Post Match. Pies thumped by Cats. All comments, please.

Match previews, reviews, reports and discussion.

Moderator: bbmods

Mr Miyagi
Has liked: 48 times
Been liked: 113 times

Post by Mr Miyagi »

Uh, we did bench Grundy and play Cameron in the ruck last week. Remember?
Magpietothemax
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 15 times

Post by Magpietothemax »

Mr Miyagi wrote:Uh, we did bench Grundy and play Cameron in the ruck last week. Remember?
And...?
Free Julian Assange!!
Ice in the veins
Monco Matt

Post by Monco Matt »

thebaldfacts wrote:Bucks intimated that hub life probably impacted Grundy more than others as he likes to get away from footy but it was not possible with the hub life.

This may have impacted his form.
Yes, I do remember hearing something similar about Grundy years ago. That footy is not so much of a passion for him but more of a job. If we have too many players on our list who feel the same way it could go a fair way to explain why we have not been able to apply the mental toughness required go all the way over the past few years. I believe you need just about everyone to have a burning passion to achieve the ultimate, if not, then when the going gets tough the bank balance unfortunatley doesn't push you through. Without sounding too over the top, but if you want a flag you have to be prepared to break the pain barrier.
RED "BABY" CAVANAUGH: Didn't hear what the bet was.

MONCO: Your life.
Adz

Post by Adz »

Mr Miyagi wrote:I’d rather follow another team than have Ross Lyon coach us
Ross Lyon teams average 10 goals, considerably higher than our 8.
Pies2016
Been liked: 88 times

Post by Pies2016 »

Redlight wrote:Pretty painful loss.

If there's a bright side, it's that a team can't lose a final like that and just roll into the off season looking forward to next year. It forces everyone to have a hard look at where we're at and that's something we really need to do.

If we'd lost by five points it'd be too easy to think that we were unlucky and on the right path. Being smashed like this is going to light a fire underneath everyone.

Hopefully.
That’s a fair comment. It’s a sobering reminder of how much we need to improve as opposed to how close we are ( had we have been narrowly beaten )
Adz

Post by Adz »

Poor Grundy. It must be difficult on 600k a year, spending your days in a resort in tropical qld. My poor child.
jatsad
Been liked: 14 times

Post by jatsad »

It's time to reset the whole top level at this club. This is not just a reaction from what happened tonight.

Eddie 20 years - long enough - time for someone else
Bucks 9 years - enough
All his yes men coaches, Harvey, Sanderson, Lockyer, see ya later.

And before you all say Bucks almost won a flag and Bucks got us into a prelim last year, do you really think it's a coincidence that the 2 best years in the Buckley era were when Longmuir was at the club.

Jobs for the boys has to stop at this club or this continues next year and beyond.
Jatsad - That is all
Cam
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 22 times

Post by Cam »

Let's just reserve the Grundy vitriol until after we find out who is having operations etc
Get back on top.
JC Hartley

Post by JC Hartley »

It is with great sadness and a heavy heart that I'll be submitting my final match report in 2020, after Collingwood produced a listless first half against Geelong to lose their final game of the season to the tune of 68 points. The Magpies were only able to boot one goal in three quarters of footy, before fighting the last quarter out with a flurry of consolation goals to minimise the damage. The Cats were able to convert the bulk of their set shots early, while denying the Woods any meaningful threat they had on the scoreboard. Geelong maintained possession at will with their uncontested marking game making it impossible for Collingwood to intercept their kicks. Once the Cats decided to play on by dishing the footy off with handballs, they were able to draw Collingwood's defence towards them, which allowed Geelong's forwards time and space to find targets much more easily, whereas the Magpies had stagnant ball movement and forward entries that were chopped off before the Cats were able to rebound fluently without any pressure. Collingwood could not generate any transition from defence which got closed down, the midfielders were beaten to the ball, and the forwards were reduced to spectators at times throughout the night.

The only statistical categories Collingwood won were hit-outs by +18 (37 - 19) and tackles had a margin of +4 (50 - 46). That's it! Every other category was won by Geelong. The Cats won disposals by +158 (358 - 200), kicks were won by +108 (228 - 120), while handballs had a differential of +50 (130 - 80). Contested possessions were +22 (107 - 85), +142 for uncontested possessions (251 - 109) and won intercept possessions by +10 (54 - 44), while clearances had a differential of +13 (34 - 21), with centre clearances won by +3 (12 - 9), and stoppage clearances were won by +10 (22 - 12). Marks were comprehensively won by +88 (134 - 46), with a margin of +82 for uncontested marks ( 120 - 38 ), +6 for Contested Marks ( 14 - 8 ), and Marks Inside 50 were won by +12 (17 - 5), with Inside 50s won by +16 (46 - 30), while Tackles Inside 50 was +2 in Geelong's favour ( 10 - 8 ).

Adam Treloar (18 disposals @ 67%, 206 metres gained, 8 contested possessions, 10 uncontested possessions, 8 kicks, 10 handballs, 3 marks, 4 tackles, 3 score involvements, 4 clearances, 2 centre clearances, 2 stoppage clearances, 2 Inside 50s & 2 Rebound 50s) was the leading ball winner for the Woods, yet he did not do much damage with the ball when he won possession.

Taylor Adams (17 disposals @ 47%, 308 metres gained, 11 contested possessions, 6 uncontested possessions, 3 intercept possessions, 12 kicks, 5 handballs, 5 tackles, 4 clearances, 2 centre clearances, 2 stoppage clearances & 4 Inside 50s) recovered from an elbow injury to play out the remainder of the game. Adams was unable to use the ball effectively under pressure.

