Collingwood Father Son and NGA Radar

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

Dave The Man
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Dave The Man »

Talk the NGA could be Closed as to Lessen the Financial Stress Clubs will be Under from the Pandemic
I am Da Man
CakeWalkin

Nick Daicos

Post by CakeWalkin »

Has been suggested he would be pick 1 in the draft or at least top 3.

Has there ever been a higher rated youngster incoming to Collingwood? Have you ever been more excited about a draftee than Nick Daicos?

For those who have seen him play please describe him using a comparison to Collingwood players past or present ( excluding his father )
alexjvillani

Post by alexjvillani »

They reckon he was mixing it with Rowell and other draftees from last year and didn't look out of place. Good signs but at what cost?
Smoking shadows behind the mirrors - Travis Cloke
The Boy Who Cried Wolf

Post by The Boy Who Cried Wolf »

obviously our top pick, but if he's a top 3 then we easily win that.
All Aboard!! Choo Choo!!!
RudeBoy
Been liked: 73 times

Post by RudeBoy »

I was excited when we drafted Scharenberg. :oops:
Presti35
Has liked: 164 times
Been liked: 62 times

Post by Presti35 »

All's I can say about ND is that I saw him kick one from way outside 50 at Kardinia Park. And he is taller than his brother.
A Goal Saved Is 2 Goals Earned!
Uncle Jack

Post by Uncle Jack »

Imagine if on the night Carlton call out Nick Daicos and we can't organize enough points!
thebaldfacts

Post by thebaldfacts »

Uncle Jack wrote:Imagine if on the night Carlton call out Nick Daicos and we can't organize enough points!
Can’t happen. We match the bid 1,2 or whatever and our later picks are shuffled down the order.

He is ours if we want him.

Won’t be a mid 50’s pick like Josh.
5 from the wing on debut

Re: Nick Daicos

Post by 5 from the wing on debut »

CakeWalkin wrote:Has been suggested he would be pick 1 in the draft or at least top 3.

Has there ever been a higher rated youngster incoming to Collingwood? Have you ever been more excited about a draftee than Nick Daicos?

For those who have seen him play please describe him using a comparison to Collingwood players past or present ( excluding his father )
Josh Fraser was rated very highly. He was a real no.1 draft pick, not just someone being hyped up on a supporter's bulletin board. I don't mean to sound negative, but those with the experience know how Adrian Kink and Victor Daicos were hyped. How did their careers go? I tend to treat rumours of brilliance by father/sons as I would if I heard that the elusive panther was living in your back yard.
mattdally
Has liked: 1 time

Post by mattdally »

Jett Buckley or Jax Pendlebury :lol: :lol:
Pies2016
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 88 times

Post by Pies2016 »

5 from the wing on debut wrote:^
In fairness, the recruiting resources are so much improved from the days of “ educated whispers “ and hear say.
It’s also easier to determine the development trajectory of a midfielder than a tall. A talls development historically has more hurdles to overcome than the development of plug and play 19 year old mids.
We need to remember that we won’t be calling out Nick Daicos name first.
Another club will call out his name because they deem him to be the next best player available. If another club calls him out at pick 2, then that is at least one other club who rated him the second best talent in the land.
We then get a 20 % points discount on that picks value and it’s our “ challenge “ to have enough of those points accumulated in later picks.
Pick 2 ( and that’s a possible outcome ) is a lot of points to find regardless of a 20% discount or not. It will impact our draft hand but the decision remains a no brainer. This could mean that we may be more active with player trading at the end of 2021 simply because or next pick after Daicos would be very late in the draft if we don’t buy back in any earlier. There’s a lot to play out yet.
Finally, I would take any comment that includes “ as good as Rendall has seen “ with a grain of salt. He either never saw Judd or Rowell play as 16 year olds or Rendalls comments have been misconstrued.
Lazza

Post by Lazza »

I remember Rod Orborne’s (Swoop) and Craig Davis’ sons being super hyped. I think Nick Davis played a few good games but Rod Orborne’s son didn’t quite make it. Also Tony Shaw’s son Braiden and Ernie Hugg’s son were not up to AFL standard. We got some like Paul Tuddenham, Wes Fellowes and Jamie Turner but missed out on the sons of Craig Starcevitch and James Stewart.
Last edited by Lazza on Wed Sep 09, 2020 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Don't confuse your current path with your final destination. Just because it's dark and stormy now doesn't meant that you aren't headed for glorious sunshine!
inxs88
Been liked: 4 times

Post by inxs88 »

Craig Jacotine, Luke Godden and Michael Horsburgh came with big wraps too.
I love the Pies, hate Carlscum
5 from the wing on debut

Post by 5 from the wing on debut »

inxs88 wrote:^
Wow, Mick Horsburgh, haven't heard that name for a long, long time. Did he even do a pre-season or just arrive during the season?
Very skinny, but he could actually play. He showed some real glimpses of that,when was it, in about 1980, but was homesick, hated the city and went back to the bush from memory.
Lazza

Post by Lazza »

There were pretty big wraps on Heath Scotland, “Shorty” Anderson and someone Roach. (Not the Richmond one).
Don't confuse your current path with your final destination. Just because it's dark and stormy now doesn't meant that you aren't headed for glorious sunshine!