Chinese imperialism and future Australian sovereignty

Nick's current affairs & general discussion about anything that's not sport.
Voice your opinion on stories of interest to all at Nick's.

Moderator: bbmods

think positive
Has liked: 216 times
Been liked: 85 times

Post by think positive »

pietillidie wrote:
think positive wrote:My daughters friend who killed her self was Chinese, her mum told me all about what it was like growing up in China. Hell on earth. She was delivering babies in a hospital when she was 13.

You enjoy your little circle here guys, I don’t give a ****. China will never accept responsibility for this, they never tell the truth about anything.
Great, you've known a grand total of one Chinese experience. Do you know how many Koreans I know, how long I lived there, and how many hours per week I spend with my head in Korean culture, and yet how hesitant I am to make calls about the government and society?

You need to stop and doubt your knowledge of China more. Much, much more. Any fool can crap on about governments in poor developing countries. That's piss easy. They're almost always rubbish, brutal and corrupt. This is not some trivial brand that can be influenced by Facebook outrage; 1.4B people aren't going away. But they would benefit from more solutions and less scapegoating and vitriol, something which looks particularly pathetic coming from an Anglosphere with monumental problems of its own.
thats was one example, and i have to say, i couldnt give a **** about korea either! You crap on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on about the States, so whats the difference?

as for poorly developed, only because they choose to be. they certainly have plenty of knowledge and technology, but they choose to keep their poor me status
https://www.cnbc.com/2018/04/25/what-tr ... trade.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_c ... tal_wealth
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
stui magpie
Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 74 times

Post by stui magpie »

David wrote:
stui magpie wrote:There's over 1 billion people there. If you could drop a nuke and take out their entire political infrastructure I'd do it in a heartbeat, but only if I had some assurance that what replaced it wasn't worse.
If human life is so expendable, what exactly are we fighting for again? Nothing China has done or probably ever would do is anywhere near as bad as what you’re suggesting.
Reading back you really got your panties in a bunch about this. I consider it the same as the Trolley Car meme just on a bigger scale, but really 1 death is a tragedy, 100k+ is a statistic.

I don't buy that the 2nd largest economy on the planet is a poor developing nation, it's an authoritarian dictatorship with very few redeeming features .

I don't understand why you get so excited. If you gave someone the choice to blow up a busload of Chinese tourists or let their own family die, the tourists will be toast 95% of the time, does that make that person racist or lacking ethics or humanity?
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
Morrigu

Post by Morrigu »

stui magpie wrote:Is it too late to just going back to dropping a nuke on Bejing? A large one?

I read an article today that up around 70% of people in the US, UK and AUS blame China for Covid19 and will actively look to not buy Chinese stuff.

#****
Yep we have been actively trying to do this for some time - takes a bit of research and would be good if the labelling on many products was clearer but it's doable. Replaced the iphone and ipad, scrutinize all food stuffs, clothing, electronics and hubby trys to only buy Oz made tools where possible - they are sometimes a little more expensive but the upside is the quality and lifespan is far superior to the cheap Chinese crap!

Our philosophy is seek out and buy products from ABC (anywhere but China) - hope more people do this!

Not solely related to China but good and about time - wish they would revise residential property purchases as well.

Foreign deals set to face tougher security checks

A new security test would be imposed on all foreign investments that threaten the national interest in a federal government plan to fix legal gaps that leave critical assets exposed to overseas control.

The test would toughen powers to block foreign takeovers and investments in technology, energy, communications, ports and other sectors considered crucial to national security.

Stronger compliance laws would also give regulators more power to investigate companies that flouted the law or broke conditions on deals, with penalties that could force them to sell the assets.

The extensive changes would include a power to "call in" companies that had already gained approval to buy Australian assets, allowing the Treasurer to impose new conditions if concerns emerged after a deal was concluded.

https://www.theage.com.au/politics/fede ... 54zki.html
“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

Good stuff and yeah, there's residential property being used as the equivalent of a swiss bank account. If you're in china, got some cash but are worried it might be confiscated, buy some property in Aus, better than money in the bank.

The ABC purchasing will get hard with electronics, they've got so far into that market and deliberately allow people to be paid rubbish
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
pietillidie
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 28 times

Post by pietillidie »

think positive wrote:
pietillidie wrote:
think positive wrote:My daughters friend who killed her self was Chinese, her mum told me all about what it was like growing up in China. Hell on earth. She was delivering babies in a hospital when she was 13.

You enjoy your little circle here guys, I don’t give a ****. China will never accept responsibility for this, they never tell the truth about anything.
Great, you've known a grand total of one Chinese experience. Do you know how many Koreans I know, how long I lived there, and how many hours per week I spend with my head in Korean culture, and yet how hesitant I am to make calls about the government and society?

