George Floyd Police killing and protests

Nick's current affairs & general discussion about anything that's not sport.
Voice your opinion on stories of interest to all at Nick's.

Moderator: bbmods

stui magpie
Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 74 times

Post by stui magpie »

^

Lack of guns in the community added to a minimum size for cops.

Back when I was a kid, cops were big units. Now since EEO laws kicked in and minimum height is illegal, not so much.

My daughters partner is nearly finished in the academy, all 5'6" and 55kg of her.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
think positive
Has liked: 216 times
Been liked: 86 times

Post by think positive »

Morrigu wrote:
think positive wrote: you have to be smart about where you go everywhere in the world, and always have a bit of a guard up, especially when your overseas, anywhere.
Yep - we have spent considerable time over several visits self driving around Africa never felt as wary or unsafe as I have in some European or Oz cities - obviously one does not go trotting around alone in say Joburg day or night but one visit to Joburg in a lifetime is enough for anyone - absolute shithole!

I spent a lot of years in the CATT and D & A - southern region St Kilda to Dandenong - called out to accompany VicPol to “situations” I genuinely believe the difference is that it wasn’t assumed that the person was likely to be armed with a gun. The gun culture in the USA has a lot to answer for - must change perspectives, approaches and options.
couldnt agree more
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
David
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 35 times

Post by David »

One of the positive by-products of the US protests is that they're energising and igniting other movements around the world, and bringing to light long-ignored issues like the oppression of West Papuans by the Indonesian government.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-06-12/ ... a/12331580
"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
pietillidie
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 28 times

Post by pietillidie »

^Good link. A forgotten oppression.
In the end the rain comes down, washes clean the streets of a blue sky town.
Help Nick's: http://www.magpies.net/nick/bb/fundraising.htm
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

David wrote:One of the positive by-products of the US protests is that they're energising and igniting other movements around the world, and bringing to light long-ignored issues like the oppression of West Papuans by the Indonesian government.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-06-12/ ... a/12331580
Absolutely deserves a more prominent focus, problem is that it isn't clear black and white racism. Pun intended.

The activists who believe that only white people can be racist start to smoke from the ears when you have situations like this, whichever side they support someone may call them racist so they stick on safe ground attacking white people.

In an ideal world, the UN or someone would force the issue of Independence for West Papua then put in place some interim governmental administration to support them. The joint is resource rich and there would be companies and countries poised like vultures to rush in and rape the land and people.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
Pies4shaw
Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 87 times

Post by Pies4shaw »

Who thinks only white people can be racist? Isn’t that a bit of a straw-person?
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

Didn't the Straw person help Dorothy, along with the Lion and Tin person?
pietillidie

Post by pietillidie »

stui magpie wrote:...they stick on safe ground attacking white people.
I know what you mean, but that doesn't pass the logic test. It's clearly much less safe to challenge a group who can harm you physically and socially, i.e., those in your immediate sphere.
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

pietillidie wrote:
stui magpie wrote:...they stick on safe ground attacking white people.
I know what you mean, but that doesn't pass the logic test. It's clearly much less safe to challenge a group who can harm you physically and socially, i.e., those around you.
Call out white privilege, call out racism against black people by white people, all safe ground these days.

Far murkier when you start looking at 3rd world racism by yellow people against black people.

There are some pretty strict narratives that get followed by the people inclined to be activist, this doesn't fit the narrative so it's ignored. Watch and see, it might gain a little traction on the coat tails of BLM but will quickly slip off the radar again. Which is a shame.
think positive

Post by think positive »

pietillidie

Post by pietillidie »

stui magpie wrote:Call out white privilege, call out racism against black people by white people, all safe ground these days.
I think that's a popular statement, but not one that bears analysis. You're thinking of certain (mostly impoverished) circles, fashionable establishments that maintain a certain cachet by being 'edgy', or peculiar groups such as successful actors who can irritate the wealthy and still make good money at the same time.

However, for the vast bulk of people trying to make good, drawing attention to themselves by going on about race, the environment or injustice of some kind is to effectively offside the affluent and powerful, i.e., those who pay your salary, give you contracts, recommend you commercially, get you into the right clubs, promote you, help you secure capital, agree to rent you a home, or introduce you to the right people.

The 'elite' are not untenured university lecturers, impoverished students, or environmentalists with nose rings in customer service roles vigorously having their say on Facebook and Twitter. Their penalty is the daily stress of immobility and the shame of bread-line survival.

Putting the ultra rich aside, the 'working elite' are the predominantly white managerial class. These are the real chardonnay sippers who parade at the races, work in senior management at large firms, drive luxury cars, have major investment portfolios, frequent corporate boxes, fraternise with private and business school alumni, manage big capital, have large estates, and are fawned over by that great segment of the population who aspires to be in that orbit and knows the importance of toeing the line in order to get their, or to at least bask in the light of its halo.

There is a 'wink-nod' arrangement between this managerial elite and the aspirational around them to maintain the status quo, avoid making too much noise, run a mile from the rowdy and unwashed, avoid uncomfortable topics, and maintain face. Impressing upwards, and certainly not offending upwards, is the name of the game.

As I say, it is much less safe to challenge these people because by doing so you're you're effectively damaging your social and financial aspirations. You're accepting a massive penalty and if you're like most humans with hopes for an easier life, consigning any greater ambitions you had to the dust bin.

Now, I like to think there are ways through this, but most people trying to go places and get things done, i.e., people with ambition, know exactly what I'm referring to. This arrangement is by far the most effective way of keeping people in line. Sure, it's painless to critique power, but only if you stand outside the mainstream and accept impoverishment on the fringe.

There are exceptions, mercifully, and there are clever ways of making a good living while maintaining dignity and self respect, but it is this tacit but pervasive threat of financial and social penalty that is the real Death Star which keeps people in line.
David
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 35 times

Post by David »

"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
Pies4shaw
Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 87 times

Post by Pies4shaw »

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radi ... rett-rolfe

“The Atlanta officer who fatally shot Rayshard Brooks in the back after the fleeing man pointed a stun gun in his direction faces 11 charges, including felony murder, a prosecutor said Wednesday.

Prosecutors said Brooks, who was black, posed no threat when he was gunned down and that the white officer kicked him and offered no medical treatment as he lay dying on the ground.

Brooks was holding a stun gun he had snatched from officers but was 18ft, 3in away when he was shot by Officer Garrett Rolfe and was running away at the time, District Attorney Paul Howard said in announcing the charges five days after the killing outside a Wendy’s restaurant rocked the city.

In announcing the charges Brooks [sic] revealed disturbing details about the incident. Howard revealed that Rolfe knew the taser Brooks took from him was not functional as it had already been fired twice and thus was of no use when he shot Brooks twice in the back as he was running away.

The detail underscores that Rolfe was aware he was in no physical danger when he fatally shot Brooks. Cameras also captured Rolfe kicking Brooks as he was on the ground struggling for his life.”
think positive

Post by think positive »

Another innocent criminal obviously

https://www.9news.com.au/national/fathe ... -of_180620

it works both ways but youd never guess it
Wokko

Post by Wokko »

Atlanta Police walking off the job en masse .

https://twitter.com/sethweathers/status ... 4594572288

I wouldn't want to be in the shithole of a city tonight.