Post Match. Pies thumped by Cats. All comments, please.

Match previews, reviews, reports and discussion.

Moderator: bbmods

Ronnie McKeowns boots

Post by Ronnie McKeowns boots »

masoncox wrote:
neil wrote: What has Sier ever done to make him the messiah?
We need a second inside mid Wills Sier not good enough
Sier is 22 years old.
He was picked as a project player.
Most of this year our mids (inside mids in particular) were getting thrashed.

Most of this year Sier was injured or not picked.
He is worth keeping.
Wills is 25 and is not good enough.
Mate, he doesn't want to be there, he is taking the piss!

We all saw what we needed after the 2018 GF was for Sier to improve his fitness and conditioning to play the role of inside bull, but he is not interested, would have practice guitar and eff about on insta.

He has gotta go, cant have that at a professional club
Ronnie McKeowns boots

Anyways, certainly the worse finals loss I can remember, surely needs to be up there with the '84 Preliminary.

I think Bucks should go, its been ten years now and we are going backwards again, many players have regressed from their 2018 form and we cant blame father time for all of them.

Shades of 2008, when we won an against the odds elimination against the crows and got belted by the Saints....but if memory serves we had more than one goal at 3QT in that game...and lets face it, the goal Jamie did kick was pretty lucky
"You hate a mean man, a grasping man, a man who wants everything and gives nothing. That’s Collingwood. They are a law unto themselves"

Jack 'Captain Blood' Dyer
masoncox
Been liked: 3 times

Post by masoncox »

Ronnie McKeowns boots wrote:
masoncox wrote:
neil wrote: What has Sier ever done to make him the messiah?
We need a second inside mid Wills Sier not good enough
Sier is 22 years old.
He was picked as a project player.
Most of this year our mids (inside mids in particular) were getting thrashed.

Most of this year Sier was injured or not picked.
He is worth keeping.
Wills is 25 and is not good enough.
Mate, he doesn't want to be there, he is taking the piss!

We all saw what we needed after the 2018 GF was for Sier to improve his fitness and conditioning to play the role of inside bull, but he is not interested, would have practice guitar and eff about on insta.

He has gotta go, cant have that at a professional club
For weeks now we have been smashed in the centre.. week after week.
The only chance of cleaning that up was bringing in Sier or maybe put in Crisp.
We had nothing to lose absolutely nothing.
His last game he played with a damaged quad.
He did ok.
The guy has potential.
He is 22.
Is our mid field going to get any better by playing the same old dudes?
Have to do something different.
The most damning thing about our midfield was the decision of the Cats to play Paddy forward all night.
They concluded rightly that their 2nd choice midfielders could still beat ours.
That meant Danger would cause havoc up forward.
In other words Geelong don't rate our mids full stop.
Last edited by masoncox on Sun Oct 11, 2020 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
BazBoy
Been liked: 29 times

Post by BazBoy »

I'm not arguing--just explaining why i am right
slangman
Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 9 times

Post by slangman »

Amongst all of the soul searching after the season that was, the question that is the crux of our mediocrity IMHO needs to be seriously answered….why do throw in the towel so quickly and easily?

This has been evident in the last 2-3 years and apart from the Carlton win in 2019 I cannot remember a game where we came back to win from anything more than 2-3 goals. If anything it has been quite the opposite where we just crumble and allow the opposition to steam roll us.

Our fight, desperation and hunger for the contest dissipate dramatically to the point of giving up whenever an opposition get more than 3 goals ahead as Buckley alluded to after the game yesterday (throwing in the towel).
This is not a once off and I don’t know the exact answer to this problem is, but i sure have a few theories as to why it happens.
There are a few of our superstars and leaders who are bruise free players who are more flashy than hard at the ball. This i think permeates through the team and rally apart from Adams, Maynard & Greenwood there are no other “mongrels” within the team. Trent Cotchin and Lynch are perfect examples of players who have become deliberately aggressive which initially wasn’t a feature of their play. Thats leadership 101!!!

How else could a team lose a GF after leading by 5 goals??
It’s mental and physical toughness and we don’t have enough of it.
- Side By Side -
23 YIPPEE!!!