You need to stop and doubt your knowledge of China more. Much, much more. Any fool can crap on about governments in poor developing countries. That's piss easy. They're almost always rubbish, brutal and corrupt. This is not some trivial brand that can be influenced by Facebook outrage; 1.4B people aren't going away. But they would benefit from more solutions and less scapegoating and vitriol, something which looks particularly pathetic coming from an Anglosphere with monumental problems of its own.
thats was one example, and i have to say, i couldnt give a **** about korea either! You crap on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on about the States, so whats the difference?

as for poorly developed, only because they choose to be. they certainly have plenty of knowledge and technology, but they choose to keep their poor me status
https://www.cnbc.com/2018/04/25/what-tr ... trade.html
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_c ... tal_wealth
One example of a grand sum of three, all of whom no doubt confirm your 'dirty liars' yellow peril racism.

'They' choose to, do they? 1.4B people choose to stay in 'poor me' status? Do you know anything at all about economic development? Have you a clue how many hundreds of millions of Chinese have moved from dire poverty in recent decades? I know you don't care, but get your facts straight.

And you can't see a difference between our knowledge of China and knowledge of the US? Is that a joke? The US is a greatly shared and accessible culture and society with which we engage everyday. We would both know far more about American culture than we do about Australian Aboriginal culture. We can't even read a Chinese street sign let alone pick up a phone and engage a Chinese business. I have American family, friends and colleagues, and I'm yet to detect much problem communicating with them about any subject whatsoever. Come to think of it, I've had zero difficulty ever. Not once on any topic simple or complex.

That said, I do shake my head at some views and I detect a competitive intensity which I don't see in Australia and the UK, but I do see in Korea. And I concede the world of gun wavers and nutty evangelicals is much further away from me than liberal urban America, although having grown up a conservative evangelical helps.

Of course you don't care about Korea. I never expected you to. Just more Asians who work harder than you yet are far less self-entitled. And one thing self-entitled people hate is competition from people they consider inferior.
In the end the rain comes down, washes clean the streets of a blue sky town.
Help Nick's: http://www.magpies.net/nick/bb/fundraising.htm
David
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 35 times

Post by David »

stui magpie wrote:
David wrote:
stui magpie wrote:There's over 1 billion people there. If you could drop a nuke and take out their entire political infrastructure I'd do it in a heartbeat, but only if I had some assurance that what replaced it wasn't worse.
If human life is so expendable, what exactly are we fighting for again? Nothing China has done or probably ever would do is anywhere near as bad as what you’re suggesting.
Reading back you really got your panties in a bunch about this. I consider it the same as the Trolley Car meme just on a bigger scale, but really 1 death is a tragedy, 100k+ is a statistic.

I don't buy that the 2nd largest economy on the planet is a poor developing nation, it's an authoritarian dictatorship with very few redeeming features .

I don't understand why you get so excited. If you gave someone the choice to blow up a busload of Chinese tourists or let their own family die, the tourists will be toast 95% of the time, does that make that person racist or lacking ethics or humanity?
I mean, it’s blatantly obvious that there’s a nasty and hateful dehumanisation of Chinese people in these posts. Note you said "a busload of Chinese tourists" and not a busload of random people. Of course, many people would still choose to save their family members in that scenario too. But the minute that Chinese people in the bus changes the equation, then of course that’s racist. The dictionary definition, basically.

100k deaths is 100k tragedies, needless to say.
Last edited by David on Fri Jun 05, 2020 7:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
think positive

Post by think positive »

Replying to PTIFD : You have no idea how hard I work. There has never been a silver spoon in my mouth, And I have never ever been self entitled. Truth is I have never expected anything from anyone, I look at anything that comes easy as a bonus.

You, however, since you have decided to assassinate my character, come across as a self entitled, arrogant know it all who doesn’t give a stuff about the lowly opinion of those (ie everyone) you see as beneath you.

You read to reply, for instance I said they choose to, and then linked 2 articles that speak of the Chinese Government, not the 1.4b people, and you again decide I’m a racist based on what you incorrectly interpreted in my post.

I don’t know how many times I’ve read your self important posts, slagging shit at people, telling them how uneducated they are, and thought why the **** do they take it? Why does he never get warned?

You can slag off at me all you want, I’ve he belittled by far better men than you!you remind me of my father, build yourself up on the pain of others.

Obama has always struck me as the near perfect bloke, educated, yet humble, doesn’t need to ridicule others to make his point. And people listen.
think positive

Post by think positive »

David wrote:
stui magpie wrote:
David wrote: If human life is so expendable, what exactly are we fighting for again? Nothing China has done or probably ever would do is anywhere near as bad as what you’re suggesting.

