Post Match. Pies thumped by Cats. All comments, please.

Match previews, reviews, reports and discussion.

Moderator: bbmods

The Boy Who Cried Wolf

Post by The Boy Who Cried Wolf »

Mr Miyagi wrote:Bucks saying speaking to some players in the second qtr he got the impression they’d given up. He obviously spoke to them so it’s up to the players to respond, but once they had their sights on losing and thinking about holidays it’s hard for a coach to do much else.
But that's part of his job??? I don't get it?
All Aboard!! Choo Choo!!!
Mr Miyagi
Has liked: 48 times
Been liked: 113 times

Post by Mr Miyagi »

^^ He said some gave up hope, and he didn’t say it in a critical way, he looked genuinely empathetic and responsible for that. And it’s true, some players clearly threw the towel in in the second qtr. those players do deserve a kick up the ass. It’s a do or die final, you don’t give up. Clearly we lacked on field leadership with that issue.
Last edited by Mr Miyagi on Sat Oct 10, 2020 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Magpietothemax
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 15 times

Post by Magpietothemax »

K wrote:
K wrote:Buckley:

"We've played 3 poor games for the season. ... 3 poor games in 19."
I reckon he's using a very generous definition of "poor".
Agree
Free Julian Assange!!
Ice in the veins
5 from the wing on debut

Post by 5 from the wing on debut »

masoncox wrote:
5 from the wing on debut wrote:
Magpietothemax wrote:I am startled by all the rancour against Grundy.you cannot fluke the form he has had over the last 2 years.
He was clearly mismanaged this year.
Again, i think it reflects a lack of confidence and stultifying lack of imagination -and care- from our coaches and selectors. They were clearly too scared and unimaginative to find a way to rest Grundy at some stage.
It wasn’t just non ruckman Hawkins that was able to rag doll and embarrass him deep in Geelong’s forward line. In last year’s prelim against GWS, the skinny Jeremy Finlayson did it to him twice.
Do you think anybody would trade for him?
I assume that he is carrying an injury (as most players are by this time of year) but regardless of that my answer would be no, unless we paid part of his salary as well. You just don’t pay that much for a ruckman, especially one whose game, even when fully fit, has so many weaknesses & limitations. I said it early this season, that in my opinion he is the most over rated player I can recall at our club and my memory of us goes back to 1970. I would swap him in an instant for Len Thompson, Peter Moore or Darren Jolly. On tonight’s form I would even swap two of him for one Wes Fellowes!
Magpietothemax

Post by Magpietothemax »

Mr Miyagi wrote:^^ He said some gave up hope, and he didn’t say it in a critical way, he looked genuinely empathetic and responsible for that. And it’s true, some players clearly threw the towel in in the second qtr. those players do deserve a kick up the ass. It’s a do or die final, you don’t give up. Clearly we lacked on field leadership with that issue.
Doesn't matter how he says it. Whatever his intent, objectively it deflects the heat from him onto the players, in public. Not acceptable from a leader.
Free Julian Assange!!
Ice in the veins
Johnno75
Been liked: 16 times

Post by Johnno75 »

I believe he said that it appears the playing group had lost hope early in the 3rd he said with a fair bit of the match to be played out. Looked like we was coaching from the bench after half time maybe trying to keep spirits up.
Human behavioural studies suggest people who use a lot of swear words tend to be more honest & trustworthy.
Piesnchess
Has liked: 178 times
Been liked: 72 times

Post by Piesnchess »

Magpietothemax wrote:I am startled by all the rancour against Grundy.you cannot fluke the form he has had over the last 2 years.
He was clearly mismanaged this year.
Again, i think it reflects a lack of confidence and stultifying lack of imagination -and care- from our coaches and selectors. They were clearly too scared and unimaginative to find a way to rest Grundy at some stage.

