Parliament House sexual assault and harassment allegations

Nick's current affairs & general discussion about anything that's not sport.
Voice your opinion on stories of interest to all at Nick's.

Moderator: bbmods

David
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 37 times

Post by David »

"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
stui magpie
Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 74 times

Post by stui magpie »

watt price tully wrote:
stui magpie wrote:Or alternatively, you and Shaun Micallef weren't in the room he was reading.

Did he get any complaints from woman in his electorate (where he was voted in) who he offered flowers to, or just from extreme left wingers elsewhere who think their opinions constitute "the room"?
Anyone with half a brain wouldn’t have done what Dave did including our David despite his protestations on International Women’s Day.

It’s OK Stui, the 19th and 20th centuries will catch up with Tokumwal let alone the Liberal Party soon
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
watt price tully

Post by watt price tully »

“I even went as far as becoming a Southern Baptist until I realised they didn’t keep ‘em under long enough” Kinky Friedman
watt price tully

“I even went as far as becoming a Southern Baptist until I realised they didn’t keep ‘em under long enough” Kinky Friedman
eddiesmith
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 16 times

Post by eddiesmith »

These same idiots that talk about reading the room were upset ScoMo attended a women’s event at Parliament House after the Brittany Higgins story broke...Of course if he’d cancelled the same people would have been outraged by that as well!!!

But it’s nice that some people’s lives are so good that this is what upsets them.
Pies4shaw
Has liked: 55 times
Been liked: 87 times

Post by Pies4shaw »

watt price tully

A clear demonstration of an own goal and not reading the room.
eddiesmith
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 16 times

Post by eddiesmith »

Lawyers choosing who they represent, that's a first!
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

^

Some of us prefer reading books. :P

Anyway, this should bury the recovered memories argument.

https://www.news.com.au/national/politi ... 3c2ba69881

Interestingly, this bloke says he had discussed the case with Porter as far back as 92 and after.
“I continue to be devastated by the untimely death of my very dear friend, and I am enormously concerned for the privacy and dignity of her family,’’ Mr Hooke said.

“I am also concerned for the wellbeing of Christian Porter. I have known all of them for approximately 30 years. We all find ourselves at a very upsetting time.

“Mine is just one set of recollections, and I am aware of the fallibility of human memory, however unintentional.

“That said, I have what I consider to be clear recollections of relevant discussions I had with her over the years from mid-1988 until her death.

“I also have what I consider to be clear recollections of relevant discussions I had with Christian Porter from April 1992 in Perth and through the mid-1990s.”
My read is that in supporting an inquiry, he's not necessarily implying it will find Porter guilty but suggesting it would serve as a circuit breaker for the current trial by media. Others may read it differently.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
David
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 37 times

Post by David »

Yep, that's pretty significant corroboration. Any inquiry should absolutely interview him.
"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
doriswilgus
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 21 times

Post by doriswilgus »

It is a significant corroboration of the woman’s complaint,because this man recalls hearing about it just a year after it allegedly happened.So it’s clearly not a case of recovered memory syndrome.
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

Any student of the Cold War can predict the outcome when Scott Morrison and Anthony Albanese walk into Parliament next week and confront the big test of the coming fortnight: whether Christian Porter is fit to remain Attorney-General.

If and when the Labor leader fires a missile, the Prime Minister can press a nuclear button of his own. The result would be a form of mutually assured destruction.
https://www.theage.com.au/politics/fede ... 579wv.html

Pretty good article, shows how the cases of Porter and Shorten aren't that different yet the treatment by the media is very much so.

A point not mentioned in the article is that with Shorten pushing Albo's buttons, it may be politically expedient to for Albo to throw Bill under the same bus as Porter.
5 from the wing on debut

Post by 5 from the wing on debut »

stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

5 from the wing on debut wrote:It’s the ALP’s turn now.

https://www.news.com.au/national/politi ... 1fee1765c6
Some of those examples would have been OTT in the 80's

Surely no-one with an IQ above 40 really thought this was just confined to the Liberal party?
5 from the wing on debut

Post by 5 from the wing on debut »

That’s about right.

Will there be more politically motivated calls for inquiries in relation to each of these allegations?