I mean, it’s blatantly obvious that there’s a nasty and hateful dehumanisation of Chinese people in these posts. Note you said "a busload of Chinese tourists" and not a busload of random people. Of course, many people would still choose to save their family members in that scenario too. But the minute that Chinese people in the bus changes the equation, then of course that’s racist. The dictionary definition, basically.
I’m damn sure Stui meant any tourists and I’m damn sure you know that, yet you have to bring out your favourite label
David
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 35 times

Post by David »

I’m damn sure he didn’t.
"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

I deliberately picked chinese tourists cos I knew you'd bite.

If it's your family, the race/nationality of the people on the bus is irrelevant, you'll save your family even though the trolley car meme is about the greater good.

The race/nationality of the tourists becomes relevant if they're all strangers to you, but you climbed all over it .
Morrigu

Post by Morrigu »

David wrote: I mean, it’s blatantly obvious that there’s a nasty and hateful dehumanisation of Chinese people in these posts.
Bullshite not all Chinese people at all! For the CPC and Chinese people (and any other people anywhere) who continue to decimate so many animal species, inflict horrific cruelty all for greed, status and quackery yep - so bloody what it is well deserved!!

Probably doesn’t worry people like you, you’ll just take your offspring to a zoo for a days entertainment.
“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
pietillidie

Post by pietillidie »

think positive wrote:Replying to PTIFD : You have no idea how hard I work. There has never been a silver spoon in my mouth, And I have never ever been self entitled. Truth is I have never expected anything from anyone, I look at anything that comes easy as a bonus.

You, however, since you have decided to assassinate my character, come across as a self entitled, arrogant know it all who doesn’t give a stuff about the lowly opinion of those (ie everyone) you see as beneath you.

You read to reply, for instance I said they choose to, and then linked 2 articles that speak of the Chinese Government, not the 1.4b people, and you again decide I’m a racist based on what you incorrectly interpreted in my post.

I don’t know how many times I’ve read your self important posts, slagging shit at people, telling them how uneducated they are, and thought why the **** do they take it? Why does he never get warned?

You can slag off at me all you want, I’ve he belittled by far better men than you!you remind me of my father, build yourself up on the pain of others.

Obama has always struck me as the near perfect bloke, educated, yet humble, doesn’t need to ridicule others to make his point. And people listen.
I think you're talking to the mirror there as you try to boost yourself by beating up on distant, voiceless others. Then, when someone questions you you it's their fault, straight from the Trump playbook of emotional immaturity. Nope, your racial animosity is all yours; not your father's, not mine, not anyone else's. You take the free kick because it feels good. Brings you some relief. One minute it's Muslims, the next it's those who see that Trump's a mentally unfit moron, and now it's China.

You can hide all you like behind the term 'Chinese government', but I don't buy it because you don't know anything serious about them, either. Can you name one Chinese politician of the centrist wing? Do you know how views differ from left to right? The fact is you wouldn't know where to start even describing the various wings and factions. (You do know just like us, Chinese politics has factions and different competing groups jostling for power, right?). Nope, you're just using China and the CCP as a smokescreen for getting at 'the dirty, lying, cruel Chinese'.

Can you even tell us one thing about Chinese politics? Do you have a rudimentary mental map of how it works, how the communist party is structured, how the regions fit into the whole, and so on? Of course you can't and don't. Any fool can repeat bits of the best or worst they found in the news about any particular place. But having enough information to humanise a place, and discuss in terms similar to the way you might discuss Australian politics and society, is quite a different matter.

The fact is you don't want to humanise China. You want to racially abuse China to make yourself feel good. That's on you.
Last edited by pietillidie on Fri Jun 05, 2020 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
think positive

Post by think positive »

Nah, I have a rabbit for that
pietillidie

Post by pietillidie »

stui magpie wrote:
David wrote:

This is the bit that gets my panties in a bunch. Australia has a population of what, 25M people? China has just brought hundreds of millions of people out of extreme poverty of the worst kind. Do the numbers: hundreds of millions of people. I dare say 1.4B people, even in collective form, even with typically thuggish governments, with all of the same weaknesses and tendencies all humans possess, have redeeming features.

You don't buy the development story because you don't want to, even though it has been repeated again and again the world over, and China looks just like most of the others at this level of development. Your argument is special pleading because in your mind, China is somehow different. You've deemed it bad, deemed it different, and want it to be so on very slim information. Sure, the scale is different, and therefore it is more powerful and worrisome by definition, but that doesn't mean the development dynamics themselves are off course.

At worst, you should be concerned. Even very concerned, although for me the level is concerned, but only as much as for any developing nation, whether be Brazil, Turkey or Ghana. That would make sense. And being concerned or very concerned means taking productive action, like not stoking the populist fires for one, rather than submitting to the fate of pre-determined expectations.
pietillidie

Post by pietillidie »

The most annoying thing about nationalism, racism and fear is that they make serious discussion and analysis of a subject impossible. It does my head in.