George Floyd Police killing and protests

Nick's current affairs & general discussion about anything that's not sport.
Voice your opinion on stories of interest to all at Nick's.

Moderator: bbmods

Pies4shaw
Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 87 times

Post by Pies4shaw »

The guy was asleep in his vehicle. Why all the cavilling?

The Chief of Police has resigned and the Mayor has demanded the immediate sacking of the officer concerned. Nobody in a position of authority considers this to be defensible.
Last edited by Pies4shaw on Sun Jun 14, 2020 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
think positive
Has liked: 215 times
Been liked: 85 times

Post by think positive »

In a drive through while waiting for his food, maybe the guy behind him was hungry.

You do know it’s actually illegal to be intoxicated in the drivers seat if a car, wether it’s running or not yeah?

Why do people expect cops to be super heroes? They are just normal every day people with the same fears as everyone else. The guy fought 2 of them off, pinched a taser and tried to taser the cops, should they let him go and he attacks an innocent down the street? Or they let him sleep it off in the drivers seat of his car in the drive through, and bugger anyone else who wants food, or the fast food place earning an honest living?

Floyd, as much as he had a long criminal history, did not deserved to die, in my mind it’s plain and simple murder. That doesnt mean this one was. And by the way cops killed an unarmed white man the other day, didn’t even make front page of the local paper.

So in reply to here we go again? No not necessarily. Get the full story first
Last edited by think positive on Sun Jun 14, 2020 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
think positive

Post by think positive »

And in answer to your edit, maybe they know it’s pointless right now, people want change, I’m not saying change isn’t needed and maybe the cop is in the wrong, but based on the video I won’t condemn him immediately.

I tell you what though, pity the next cop called to a disturbance by a black man. He’s going to be in an absolute no win situation.
Pies4shaw

Post by Pies4shaw »

I actually give up.
Wokko

Post by Wokko »

Pies4shaw wrote:I actually give up.
Is that a promise?

The guy turned and fired the taser at police that he stole from them after resisting arrest, assaulting a cop, stealing his taser and running away, what the **** do thinks going to happen if you fire a weapon at cops?
Pies4shaw

Post by Pies4shaw »

And yet another indefensible position in light of the responses by the now ex Chief of Police and the Mayor.

To be fair, though, I thought you’d be looking for evidence that he was sleeping in the Official US Antifa Combi when he was woken up by guys with tasers and guns.
Tannin

Post by Tannin »

Fox News has been caught red-handed publishing fake new. I mean really, really faked. Murdoch's Fox News photoshopped a masked man holding a huge military weapon into two different images of Seattle.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-06-14/ ... z/12353582

Caught red-handed.
�Let's eat Grandma.� Commas save lives!
stui magpie
Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 74 times

Post by stui magpie »

think positive wrote:And in answer to your edit, maybe they know it’s pointless right now, people want change, I’m not saying change isn’t needed and maybe the cop is in the wrong, but based on the video I won’t condemn him immediately.

I tell you what though, pity the next cop called to a disturbance by a black man. He’s going to be in an absolute no win situation.
I partly agree, any cop being called to a disturbance by a black man may just call in sick or lose their sat nav.

In this case, the guy has broken a number of laws and the cops were clearly called legitimately. Driving while drunk, resisting arrest, quite strenuously too, stealing the Taser, maybe shooting the taser at Police. I don't think anyone could argue didn't deserve to be arrested, but I can't see an argument that he deserved to be shot dead.

I guess we expect shit like that to happen in the USA, doesn't mean it's right. If the same circumstances happened here and Police shot and killed someone who was trying to run away, no chance on gods green earth anyone could defend that.

I don't know what the cops training was, they clearly tried non-lethal options at first, would it be considered normal to shoot someone trying to run away?
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
think positive

Post by think positive »

stui magpie wrote:
think positive wrote:And in answer to your edit, maybe they know it’s pointless right now, people want change, I’m not saying change isn’t needed and maybe the cop is in the wrong, but based on the video I won’t condemn him immediately.

I partly agree, any cop being called to a disturbance by a black man may just call in sick or lose their sat nav.

