#33 Rupert Wills

Player President threads here thanks.

Moderator: bbmods

3rd degree

Post by 3rd degree »

I reckon Willsy has shown us a heap , keep the lad.
" Ohhh Banksy and out comes the Note Book".

www.facebook/the hybernators
E

Post by E »

3rd degree wrote:I reckon Willsy has shown us a heap , keep the lad.
Not sure if that is true. failed to get the ball out of congestion for 7 minutes in the end there.... i know he is a good defensive midfielder, but i wonder if we dont need someone more creative....
Clifton Hill-Billy
Been liked: 7 times

Post by Clifton Hill-Billy »

Good final against Geelong and a poor one against GWS. Like many others went missing in the more important final.
"Hey Ma get off the dang roof!"
BazBoy
Been liked: 29 times

Post by BazBoy »

He weren’t the best but neither the worst
Across the 22 there were a few that owe
I'm not arguing--just explaining why i am right
Rogue2k0

Post by Rogue2k0 »

Clifton Hill-Billy wrote:Good final against Geelong and a poor one against GWS. Like many others went missing in the more important final.
Wills had 12 Tackles against GWS - next closest 9 for both teams, 16 disposals at 81% efficiency - 7th best for the game, Equal 5th for Clearances.

While Total disposals a little low, not sure how his game was disappointing compared to others, whose stats were a lot lower than their season averages?
Such as Sidebottom, Mayne, Mihochek, Aish, Hoskin-Elliott and even Pendelbury and Treloar who were well below their averages.,

Wills did and does alot of the heavy work, evident in the game against Geelong when he tackled, crashed and held the ball up when Geelong were on a run, and the rest of the team (other than Grundy) were stuffed.

A bit of a shame Wills has not accepted Collingwood offer, I believe there is room for both Sier and Wills in the team, especially if Beams no guarantee of returning.
Mr Miyagi
Has liked: 48 times
Been liked: 113 times

Post by Mr Miyagi »

Mr Miyagi
Has liked: 48 times
Been liked: 113 times

Post by Mr Miyagi »

Wills wants out.
Jpies

Post by Jpies »

I would like to keep Wills if possible, but can understand why he'd be considering other options. He's a perfectly fine player, but as everyone knows, he's competing for a spot against Sier.

Personally, I think Sier's form has only been a tiny bit better at AFL level. However, I don't see a huge amount of improvement left in Wills, and I think Sier's potential is enormous.

So, yea. Can't begrudge Rupert.
E

Post by E »

Jpies wrote:I would like to keep Wills if possible, but can understand why he'd be considering other options. He's a perfectly fine player, but as everyone knows, he's competing for a spot against Sier.

Personally, I think Sier's form has only been a tiny bit better at AFL level. However, I don't see a huge amount of improvement left in Wills, and I think Sier's potential is enormous.

So, yea. Can't begrudge Rupert.
When Sier has been at his best, our midfield has looked totally unstoppable. Look at that first quarter of the grand final when Sier had something in the tank. His issue is his tank. If not for his tank, he'd potentially be our best mid, that's how good he is.

When Will is at his best, we can slow down the opposition's mids. He isnt creative, he isnt damaging by hand or foot (nor does he have any of Pendles vision). He is fantastic at defensive pressure in there and can lock a ball down if he wants to through tackling ferocity and brute strength. It is of limited utility.

Prefer Sier, and understand why we dont have the luxury of two of these types of players on our list. Its kind of like the Grundy Witts conundrum. Witts was awlways AFL caliber, but Grundy is best in the comp type ruckman and witts was too good to be a backup.
RudeBoy
Been liked: 73 times

Post by RudeBoy »

The problem, however, is that Sier has been on our list for 3 or 4 yrs now and still isn't fit enough to play out a game. We all know he has enormous talent, but if he is not prepared to put the hard yards in, then he will never realise that talent.

Wills on the other hand, has a lot less talent, but seems determined to put in the hard work, to force his way into our team.

If the club is confident they can get Sier to take his footy seriously and become the midfield beast we know he is capable of, then of course we would be better to invest in Sier over Wills. But that's a big "if".
MagpieDynasty

Post by MagpieDynasty »

RudeBoy wrote:The problem, however, is that Sier has been on our list for 3 or 4 yrs now and still isn't fit enough to play out a game. We all know he has enormous talent, but if he is not prepared to put the hard yards in, then he will never realise that talent.

Wills on the other hand, has a lot less talent, but seems determined to put in the hard work, to force his way into our team.

If the club is confident they can get Sier to take his footy seriously and become the midfield beast we know he is capable of, then of course we would be better to invest in Sier over Wills. But that's a big "if".
Very similar players in both being Bulls around the contest...This is seemingly a precarious coin flip choice between the two for the club. I'm in your camp RB, IF is one of the shortest yet longest words in the dictionary!

Time and again we've seen plenty of players arrive oozing talent but the attitude doesn't always match. I'd always take attitude over talent because that is the constant. Post 2018 it seems Sier may have adopted the 'how easy is this' approach and allowed himself to be distracted from whats required. Wills on the other hand stuck to the task and was duly rewarded. He was one of the most 'honest' contributors throughout the minor and finals rounds. I love his old fashioned football look and approach.

Wills for me...
The new Magpie Dynasty is just a season away!!
Pies2016
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 87 times

Post by Pies2016 »

RudeBoy wrote:The problem, however, is that Sier has been on our list for 3 or 4 yrs now and still isn't fit enough to play out a game. We all know he has enormous talent, but if he is not prepared to put the hard yards in, then he will never realise that talent.

I would think Siers new contract would heavily lean towards KPIs that require him to be somewhere close to his peak physical condition.
There is no doubt that new two year contract is recognition of his potential upside because he wouldn’t be getting that offer if they believed his last two years were his ceiling.
The ball is now firmly in Siers court
RudeBoy

Post by RudeBoy »

On the other hand P4s, contracting enables us to trade him elsewhere, if we so wish.

I hope he says and gets super fit in readiness to become an automatic best 22 next season.
stui magpie
Has liked: 71 times

Post by stui magpie »

Lets not forget Sier has had a bad run with injuries and put himself through a Thai mick boxing camp in late 2017 to get a jump on the 2018 pre season.

He's as good as Wills inside and better outside and he's 3 years younger so I'll keep him.

wills as I read does have a contract offer on the table but is looking at his options. At 27 he'd be starting midfield at many clubs, he doesn't have much time left to maximise his playing and earning capacity.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
3rd degree

Post by 3rd degree »

stui magpie wrote:Lets not forget Sier has had a bad run with injuries and put himself through a Thai mick boxing camp in late 2017 to get a jump on the 2018 pre season.

He's as good as Wills inside and better outside and he's 3 years younger so I'll keep him.

wills as I read does have a contract offer on the table but is looking at his options. At 27 he'd be starting midfield at many clubs, he doesn't have much time left to maximise his playing and earning capacity.
However there is talk that he is immortal so he will play for a long period.
" Ohhh Banksy and out comes the Note Book".

www.facebook/the hybernators