George Floyd Police killing and protests

Nick's current affairs & general discussion about anything that's not sport.
Voice your opinion on stories of interest to all at Nick's.

Moderator: bbmods

What'sinaname
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 9 times

Post by What'sinaname »

David wrote:Murder is not a virus lol. That's a ridiculous analogy.
You'd ignore differences between COVID and Flu because both are small percentages. Yet, there are significant and important differences between the two
David
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 37 times

Post by David »

Because of the threat of exponential growth...
"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
Wokko

Post by Wokko »

https://ucr.fbi.gov/crime-in-the-u.s/20 ... s/table-21

Over represented in every crime except DUI.
David

Post by David »

Before we get too off-track and into the hypothetical realms of whether policing should be treated like flu vaccination or COVID-19, or whatever, I think it's important to get one thing straight: American law and order, as it has been practised for the past 30+ years, has quite evidently failed US society. The US has one of the highest incarceration rates in the world, private prisons abound, cops act and dress like they're entering a war zone, African-Americans have long experienced being targeted and profiled because of their ethnicity, and community trust in policing in general is ... not exactly sky-high right now?

So unless you're proposing meaningful systemic reform of some kind, discussions like this seem kind of like ... arguing why we keep tripping over a banana peel that's been left on the ground ("but bananas are high sources of potassium!" "No, they've been shown to cause a non-negligible rate of injury when slipped on." "Yes, but why aren't you talking about the much lower rate of injuries caused by other fruit?") instead of picking the damn thing up.
"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
Tannin

Post by Tannin »

David, sorry me old mate, but you aren't getting it. Look, it's perfectly simple.

There are more black people in jails.

Why are there more black people in jails?

Because the police arrest more black people.

But why do the police arrest more black people?

Because they think black people are more of a risk to the community.

So what makes the police think that?

There are more black people in jails.

See? Perfectly simple.
�Let's eat Grandma.� Commas save lives!
think positive
Has liked: 216 times
Been liked: 86 times

Post by think positive »

You missed the line where they commit more crimes , except DUI I’m happy for you to lock the drunks up too!
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
Morrigu

Post by Morrigu »

Stats are all very well to quote when you are sitting comfortably in your abode - not actually out there confronting and dealing with criminals, drug affected people, mentally unwell people etc. whose behaviour and responses are unpredictable.

We do a heap of simulation training for critical medical episodes that aim to make clinician choices in such situations second nature - to basically neutralise the adrenaline and associated responses. Does it always work when they are confronted with such a real life situation - no! Why not because they are human that’s why. And I know our police do similar training is it always effective - no not always but more yes than no and the no is for the same reasons. Are there bad eggs in every job yep - that Porsche tool was a Registered Nurse - WTF!!

Do the police in the USA get the same training - seems doubtful and then add to that the ridiculous gun culture there and you have a recipe for disaster! And given the wages who in their right mind would be a police officer there! They need better training that seems obvious but there also needs to be some responsibility attached to the actions of the people who chose to break the laws surely? And a significant number of police in the USA are killed on duty - that must affect the psyche and contribute to an “us versus them” mentality?

It’s easy to look at stats and view from a distance - I had a very different perspective and view of the issues around indigenous arrest and incarceration especially for drunk and disorderly after I spent quite some time nursing in remote communities in NT and WA - more often than not it was to keep women and children safe from rape and physical violence and payback leg spearing if they returned to the community - sad but reasonable and justified for me.
“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
think positive

Post by think positive »

so well said, cheers
Pies4shaw
Has liked: 55 times
Been liked: 87 times

Post by Pies4shaw »

I can’t quite decide whether this latest little excursion is pathetic or tragic. Police officers have been charged by their own governments with murdering black Americans twice in the last few days. The country has been turned upside down by protests that have lasted weeks. State governments are seriously contemplating defunding the police and some have already made that decision. Meanwhile, on the other side of the World, people on Nick’s are stuck on the question whether there is actually a problem.

Gotta love it.
think positive

Post by think positive »

Your a lawyer, I expect better comprehension from you.
Everyone here thinks there is a problem, we just disagree about what exactly that problem is.
David

Post by David »

Pies4shaw wrote:I can’t quite decide whether this latest little excursion is pathetic or tragic. Police officers have been charged by their own governments with murdering black Americans twice in the last few days. The country has been turned upside down by protests that have lasted weeks. State governments are seriously contemplating defunding the police and some have already made that decision. Meanwhile, on the other side of the World, people on Nick’s are stuck on the question whether there is actually a problem.

Gotta love it.
I have a theory, but I don’t know if anyone wants to hear it: nearly everyone here is wh...

Post by 5150 »

David wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote:I can’t quite decide whether this latest little excursion is pathetic or tragic. Police officers have been charged by their own governments with murdering black Americans twice in the last few days. The country has been turned upside down by protests that have lasted weeks. State governments are seriously contemplating defunding the police and some have already made that decision. Meanwhile, on the other side of the World, people on Nick’s are stuck on the question whether there is actually a problem.

Gotta love it.
I have a theory, but I don’t know if anyone wants to hear it: nearly everyone here is wh...
Whistling Dixie? I didn’t think that was “chill”
Wokko

Post by Wokko »

David wrote:I have a theory, but I don’t know if anyone wants to hear it: nearly everyone here is wh...
:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

You're better than that
stui magpie
Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 74 times

Post by stui magpie »

Are Pacific Islander kids considered Black or Brown?
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
Dark Beanie
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 17 times

Post by Dark Beanie »

The latest term is POC, People of Colour so Pacific Islanders would come under this.
If you are foolish enough to be contented, don't show it, but just grumble with the rest. - Jerome K Jerome