In this case, the guy has broken a number of laws and the cops were clearly called legitimately. Driving while drunk, resisting arrest, quite strenuously too, stealing the Taser, maybe shooting the taser at Police. I don't think anyone could argue didn't deserve to be arrested, but I can't see an argument that he deserved to be shot dead.

I guess we expect shit like that to happen in the USA, doesn't mean it's right. If the same circumstances happened here and Police shot and killed someone who was trying to run away, no chance on gods green earth anyone could defend that.

I don't know what the cops training was, they clearly tried non-lethal options at first, would it be considered normal to shoot someone trying to run away?
I didnt say it was right.

but we cant see what happens after he takes off. how about we wait to hear the cops side of it? i totally agree they lack training, they also lack decent pay packets, how much do you have to take? where did the bullet hit him? were they out to kill or wing him?

i didnt say he deserved to be shot dead, but **** me, he sure as hell didnt help himself. just let them put the cuffs on already. someone called the cops because he was in the way, the cops didnt go trawling for a black man to kill. its a really sad situation, but i can see both sides. some of the posts here (not yours) suggest they are on a mission to wipe out black people.

on the queer eye show i mentioned the black queer guy says to the white cop 'we just dont all want to be tarred with the same brush" and the cop replies "neither do we".

its a no win situation. And God knows i love the states, and its people, and i dont care what colour they are, i literally talk to anyone!! seeing all this is breaking my heart. sometimes though, you have to step back and look at your part in the equation. if he didnt drive so drunk he fell asleep, and then over reacted when arrested, if he didnt fight arrest, if he didnt steal the taser, if he didt run and try to shoot the cop with a taser (and P$S as for a taser never killed anyone, have you had a decent jolt from an electric fence?? multiply it!!) and yet you expect cops to justgo ok, my bad, i tried to arrest you, bad luck if they step back, dont arrest him and he drives home drunk and takes out a car full of kids on the way home from basketball practice.
Wokko

Post by Wokko »

If I was a cop in a Democrat run city I'd be resigning yesterday. They're on a hiding to nothing and likely to get killed trying to tip toe around.

10 SWAT officers in South Florida just resigned.
think positive

Post by think positive »

have a look at these figures, its terrifying
https://www.gunviolencearchive.org/

and this: 23 people died from gunshot wounds on the 13/6/20 (its currently just past midnight there) and 18 injured, thats 41 people shot in 1 day.

https://www.gunviolencearchive.org/repo ... gun-deaths

im buggered if id be a cop there, and have to go out to those calls, you just never know.
Last edited by think positive on Sun Jun 14, 2020 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
think positive

Post by think positive »

Wokko wrote:If I was a cop in a Democrat run city I'd be resigning yesterday. They're on a hiding to nothing and likely to get killed trying to tip toe around.

10 SWAT officers in South Florida just resigned.
i dont bloody blame them! parts of Miami have a high crime rate, i had a great time there, but there are places you just dont go...but SWAT dont have a choice.
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

There's no chance I'd be a cop in the US, it's hard enough here and we don't have the assumption that everyone has a hand gun.

The only thing this case has in common with George Floyd is that a black man is killed by Police. FFS, we're all used to seeing the US cop shows on TV, how many times have we heard "Stop or I'll shoot" as a perp runs away from a cop?
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
Pies4shaw

Post by Pies4shaw »

Some of the locals don’t find that persuasive, by the looks of it If you can’t stop the police killing sleeping, unarmed individuals, perhaps fast-food chains might get the message that it can be a poor business strategy to call the police to respond to sleeping, unarmed individuals.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-06-14/ ... a/12353338

Burnt to a charred rubble, apparently.
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

Pies4shaw wrote:Some of the locals don’t find that persuasive, by the looks of it If you can’t stop the police killing sleeping, unarmed individuals, perhaps fast-food chains might get the message that it can be a poor business strategy to call the police to respond to sleeping, unarmed individuals.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-06-14/ ... a/12353338

Burnt to a charred rubble, apparently.
Except the Police didn't kill a sleeping individual, and when someone passes out drunk while behind the wheel of their car at a restaurant drive through, I would have thought that calling the Police was the responsible thing to do.

I suggest you read my earlier post on the subject. I'm not defending him being shot,