Parliament House sexual assault and harassment allegations

Nick's current affairs & general discussion about anything that's not sport.
Voice your opinion on stories of interest to all at Nick's.

Moderator: bbmods

5 from the wing on debut

Post by 5 from the wing on debut »

Pies4shaw wrote:^ That there are exceptions that prove the rule is not an answer to the political issue. The fact that it happens from very occasional time to very occasional time is neither here nor there for the political, as distinct from legal, process. The research suggests that, at worst, 10% of accusations are false (which means, of course, that, at worst, 90% are likely to be true) but the more sophisticated analysis is that the incidence of false reporting is under 1%.
The fact that cases like that have been documented are likely to mean that the political decision will mean that there is no change to the law, unless society is now governed by a few people with many different twitter accounts.

I have seen those studies in relation to the percentage of false rape allegations as well as the percentage of rapes that were not reported. Their figures and conclusions are more rubbery than rubber, even if I do sound like Baldrick in saying that.
5 from the wing on debut

watt price tully wrote:
5 from the wing on debut wrote:That's right, but couldn't you also say that there is high correlation of women with mental health issues who deliberately self harm and suicide, when those woman have not been sexually assaulted or raped?
No.
Psychology/psychiatry and mental health is not my field, but I find it hard to believe that there is not a high correlation between mental health issues and women who deliberately self harm and suicide.
watt price tully

Post by watt price tully »

You left out abuse

In my field there is a pandemic of sexual abuse with people we see: it's staggering & I'm still gobsmacked by just how much of it there is. I do see a skewed sample but abuse and sexual abuse is rife
“I even went as far as becoming a Southern Baptist until I realised they didn’t keep ‘em under long enough” Kinky Friedman
watt price tully

Hard to argue with the logic of this:

"If he were a teacher, would you be happy for him to keep teaching your kids?

In some respects Christian Porter's role is one of a higher public trust than that of the prime minister. He is also accused of committing a heinous crime. That, like it or not, hangs over his head"

https://www.crikey.com.au/2021/03/03/ch ... integrity/
“I even went as far as becoming a Southern Baptist until I realised they didn’t keep ‘em under long enough” Kinky Friedman
David
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 35 times

Post by David »

"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
5 from the wing on debut

watt price tully wrote:You left out abuse

In my field there is a pandemic of sexual abuse with people we see: it's staggering & I'm still gobsmacked by just how much of it there is. I do see a skewed sample but abuse and sexual abuse is rife
Yes, someone very close to me was a victim of that when she was a child.
It was just as well for the perpetrator, and for myself, that he had disappeared before I found out about it.
eddiesmith
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 16 times

Post by eddiesmith »

@Pie4Shaw

Basic things like innocent until proven guilty and no reason he should be sacked over an unproven allegation.

It’s interesting to watch all the outrage over this allegation and ridiculous calls by certain one eyed posters about his position, yet we had someone accused of rape who stood for the highest office in the land and people accepted the police decision to not proceed.

If this woman was alive and police decided not to proceed on Porters case, the outrage would be off the charts! Just like they currently get outraged when people point out their hypocrisy.
stui magpie
Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 74 times

Post by stui magpie »

Pies4shaw wrote:
stui magpie wrote:^

So in essence you're saying Bill Shorten is a rapist who got away with it.
I don't understand your point. I have no interest in Shorten. I think you mistake me for an ALP voter.
You mistake me for someone who cares who you vote for. I was just taking your comments to the logical conclusion
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
5 from the wing on debut

It's now been stated by the police that the woman that made the allegations against Porter met with the police 5 times, never made a written statement to them and a few days before her death, informed the police that she was not proceeding with the matter.
think positive
Has liked: 216 times
Been liked: 85 times

Post by think positive »

5 from the wing on debut wrote:It's now been stated by the police that the woman that made the allegations against Porter met with the police 5 times, never made a written statement to them and a few days before her death, informed the police that she was not proceeding with the matter.
that should be the end of it. im all for victims rights, everytime. i dont think its fair to hound the guy further, if he is smut as WPT says, they will come out of the woodwork. there are things i did at that age im not about to talk about ever again, and i have always been a law abiding citizen, id hate them to come back and haunt me. its not about statute of limitations, its more common sense. its been how many years?

as for the teacher comment, until he is convicted of something i would not pass judgement, you may know more about him WPT, I dont, so i cant judge him on your feelings.
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
5 from the wing on debut

Of course though it won't be the end of it because for the most part it has never been about the alleged victim, it has been about scoring political points.
Pies4shaw
Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 87 times

Post by Pies4shaw »

eddiesmith
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 16 times

Post by eddiesmith »

But this isn't the victim, it's 'anonymous' friends of the victim. Who knows who they are? Could be being pushed by someone after Porters seat at the next election.
watt price tully

5 from the wing on debut wrote:Of course though it won't be the end of it because for the most part it has never been about the alleged victim, it has been about scoring political points.
I think you’ll find her friends think differently and they have been very strong here.

Fortunately or unfortunately as the 4 corners programme attests Porter has some related form

At the same time the timing has been impeccable:

1. Scotty from Marketing saying before he becomes pm that we need to believe victims of abuse
2. Women pollies in the liberal party identifying a culture of abuse and bullying
3. Two women staffers identifying their maltreatment in the Liberal Party
4. The Four Corners Programme in November 2020 researching 3. above and interviewing the women and also identifying Porter as an alleged creep
5. The Australian of the Year being a young woman who was raped and silenced by antiqued laws

Apart from that you could say it was politically opportunistic.

As my old man used to say: “you’ve made your bed now you gotta lie in it”

(I only saw bits of Porter on TV because of work but no matter how you swing it was painful for him)

An enquiry will give him the benefit of clearing his name. A person died and she claimed he raped her. He should be given the chance to clear his name as the burden lies with the claimants (as it were) on the balance of probabilities.
Pies4shaw
Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 87 times

Post by Pies4shaw »

^ Let it be assumed, for argument's sake, that this is being pushed by someone who wants Porter's seat and is doing this solely for that purpose. That doesn't (and can't) affect the authenticity (or otherwise) of the underlying allegation.