Jordan De Goey (14 disposals @ 64%, 190 metres gained, 4 contested possessions, 10 uncontested possessions, 7 kicks, 7 handballs, 4 marks, 2 score involvements, 2 Inside 50s & 2 Rebound 50s) found himself in starvation corner for much of the opening term, so De Goey was put into the midfield to win the ball and still could not have any impact on the game.

Scott Pendlebury (14 disposals @ 57%, 285 metres gained, 5 contested possessions, 9 uncontested possessions, 8 kicks, 6 handballs, 2 tackles, 3 score involvements & 3 Inside 50s) was unable to find time and space to display his attributes, which made the team look lifeless and pedestrian. Spent lengthy periods on the bench which was mind-boggling as he didn't appear to be injured at all which was very strange.

Brodie Grundy (10 disposals @ 70%, 102 metres gained, 7 contested possessions, 3 uncontested possessions, 2 intercept possessions, 20 hit-outs, 3 kicks, 7 handballs, 2 tackles, 3 score involvements, 2 clearances, 2 centre clearances & 1 goal) had a relatively poor game, yet he was still able to win hit-outs that weren't accurate before chiming in with a goal. Bucks did say that Grundy has not been carrying an injury and has been fully fit for the entire season. Enjoy the break until January 6, 2021, Brodie. I want you firing on all cylinders from the opening game in March.

Jamie Elliott (10 disposals @ 50%, 239 metres gained, 5 contested possessions, 5 uncontested possessions, 9 kicks, 4 marks, 3 tackles, 2 Tackles Inside 50, 3 score involvements, 6 clearances, 2 centre clearances, 4 stoppage clearances, 2 Inside 50s & 1 goal) kicked Collingwood's only goal in the first quarter, after having begun the game in the middle before having stints up forward. Elliott was Collingwood's best clearance player for the evening.

Jack Crisp (13 disposals @ 54%, 273 metres gained, 6 contested possessions, 7 uncontested possessions, 7 intercept possessions, 11 kicks, 2 handballs, 6 marks, 2 Contested Marks, 5 tackles, 2 score involvements, 3 Inside 50s & 2 Rebound 50s) could not generate significant transition and ball movement from defence, as he was considerably scrappy and sloppy at stages.

Darcy Moore (10 disposals @ 60%, 148 metres gained, 4 contested possessions, 6 uncontested possessions, 3 intercept possessions, 5 kicks, 5 handballs, 4 marks, 2 Contested Marks & 3 Rebound 50s) had a game he would like to forget in a hurry. Made uncharacteristic blunders after taking marks that I would not have imagined from him.

Josh Thomas (14 disposals @ 64%, 223 metres gained, 6 contested possessions, 8 uncontested possessions, 6 kicks, 8 handballs, 2 tackles, 3 score involvements, 3 clearances, 3 stoppage clearances & 4 Inside 50s) was the only forward that worked hard to win the ball. Minimal damage followed whenever he won the ball.

Brody Mihocek (6 disposals @ 83%, 164 metres gained, 3 contested possessions, 3 uncontested possessions, 5 kicks, 2 marks, 2 tackles, 2 score involvements & 2 goals) bobbed up late in the game with two majors to offer any remote respectability that there was to the scoreboard. Mihocek, like all of his teammates, was not able to perform when the game was there to be won in the first half.

With Collingwood signing off in 2020, I will look forward to their return home to Melbourne. I will look forward to list management decisions that the club will make ahead of the 2021 season, while waiting for the 2021 Premiership Season fixture to be released next month, which is my favourite aspect of footy in the pre-season. I will continue with the Woods as a club member in 2021, with an eye to being able to attend games at the MCG and Marvel Stadium for the duration of the season, which every Victorian-based member wants to happen in the coming months. Collingwood's headquarters will have a new name as the club's partnership with Holden expires at the end of this year. Until 2021, may the Force be with Collingwood, me and us.
JC Hartley
Mr Miyagi
Has liked: 48 times
Been liked: 113 times

Post by Mr Miyagi »

Adz wrote:Poor Grundy. It must be difficult on 600k a year, spending your days in a resort in tropical qld. My poor child.
Something I agree with you on!
Gotta be hard for Grundy though, consistently winning the taps and watching the opposition beat our mids and carry the ball away
Magpietothemax

Post by Magpietothemax »

Thanks JC. Truly objective, rational and compassionate as always. Look forward to 2021, as I have confidence that we will exercise the necessary introspective reflection. Go Pies!!
Free Julian Assange!!
Ice in the veins
PyreneesPie
Has liked: 66 times

Post by PyreneesPie »

A dignified response from Eddie with his interview after the match - see club website.
Also, a class act from Brayden Maynard can be seen on the club's twitter account.
Pies2016
Been liked: 88 times

Post by Pies2016 »

Adz wrote:Poor Grundy. It must be difficult on 600k a year, spending your days in a resort in tropical qld. My poor child.
Shh ! He’s standing right behind your keyboard.
Magpietothemax

Post by Magpietothemax »

Pies2016 wrote:
Shh ! He’s standing right behind your keyboard.
Yep. Keyboard warrior. As opposed to a real Warrior.
Free Julian Assange!!
Ice in the veins
Piesnchess
Has liked: 178 times
Been liked: 72 times

Post by Piesnchess »

Magpietothemax wrote:
Piesnchess wrote:
The Boy Who Cried Wolf wrote:I see Ross Lyon as a likely type too

NO, his game plan is like watching paint dry. Id like Luke Hodge, a total winner, when Bucks time is up. Hes a pupil of Clarkson, too.
Ross Lyon??? You must be joking.
''

Lyon never got a Premiership, at two clubs, isnt that the reason the Bucks loathers have it in for him ? :?
Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor, but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.