#33 Rupert Wills

Player President threads here thanks.

Moderator: bbmods

jonmac1954
Been liked: 14 times

Post by jonmac1954 »

E wrote:
jonmac1954 wrote:
E wrote: Exactly. There is zero chance that they play together. I think the two year deal given to Sier proves who the club considers thew better option. I just hope the finals series showed everyone just how much better it is to have a bull with creative instinct rather than having a bull whose sole skill is to bottle up play (12 times in a row in our forward line when we needed just one clearance to win a preliminary final).

Wills is lucky that Sier's problems this year meant that the club had to keep him around for one more year as insurance (even though i think we all know he isn't the answer to any legitimate question involving premierships).

I wonder how many integral pieces of the puzzle in the prime of their career and fully fit get offered one year deals??
Don't ever change E you are as predictable as the sunrise lol.

We were lucky that we had Wills on the list so that we could try to penetrate that thick skull of Sier's that half baked semi-professionalism doesn't roll at the club anymore.

Sier is the better athlete and footballer but hasn't yet showed a fraction of the desire of Wills.
how do you know i've never changed? You have only been on this site for 4 days. :D :D

You are absolutely right of course. It turned out to be a blessing that we had Wills and that he is close enough to AFL calibre that the drop off wasnt too bad. Actually, it was hard to notice the difference between Wills and Sier until it mattered most.

I really love Wills. His desire and effort and professionalism cant be faulted. I would have said the same thing about Blair but many turned on him too.

At the end of the day, there are many reasons why players get a game. And sometimes they do ok. I think Cox is another example. We simply dont have a big guy. Cox got a chance and did enough to get more chances. Doesnt mean he is the answer either. Lynch, Cameron, Kennedy and Cox. Am i right?
I didn't say YOU don't ever change . . I said don't ever change.

No argument that Sier has the better skillset but that is useless without the application and desire to do the constant hard yards to make it.
E

Post by E »

jonmac1954 wrote:
E wrote:
You are absolutely right of course.
I didn't say YOU don't ever change . . I said don't ever change.

No argument that Sier has the better skillset but that is useless without the application and desire to do the constant hard yards to make it.
see my quote above! apologies if i screwed up the quote. i'm trying not to make the post too big but i'm not very good at it.
LaurieHolden
Has liked: 147 times
Been liked: 151 times

Long live the Wombat

Post by LaurieHolden »

May this thread never die...

The Wombat set to make his mark in 2020...https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/bre ... 53o0f.html
"The Club's not Jock, Ted and Gerry" (& Eddie)
2023 AFL Premiers
LaurieHolden

7News staff predict the breakout player for each team

Post by LaurieHolden »

The love for the Wombat continues...

https://7news.com.au/sport/afl/your-afl ... m=referral
2023 AFL Premiers
Pebbles Rocks

Re: 7News staff predict the breakout player for each team

Post by Pebbles Rocks »

LaurieHolden wrote:The love for the Wombat continues...

https://7news.com.au/sport/afl/your-afl ... m=referral
That choice is frankly a reflection of how bad that clickbait is.
I really like Rupert for his determination and courage but FFS he is 26 and has been on the list for about 5 years.
If anything 2019 was his breakout year.

Surely Quaynor or Tyler Brown would have been more astute choices?
"You must be a parking ticket, cuz you got fine written all over you" Glen Quagmire
Albert Parker

Post by Albert Parker »

^or Nathan Murphy, agreed
One team, one dream - the Pies and this year's premiership
LaurieHolden

Post by LaurieHolden »

The Rupe, the rupe, the rupe is on fire.
2023 AFL Premiers
masoncox
Been liked: 3 times

Post by masoncox »

Gave him 5 votes on the Nix votes scoreboard.
Slowly rising.
Sicks Bux

Post by Sicks Bux »

Some people seem to think that it's a given that Sier and Wills can't play in the same team. I don't really get the logic behind it. They're both similar body types who are built to win the contested footy. So is Adams, Maynard and Greenwood. I don't see the problem with having them both in the team, especially in the wet when it's all about the bash and crash.
Cam
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 22 times

Post by Cam »

Wanted to drop him last week after 2 tackles. Can't drop him now after 5 tackles and a ton of dirty work last night. His efforts made us harder at the contest.
Get back on top.
MJ23

Post by MJ23 »

He was very good last night. Big reason for our clearance rate changes from last two weeks. Just needs a consistent run I think.
Sier is younger tho, and more damaging by hand.
If Adams was out you would need them both.
"Even when Im old and gray, I wont be able to play but Ill still love the game"
Michael Jordan
Lazza

Post by Lazza »

Sicks Bux wrote:Some people seem to think that it's a given that Sier and Wills can't play in the same team. I don't really get the logic behind it. They're both similar body types who are built to win the contested footy. So is Adams, Maynard and Greenwood. I don't see the problem with having them both in the team, especially in the wet when it's all about the bash and crash.
I have debated this issue for many years. Should it be horses for courses or do you always play your best available team? I now believe that it is best to play the best available team at all times as long as the all important match ups work.
Don't confuse your current path with your final destination. Just because it's dark and stormy now doesn't meant that you aren't headed for glorious sunshine!
LaurieHolden

Post by LaurieHolden »

MJ23 wrote:He was very good last night. Big reason for our clearance rate changes from last two weeks. Just needs a consistent run I think.
Sier is younger tho, and more damaging by hand.
If Adams was out you would need them both.
Spot on. Wills was a late developer but has clearly worked to meet the expectations and the task set for him by the Club. When Greenwood went out, Wills grabbed the opportunity. He appears to be making incremental improvements each game.

Sier clearly needed more time to meet similar internal benchmarks, I suspect the delay was mostly above the shoulders. He's on the cusp of selection, I reckon it'll be this week against the hard bodied Cats and WCE likely the week after.
Different players but I suspect the likes of Varcoe, Phillips, C Brown on their current output will be making way.

Having Wills and Sier types in the team allows link players like Treloar and Sidey to thrive.
2023 AFL Premiers
E

Post by E »

i admit that he tries really hard. he is getting more and more of it.
Unfortunately, he isnt creative with the ball. when he is involved in the play we tend to be overusing the ball because his disposal is usually clunky and unhelpful (other than the fact that the opposition doesnt have it).

Pendles and Adams much more creative and damaging.
LaurieHolden

Post by LaurieHolden »

LoL, hooked him. May this thread never grow old.
2023 AFL Premiers