Post Match. Pies thumped by Cats. All comments, please.

Match previews, reviews, reports and discussion.

Moderator: bbmods

BazBoy
Been liked: 29 times

Post by BazBoy »

Bucks said as much when asked about what team needed

Said we have no idea of list size to plan the 2021 list with any accuracy
I'm not arguing--just explaining why i am right
woodys_world69
Been liked: 20 times

Post by woodys_world69 »

one of the worst kicks of the night was madgen on half back kicking to the wing with a 3 on 1 to geelong and just needing to kick a 25 meter pass to Steve who was in the clear.

somehow i think the rigid game plan was TOO rigid in some of the players minds, wanting to hit up a larger key forward rather then an open man
BazBoy

Post by BazBoy »

Don’t think I’ve ever seen a game where when kicking forward we picked out a player in the clear. With navy blue hooped jumpers tho
Mr Miyagi
Has liked: 48 times
Been liked: 113 times

Post by Mr Miyagi »

We played like scaredy cats (Mick put a curse on us), and Geelong played like tigers. End of story.
Pies2016
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 87 times

Post by Pies2016 »

Ronnie McKeowns boots wrote:
slangman wrote:That was embarrassing.
Unfortunately last week was the exception to what has been an underwhelming effort by the team.
This list and coaching panel need an overhaul because it’s shortcomings were laid bare for everyone to see tonight.
Stephenson is an absolute gun AFL player so the fact that he has fallen off the cliff with confidence and form is a blight in the coaching staff. He came in as a raw 18 yo and was an excitement machine until the coaches began to mould him into a spiritless and sad looking figure.
Imagine what Fagan would do with a player like Stevo!!!
There are a few holes in the team and coaching panel that I doubt the club has the balls to change.
Don’t be fooled by last weeks win. Yes it was an absolutely fantastic backs against the wall victory but we have been ordinary far more than not this year.
With the rumoured salary cap issues I really do wonder WTF is going on at the club. How can a club that hasn’t won a premiership and lost a PF last year in such a dire salary cap situation??

The post-mortem will no doubt be a typical Collingwood romanticising love feat that doesn’t address the glaring issues that are plaguing not just the team but the whole club.

Interesting off season coming up....and could Mr Peter Murphy please come forward.
Cough Cough, Fasolo.....its been happening for years, and watch the fan base turn on Stevo like they did the Prince of Perth
No wonder we’re being out coached, it seems the coaching staff is spending all its time moulding excitement machines into spiritless and sad looking figures.
It might be just me but when you invest pick six on a classy outside mid, you might expect that three pre seasons later ( glandular fever aside ) asking him to play that role wouldn’t be much of a stretch.
You do you but I’m prepared to wait another season or two before I remain convinced the club is responsible for destroying his heart and soul.
Mr Miyagi

Post by Mr Miyagi »

Betting scandal, glandular fever... as far as I’m concerned, Stephenson is still in his first year of development. They might have treated his glandular training workload differently due to the heat condition as well? I dunno. But he’s not a third year player and that betting scandal changed him. Up to him up change again for the better.
SteveH67

Post by SteveH67 »

Given the late season finish, at least we have less time to wait until next season comes along.

Although who knows if crowds will back for Rd1
Last edited by SteveH67 on Sun Oct 11, 2020 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Social club member 7342 since 2000.
Lazza

Post by Lazza »

SteveH67 wrote:Given the late season finish, at least we have less time to wait until next season comes along.

Althought who knows if crowds will back for Rd1
If not I guess it’s interstate footy again
Don't confuse your current path with your final destination. Just because it's dark and stormy now doesn't meant that you aren't headed for glorious sunshine!
doriswilgus
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 21 times

Post by doriswilgus »

Lazza wrote:
SteveH67 wrote:Given the late season finish, at least we have less time to wait until next season comes along.

