What made you sad today?

Nick's current affairs & general discussion about anything that's not sport.
Voice your opinion on stories of interest to all at Nick's.

Moderator: bbmods

Morrigu

Post by Morrigu »

watt price tully wrote:Using live possums for greyhound training. FFS close this barbarism down. We don’t need greyhound racing & while we’re at it close down horse racing. Give the cruel animal gambling industry 5-7 years to wind down then get rid of it.

https://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2019-11- ... fmredir=sm
Absolutely disgusting and sickening :evil: :evil: :evil:

Couldn't agree more but I'd give them less time!
think positive
Has liked: 216 times
Been liked: 86 times

Post by think positive »

Morrigu wrote:
watt price tully wrote:Using live possums for greyhound training. FFS close this barbarism down. We don’t need greyhound racing & while we’re at it close down horse racing. Give the cruel animal gambling industry 5-7 years to wind down then get rid of it.

Absolutely disgusting and sickening :evil: :evil: :evil:

Couldn't agree more but I'd give them less time!
less time and maybe use the owners to train sharks out deep deep where no one can hear you scream
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
think positive

Post by think positive »

Morrigu wrote:
think positive wrote:Do you by any chance have a name for the koala hospital? I can spare a bit more too, koalas are just so, I don’t know, loveable, and so vulnerable, we have to save them, cheers
I do indeed - https://www.koalahospital.org.au

Did you see this? https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-11-12/ ... e/11693936

What wonderful people!!!!!
thanks for the links, i just donated, and yes i did see that article, just amazing. Id love to babysit!! Fivefingerrescue victoria does similar, mainly with injured kangaroos around the lancefield area, they go through a lot of tv sets!
cheers
luvdids

Post by luvdids »

Being basically told you're not wanted somewhere. Surprised at how upsetting it actually is.
See ya
Wokko

Post by Wokko »

luvdids wrote:Being basically told you're not wanted somewhere. Surprised at how upsetting it actually is.
See ya
What happened?
KenH

Post by KenH »

Wokko wrote:
luvdids wrote:Being basically told you're not wanted somewhere. Surprised at how upsetting it actually is.
See ya
What happened?
"K" is what happened! In the sports section.
Cheers big ears
Wokko

Post by Wokko »

Ahh, yeah bit of a below the belt, uncalled for comment. Bit rich to call this forum's users aggressive then throw out the personal insults.

Looks like K took some constructive criticism and a suggestion a little too personally.
David
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 37 times

Post by David »

KenH wrote:
Wokko wrote:
See ya
What happened?
"K" is what happened! In the sports section.
"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
stui magpie
Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 74 times

Post by stui magpie »

See ya
Don't take it personally, and Happy Birthday.

I found the whole Board a better experience without K's "contributions"but that's just my opinion.

The only people's opinion of you that should count are those you're actually close to and respect. Everyone else can get 4Nik8ed
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
think positive

Post by think positive »

I know the feeling.

Not taking things personally is easy to say, but when comments are directed at you personally...

I do agree with the aggression part, this place used to be far more friendly and supportive. On every board.

But it’s never fair to blame one person.

I blame the umpires!
Skids
Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 31 times

Post by Skids »

So what happens to the 30,000+ registered racehorses in Australia, the 3,600 trainers, the 1000 jockeys, the farriers, the vets, the employees at the 360 race courses and the others indirectly employed in the industry?

There's almost $20 billion wagered annually (the government skim around 15% of that).
It's the 3rd most attended sport in Australia after AFL & NRL.

You can't just 'get rid' of it.
Don't count the days, make the days count.
think positive

Post by think positive »

Skids wrote:

So what happens to the 30,000+ registered racehorses in Australia, the 3,600 trainers, the 1000 jockeys, the farriers, the vets, the employees at the 360 race courses and the others indirectly employed in the industry?

There's almost $20 billion wagered annually (the government skim around 15% of that).

maybe itds a step too far, but certainly it needs a massive step up in regulations and checks. in a perfect world that would be it, but then so many animals would not have life if not for racing etc. but we need to do it so much better. money is not a good reason to keep up cruel practices.
Skids
Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 31 times

Post by Skids »

think positive wrote:
Skids wrote:

maybe itds a step too far, but certainly it needs a massive step up in regulations and checks. in a perfect world that would be it, but then so many animals would not have life if not for racing etc. but we need to do it so much better. money is not a good reason to keep up cruel practices.
Totally agree. The majority of the horses (and I assume dogs) are treated with a heap of love and care, the one or two clowns who do the wrong thing give the whole game a bad image.... it's the same in everything.
It's funny how people can have an opinion, without probably even being anywhere near a stable in their life.

I've part owned 5 race horses and am currently involved in another (we just spent $3.5k getting a throat issue fixed). All 5 that have retired are still kicking around, we made sure we found good homes for them. I went and saw old Joyous Harmony the last time I was in Geraldton and she is having a great post racing life on a farm up there, she gets taken down the beach at least once a week and lives a cruisy life.

If racing were to stop, most of those 30,000+ horses would end up at the abattoir, so who would win out of that scenario?
Don't count the days, make the days count.
Morrigu

Post by Morrigu »

stui magpie
Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 74 times

Post by stui magpie »

Just on the firefighters, and yeah the 2 guys dying is really sad, whether they are getting paid depends on where they work.

Yeah they're volunteers and so aren't paid by the fire service, but most organisations provide paid leave for emergency services volunteers. Public Health certainly does, so they are drawing their normal pay, not using annual leave or going without pay.

If they work for a small business or are self employed, then that's different but it serves to show why catchcry's like "pay the volunteer fire fighters" aren't that accurate
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.