Parliament House sexual assault and harassment allegations

Nick's current affairs & general discussion about anything that's not sport.
Voice your opinion on stories of interest to all at Nick's.

Moderator: bbmods

David
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 37 times

Post by David »

5 from the wing on debut wrote:It’s the ALP’s turn now.

https://www.news.com.au/national/politi ... 1fee1765c6
I always kind of suspected career politicians were sickos. Just imagine for a moment what kind of personalities rise through the ranks in this world of lying, backstabbing, manipulating and crushing the weak, and then spend their working lives around people who are just as repellent as they are. These people aren’t fit to work in a supermarket let alone decide the future of our country.
"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
5 from the wing on debut

Post by 5 from the wing on debut »

I spent the nights during my last 4 years at uni stacking shelves in a supermarket!
David

Post by David »

Not sure the relevance, 5, but good on you. ;)
"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
5 from the wing on debut

Post by 5 from the wing on debut »

The relevance is that you commented upon fitness to work in a supermarket.
David

Post by David »

Yes, but I was talking about politicians, not Nick’s BB posters!

To be clear, I’m not using the example of a supermarket in a purely rhetorical sense. I mean, quite literally, that these people are unfit to work in a supermarket.
stui magpie
Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 74 times

Post by stui magpie »

^
I think you're being very harsh on Supermarket workers there, as if working there is a very low bar.

Rather lets just say that the behaviour examples in that article should not happen in any workplace in this century and anyone who thinks it's appropriate is an absolute bell end.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
David

Post by David »

"I'm worried about what you've got against supermarket workers." :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JxlZ4i3VjXY

Look, as someone who myself spent four years working at McDonald's, which is about equally glamorous if not considerably less so, can I please ask that we get back on topic? :lol:

But yes, in all seriousness, this is all I was saying:
stui magpie wrote:the behaviour examples in that article should not happen in any workplace in this century and anyone who thinks it's appropriate is an absolute bell end.
think positive
Has liked: 216 times
Been liked: 86 times

Post by think positive »

stui magpie wrote:^
I think you're being very harsh on Supermarket workers there, as if working there is a very low bar.

Rather lets just say that the behaviour examples in that article should not happen in any workplace in this century and anyone who thinks it's appropriate is an absolute bell end.
yup thats how i red it too
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
David

Post by David »

Guys, I was just trying to think of a random generic profession. Have mercy! :P
stui magpie
Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 74 times

Post by stui magpie »

Attorney-General Christian Porter has commenced defamation action in the Federal Court against the ABC and journalist Louise Milligan in a bid to clear his name and save his political career.

Mr Porter is suing the ABC for publishing “false allegations against him” in an online story that claimed he was the subject of historical rape allegations and, in a statement of claim, has also cited a Four Corners report in November last year.
This popped up in Twitter.

He's using some of the same lawyers that represented Brittany Higgins.

They claim he's been subjected to a trial by media. This part is very interesting.
The statement of claim accuses the ABC and Milligan of selecting portions of the woman’s dossier that made the “allegations appear as credible as possible when there were other significant portions of the Dossier which demonstrated that the allegations were not credible.”
https://www.theaustralian.com.au/nation ... 8b169aa524

The number of people who seem to have access to the whole "dossier" is increasing every day, only a matter of time before it makes it's way into the public domain.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
David

Post by David »

Pies4shaw
Has liked: 55 times
Been liked: 87 times

Post by Pies4shaw »

watt price tully

Post by watt price tully »

stui magpie wrote:^

Some of us prefer reading books. :P

Anyway, this should bury the recovered memories argument.

https://www.news.com.au/national/politi ... 3c2ba69881

Interestingly, this bloke says he had discussed the case with Porter as far back as 92 and after.
“I continue to be devastated by the untimely death of my very dear friend, and I am enormously concerned for the privacy and dignity of her family,’’ Mr Hooke said.

“I am also concerned for the wellbeing of Christian Porter. I have known all of them for approximately 30 years. We all find ourselves at a very upsetting time.

“Mine is just one set of recollections, and I am aware of the fallibility of human memory, however unintentional.

“That said, I have what I consider to be clear recollections of relevant discussions I had with her over the years from mid-1988 until her death.

“I also have what I consider to be clear recollections of relevant discussions I had with Christian Porter from April 1992 in Perth and through the mid-1990s.”
My read is that in supporting an inquiry, he's not necessarily implying it will find Porter guilty but suggesting it would serve as a circuit breaker for the current trial by media. Others may read it differently.
The recovered memory as an issue here was buried before it started. Her claims were documented and told before she went to that therapist: she’d been to others beforehand. It is and was a non issue for the dead woman who alleged that Christian Porter raped her.
“I even went as far as becoming a Southern Baptist until I realised they didn’t keep ‘em under long enough” Kinky Friedman
watt price tully

Post by watt price tully »

David wrote:
5 from the wing on debut wrote:It’s the ALP’s turn now.

https://www.news.com.au/national/politi ... 1fee1765c6
I always kind of suspected career politicians were sickos. Just imagine for a moment what kind of personalities rise through the ranks in this world of lying, backstabbing, manipulating and crushing the weak, and then spend their working lives around people who are just as repellent as they are. These people aren’t fit to work in a supermarket let alone decide the future of our country.
That’s true but the Libs seem to have made an art form out of it.

https://www.crikey.com.au/2021/03/10/bi ... ral-party/
“I even went as far as becoming a Southern Baptist until I realised they didn’t keep ‘em under long enough” Kinky Friedman
Tannin

Post by Tannin »

Porter has been very clever: this action will intimidate anyone thinking of making any further revelations, and provides the government with a ready-made excuse to stonewall in a major way: they will be able to deny all calls for enquiry or action by saying "it is a matter before a court, our hands are tied".
�Let's eat Grandma.� Commas save lives!