Iagree before this season, he was best ruck in the comp, the best, id say its mismanaged. Not once was he rested in this chaotic crazy season, not once, he soldiered on week in week out, 3 games in 12 days, in three states, twice, even a Tigers fan told me we got shafted in the fixture, and Gundy played em all, he was stuffed, tired, i reckon worn out. Give him a break, hes had a poor season, as most players do, let hiim rest up over preseason, freshen him up, how quickly people forget the stellar player he was and can be again. :?
Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor, but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
Medieval

Post by Medieval »

Hopefully the AFL gives us a gift with next year’s fixture after shafting us (we officially had the 2nd hardest draw after Hawthorn) this year. And get Robbie Tarrant to bolster the backline. He’ll cost us nothing. Sign him for 2 years.
The only stat that matters is whether you win or lose.
masoncox
Been liked: 3 times

Post by masoncox »

5 from the wing on debut wrote:
masoncox wrote:
5 from the wing on debut wrote: It wasn’t just non ruckman Hawkins that was able to rag doll and embarrass him deep in Geelong’s forward line. In last year’s prelim against GWS, the skinny Jeremy Finlayson did it to him twice.
Do you think anybody would trade for him?
I assume that he is carrying an injury (as most players are by this time of year) but regardless of that my answer would be no, unless we paid part of his salary as well. You just don’t pay that much for a ruckman, especially one whose game, even when fully fit, has so many weaknesses & limitations. I said it early this season, that in my opinion he is the most over rated player I can recall at our club and my memory of us goes back to 1970. I would swap him in an instant for Len Thompson, Peter Moore or Darren Jolly. On tonight’s form I would even swap two of him for one Wes Fellowes![/quoteCollingwood under the rich mans culture that has delivered poverty for us fans]
Maybe Charlie Manson would be good swap.
You cannot play that way week after week and expect a million dollar payout year after year.
His performance tonite was nothing short of pathetic..
Go back to last week and in the last 2 minutes of the game.
McGovern marked over the top of him.
Yes everybody he maybe injured.....but he was smashed and smashed tonight.
Jarrod Witts would have done a much better job.
We got rid of Witts for a pick in the 40's
Last edited by masoncox on Sat Oct 10, 2020 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
woodys_world69
Been liked: 20 times

Post by woodys_world69 »

it was the perfect way for CFC to show how much they appreciated there QLD collingwood fans tonight.

GEELONG are not a 60point better team then us.

it all started in the first Quarter. Darcy moore fumbling handball and then a dropped sitter in the forward pocket by Cameron which bounced back down the other end of the field in a goall..
Cam
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 22 times

Post by Cam »

Given how much uncertainty still exists about 2021... it's hard to get excited about trades, drafts... I mean we don't even know when training will start. Bubbles etc. Alll up in the air.
Get back on top.
Magpietothemax

Post by Magpietothemax »

Yeah, Cam, too true. And what this year has shown, in headlights, is that we are very poor in coping with, and managing, chaotic and unpredictable scenarios. Other clubs are far better.
Free Julian Assange!!
Ice in the veins
Mr Miyagi
Has liked: 48 times
Been liked: 113 times

Post by Mr Miyagi »

Medieval wrote:Hopefully the AFL gives us a gift with next year’s fixture after shafting us (we officially had the 2nd hardest draw after Hawthorn) this year. And get Robbie Tarrant to bolster the backline. He’ll cost us nothing. Sign him for 2 years.
Absolutely. We got shafted with the draw this year. Remember that nightmare month of 4 day breaks playing opposition who had a week.

As Cam said though, what will 2021 be like? How do we prepare for trades etc when we don’t know what the competition will be like next year?
Magpiefan3

Post by Magpiefan3 »

woodys_world69 wrote:it was the perfect way for CFC to show how much they appreciated there QLD collingwood fans tonight.

GEELONG are not a 60point better team then us.

it all started in the first Quarter. Darcy moore fumbling handball and then a dropped sitter in the forward pocket by Cameron which bounced back down the other end of the field in a goall..
Agree with your post!

We just made Geelong look good tonight and got them into some form, but seriously don't rate them. Hawkins kicked 0.5 last week and tonight he kicked 4! I hope Geelong played their Grand Final tonight against us!

I am hoping for a Port Adelaide/Brisbane Lions Grand Final.
2016 Player Sponsor for Travis Varcoe

2017-2019 Player Sponsor for Lynden Dunn
thebaldfacts

Post by thebaldfacts »

Bucks intimated that hub life probably impacted Grundy more than others as he likes to get away from footy but it was not possible with the hub life.

This may have impacted his form.

Also said they wanted to give Will Kelly more games as they see him as a likely type.