Vale #16,#9 Colin Tully (1945-2020)

Player President threads here thanks.

Moderator: bbmods

BazBoy
Been liked: 29 times

Vale #16,#9 Colin Tully (1945-2020)

Post by BazBoy »

On Face Book his passing was posted but I searched Wickepedia and Death notice for no affirmation

But Bendigo Advitisor has a piece commemorating his sport achievement and passing

Please anyone can shed light on this as it’s been not brought to light on any TV sports and if untrue that’s disturbing
I'm not arguing--just explaining why i am right
BazBoy

Post by BazBoy »

I looked at Bendigo Advertisor and it’s definitely in Bendigo Advertisor local news
With a photo of Colin taken early this year at Queen Elizabeth Oval
BazBoy

Post by BazBoy »

Notes his death September 25
derkd
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 20 times

Post by derkd »

Yeah i would say the article is correct he has passed. They have not updated Wikipedia yet..je only died yesterday it seems
"To know nothing of events before your birth, is to forever remain a child" - Cicero (Roman Lawyer/Senator) 46 BCE.
Pies4shaw
Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 85 times

Post by Pies4shaw »

Presumably, it is true or the Bendigo Adevrtiser wouldn't have published this: https://www.bendigoadvertiser.com.au/st ... sses-away/

It's behind a paywall but it's obvious what the story is.

Sad news. Like many players in those days, he didn't stay in the VFL for his entire career. He left Collingwood after 92 games at the age of 25. His last game for us was against the Old Enemy, exactly 50 years ago today.
BazBoy

Post by BazBoy »

Lazza

Post by Lazza »

Yes, as a Bendigo resident I can sadly confirm that Colin passed away. He was a popular taxi driver here for years and would occasionally attend the Bendigo Collingwood supporters club meetings. A truly decent man. RIP Colin.
Don't confuse your current path with your final destination. Just because it's dark and stormy now doesn't meant that you aren't headed for glorious sunshine!
BazBoy

Post by BazBoy »

Colin was a great exponent of the Drop kick and together with Barry Price two of the best kicks of a football we have had

R.I.P Colin
BazBoy

Post by BazBoy »

RudeBoy
Been liked: 73 times

Post by RudeBoy »

Bazboy is correct. Tully was probably the best exponent of the drop kick in the VFL. He would regularly kick the ball 60 metres out from full back.

Unfortunately, he was also a tad slow and this was exposed in the 1970 GF when he found himself manning the fast and nimble Ted Hopkins, who came on in the 2nd half and almost single handedly won the Flag for the blues. I can remember seeing Colin Tully looking to our coaching bench (on the boundary) almost pleading to be moved off Hopkins. Unfortunately Bobby Rose refused to make the change.
BazBoy

Post by BazBoy »

watt price tully

Post by watt price tully »

How sad. I feel part of me is no longer
“I even went as far as becoming a Southern Baptist until I realised they didn’t keep ‘em under long enough” Kinky Friedman
Pies4shaw
Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 85 times

Post by Pies4shaw »

Yes, I thought you’d take it hard, wpt. It’s really difficult when our sporting heroes go, not least because we can still them running, kicking, marking etc like they’re still 22.

His kicking was a joy. Apart from the wonderful drop kicks, I remember quite a few spirals towards the Yarra Falls End from the wing with the wind that we all thought went 90 yards (but probably really went about 125 yards or more...).

Very sad, indeed.
BazBoy

Post by BazBoy »

Of your treble user name I know Bubba Price still with us

Also Ricky Watt
watt price tully

Post by watt price tully »

BazBoy wrote:Of your treble user name I know Bubba Price still with us

Also Ricky Watt
watt price just doesn't have the same ring about it :wink:

That was a mighy centreline.

Thomspon taps the ball to Tully who drop kicks a goal from more than 60 yards out. I was there; I heard it on 3KZ with Harry Beitzel and special comments from "Chicken Smallhorn" (unfortunate surname) the best way to watch the footy when you were young. Your imagination ran wild.
“I even went as far as becoming a Southern Baptist until I realised they didn’t keep ‘em under long enough” Kinky Friedman