Post by 23 YIPPEE!!! »

In a way I’m happy the season has finished was a crap of a year
lihei
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 5 times

Post by lihei »

Ronnie McKeowns boots wrote:Anyways, certainly the worse finals loss I can remember, surely needs to be up there with the '84 Preliminary
At least in 84 we had excuses: Cloke and Taylor both injured and then Twomey was a late withdrawal. Further, Geelong can’t be compared to the might of Essendon in 1984.
Cancel the Cancel Culture.
Ronnie McKeowns boots

They hadn't done anything at that stage but lose a GF and second semi to a dominant hawks team
"You hate a mean man, a grasping man, a man who wants everything and gives nothing. That’s Collingwood. They are a law unto themselves"

Jack 'Captain Blood' Dyer
Cam
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 22 times

Post by Cam »

We did to Geelong in 2010 what they did to us last night. In 2011 they came back, beat us 3 times and won the flag.
Get back on top.
Ronnie McKeowns boots

Cam wrote:We did to Geelong in 2010 what they did to us last night. In 2011 they came back, beat us 3 times and won the flag.
With a new coach....
Pies4shaw
Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 87 times

Post by Pies4shaw »

^ And they, of course, did the same to us in 2009. I actually thought that loss might set the team back several years. Happily (and largely because of the arrival of Jolly and Ball and the emergence of Sidebottom), it didn't.
magpieazza

Post by magpieazza »

tbaker wrote:All the player bashing on here...not good...
Just about all players displayed a lack of effort at some stage in the game last night: e.g. Quaynor ran hard to chase a cat and then halted at the last second allowing the cat to release the kick; no desperate lunging tackle or attempted smother...so are we going to call for Quaynor to be cut on the back of that? No, and neither should we for other players who always seem to be in the gun...
Grundy: cut him some slack; he is a true warrior who has a proven record of delivery in big games (albeit not this year, except rd 1); he will rebound
WHE: disappointing but has huge upside. Wouldn't be contemplating cutting him this year
Mayne: just what did he do wrong this year? Not much by my reckoning..sure he's not the fastest mover of the ball, but he does contest (time and time again)
JT: played much better later in the year, and he may now be a fringe player (but a pretty good fringe player to have imho)
Cox: park him forward and keep him there; it's not his fault if the ball doesn't reach him
Roughead: disappointing year and he too had hub problems (it was indicated early on in the season that he may cut short his time in the hub for personal reasons, but he was obviously committed enough to the team to stay, but which no doubt caused him personal anguish); he works well with Howe in the team, so will expect a lift when Howe returns

In reality, there's going to be enough retirements and delistings without having to "throw the baby out with the bathwater". There will be enough freed up list spots to obtain new players (trade or draft) without tossing out players who are still of value for the team, even if only to have as ready made reserves - remember 2010 we had so many of these (Medhurst, Lockyer, OBree, Fraser etc.) which created competition for spots - so we do still need those players who may seem replaceable but in reality are needed for depth.
Great post and very similar to what I wanted to write, so you've saved me time.
I reckon we need a gun midfielder to come in and also an upcomer like Caldwell, O Halloran etc to add competition.
If we need to trade a big name to obtain a midfield gun I wouldnt be opposed to it but I dont know the inner workings of the club.... there could be players deciding right now as we speak to ask for a trade.
Carpe diem quam minimum credula postero.
lihei
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 5 times

Post by lihei »

Ronnie McKeowns boots wrote:They hadn't done anything at that stage but lose a GF and second semi to a dominant hawks team
They won 18/22 games in 1984. Not a bad effort.
Cancel the Cancel Culture.
BazBoy
Been liked: 29 times

Post by BazBoy »

There were a couple glaring example,s of either inexperience or panic when hunted
One the Darcy Cameron mark he fluffed as he was closely contested

Another the horror of handball back and forth between Magden and Mayne when Darcy Moore was on his own some twenty meters inboard
I'm not arguing--just explaining why i am right
Mr Miyagi
Has liked: 48 times
Been liked: 113 times

Post by Mr Miyagi »

If JDG hasn’t shanked his shot on goal, and Cameron had marked, would’ve been an even score at qtr time. Still think cats would have won, but maybe it wouldn’t have been a flogging from the 2nd qtr on. Those mistakes at the start of a game can set the mental tone. In a nutshell, we were off mentally and cats were sharper. Shit happens

Worst thing is we have no idea what 2021 will be. When do we find out, after the GF? End of the year? How the hell are we meant to trade and draft not knowing what next season will be like.