model. :? https://www.lentilasanything.com/
think positive
Has liked: 212 times
Been liked: 84 times

Post by think positive »

It’s awful, I have no idea what the answer is, but certainly shutting down all the mental health facilities has not helped.
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
Skids
Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 30 times

Post by Skids »

Legalise and regulate all drugs.
Don't count the days, make the days count.
David

Post by David »