Althought who knows if crowds will back for Rd1
If not I guess it’s interstate footy again
Mr Miyagi

Post by Mr Miyagi »

Yep. We better sort this virus out otherwise guess what? Qld hub next year too and more games at the Gabba where the groundskeeper hates AFL and prepares the pitch for cricket every week. Honestly, I think we’re going to see an even different competition next year. Who knows if we can even have a normal preseason in Melbourne
PyreneesPie
Has liked: 66 times

Post by PyreneesPie »

tbaker wrote:All the player bashing on here...not good...
Just about all players displayed a lack of effort at some stage in the game last night: e.g. Quaynor ran hard to chase a cat and then halted at the last second allowing the cat to release the kick; no desperate lunging tackle or attempted smother...so are we going to call for Quaynor to be cut on the back of that? No, and neither should we for other players who always seem to be in the gun...
Grundy: cut him some slack; he is a true warrior who has a proven record of delivery in big games (albeit not this year, except rd 1); he will rebound
WHE: disappointing but has huge upside. Wouldn't be contemplating cutting him this year
Mayne: just what did he do wrong this year? Not much by my reckoning..sure he's not the fastest mover of the ball, but he does contest (time and time again)
JT: played much better later in the year, and he may now be a fringe player (but a pretty good fringe player to have imho)
Cox: park him forward and keep him there; it's not his fault if the ball doesn't reach him
Roughead: disappointing year and he too had hub problems (it was indicated early on in the season that he may cut short his time in the hub for personal reasons, but he was obviously committed enough to the team to stay, but which no doubt caused him personal anguish); he works well with Howe in the team, so will expect a lift when Howe returns

In reality, there's going to be enough retirements and delistings without having to "throw the baby out with the bathwater". There will be enough freed up list spots to obtain new players (trade or draft) without tossing out players who are still of value for the team, even if only to have as ready made reserves - remember 2010 we had so many of these (Medhurst, Lockyer, OBree, Fraser etc.) which created competition for spots - so we do still need those players who may seem replaceable but in reality are needed for depth.
Excellent post IMHO. It's so very refreshing to read a post that is not full of unwarranted, hysterical criticism. Well done tbaker.
A few lost the plot on here last night, especially those that became "enraged' by what Bucks said in his presser, when he'd been quite misquoted. Basing one's severe criticism on what another poster imagines Bucks has said is ludicrous and insulting.
Supporters lashing out against individual players or Bucks because their expectations have not been met is just childish and immature I reckon. Constructive criticism emanating from some understanding of the rigorous demands of the game, both physically and mentally, is far more intelligent and worthwhile.
Piesnchess
Has liked: 178 times
Been liked: 72 times

Post by Piesnchess »

IM bitterly disappointed, but reality has set in. We spent all our petrol tickets in Perth, in that wonderful victory, and we had nothing more to give. We looked and played, exhausted, sluggish, buggered, nothing like us at all, from previoius week. The fixture did us NO favours, even a tigers fan told me we got rotten fixture, 3 games in 12 days, 3 different States, TWICE, no other team got that aside from the Hawks. Last night it all imploded, my only solace is we would not have beaten the fresh, raging Lions, the old Cats wont beat em, they were fired up last night too, by the media flogging them over 4 wins in 16 Finals, Sellwood said as much too, they came out breathing fire, but wont get far next week. As for us, it is what it is, now we can concentrate on the draft, moving some players on, retirements, etc, its all we can do now, logically.
Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor, but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
PyreneesPie
Has liked: 66 times

Post by PyreneesPie »

Piesnchess wrote:IM bitterly disappointed, but reality has set in. We spent all our petrol tickets in Perth, in that wonderful victory, and we had nothing more to give. We looked and played, exhausted, sluggish, buggered, nothing like us at all, from previoius week. The fixture did us NO favours, even a tigers fan told me we got rotten fixture, 3 games in 12 days, 3 different States, TWICE, no other team got that aside from the Hawks. Last night it all imploded, my only solace is we would not have beaten the fresh, raging Lions, the old Cats wont beat em, they were fired up last night too, by the media flogging them over 4 wins in 16 Finals, Sellwood said as much too, they came out breathing fire, but wont get far next week. As for us, it is what it is, now we can concentrate on the draft, moving some players on, retirements, etc, its all we can do now, logically.
Another sensible post that accepts the harsh realities of what we had to endure over the season. Thank you Piesnchess.

To win against the Eagles, we had to play like it was our GF. We left absolutely everything out there and it was herculian effort that took its toll. For us, it would've been the same as backing up again after the 2010 drawn GF, except this time, our opponents had three extra days to refresh (two extra days because they played previously on the Thursday night, one extra day not spent on a plane). A bridge way too far.
Mr Miyagi

Post by Mr Miyagi »

^^^^ sums up our 2020 season and why we fell apart last night
BazBoy

Post by BazBoy »

“It looked like the players gave up hope”. was Bucks opinion during post game interview
Wow !!!!