Post Match. Pies punish Blues. All comments, please.

Match previews, reviews, reports and discussion.

Moderator: bbmods

Rosolino_Leone

Post by Rosolino_Leone »

Rosolino_Leone wrote:
Donny wrote:Collingwood 16.10.106
Carlton 13.7.85

Goals: De Goey 4, Checkers 3, Cox, Elliott 2, Ruscoe, Adams, Daics, H-E, Sidey 1,

Disposals: Crisp 36, Pendles 30, Adams 29, Moore, Sidey, Noble, Howe 22, Magden, IQ, Daics, Grundy, Sier 16, Tyler 14,

Tackles: Adams 7, Grundy 6, Pendles, Roughy, Daics 5.

DE: Moore 90.9%, Tyler, Daics, 87.5

AF points: Grundy 122, Adams 121, Crisp 113, Pendles 107, Howe 87, Noble 83, Moore 81, Sidey 80,

I vote for Clearences to be shown in the post match stats on Nicks. It's a very important stat.

Clearences: Adams 13, Grundy 4, T. Brown 4, Sier 4, Pendlebury 3
Clearences is the main stat we will need to improve on to afford the luxury of playing JDG deep forward. We cant rely on Adams to get 13 every week.

I just reckon we saw a glimpse of the future tonight, in B.Sier and T.Brown hitting this area. If we can get 5-6 each week from these 2 guys that would be a step in the right direction. Grundy is also crucial for clearences and well as Pendles, but Sier and Brown will be even more important for Collingwood this year in terms of helping with the burden. Reef McInness is another im looking fwd to seeing potentially

Even though Adams won 13 clearences Carlton won overall 40-35 which goes to show why we need to improve rapidly. Tonight was fairly open game, usually 35 clearences is a dominating number and to be able to have a chance of achieving that number 35 then we will need 5 guys to chip in with an average of 5 per game. We can accumulate the rest throughout the team.

Adams, Pendlebury, Grundy, Sier and T.Brown are the 5 moving forward and hopefully Sier is ready to explode in the coming weeks.

Adams in averaging 5.00 per game
Pendlebury 4.49
Grundy 4.03
Sier 3.68

Has anybody seen Reef Mcinnes in this regard?
Last edited by Rosolino_Leone on Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jezza
Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 191 times

Post by Jezza »

PyreneesPie wrote:That would've been a truly wonderful few minutes Jezza :) Love it when the chant gets going and it came through on the broadcast too.
It was a great moment :)
🏆 | 1902 | 1903 | 1910 | 1917 | 1919 | 1927 | 1928 | 1929 | 1930 | 1935 | 1936 | 1953 | 1958 | 1990 | 2010 | 2023 | 🏆
watt price tully

Post by watt price tully »

Jezza wrote:
PyreneesPie wrote:That would've been a truly wonderful few minutes Jezza :) Love it when the chant gets going and it came through on the broadcast too.
It was a great moment :)
Yeah that was great. Our seats were on level 1 row O near the MCC members pocket. Joy to the world
“I even went as far as becoming a Southern Baptist until I realised they didn’t keep ‘em under long enough” Kinky Friedman
Piesnchess
Has liked: 178 times
Been liked: 72 times

Post by Piesnchess »

Most amusing to see the ones on here, and THEY know who they are, who were bagging the absolute crap out of our team last week, now on this thread singing the teams praises, jumping for joy. ! Not sure id want many of em side by side in my trench, but hey, thats footy i guess. I knew we would hit back hard, and i did tip us pre game too, always great to beat this mob, no matter how we are going on field. !
Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor, but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
BazBoy
Been liked: 29 times

Post by BazBoy »

I'm not arguing--just explaining why i am right
slangman
Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 9 times

Post by slangman »

A very solid performance that was a big step in the right direction.
We still kept the blues in the game with some simple errors which resulted in momentum shifts. Eliminate those and we will be a formidable side who could easily finish top 8.
Great games by Moore, JDG and Crisp with very big improvement from the Brown boys and WHE.
The team has enough quality and talent, it’s the inconsistency that needs to improve. Hopefully this goes a long way to instilling confidence in the group.
- Side By Side -
qldmagpie67
Been liked: 78 times

Post by qldmagpie67 »

I always wait until watching the game a second time before posting as I believe I miss way to much the first time
Be it emotion or not having the option to rewind play and look at things more closely

For mine the difference this week to last was tackling, pressure and being more willing to take the game on
We tackled everything in a blue jumper that moved and the tackles stuck this week unlike last week
We pressured them all over the ground. Yes they moved the ball well at times but I think that’s more to do with the change in rules. Ball movement is going to be vital. If you can rebound switch and run your going to be in games. Defences don’t have time to reset and teams can’t flood as quickly.
Tonight we backed ourselves to move it quicker and be more bold
There’s several instances especially in the 1st half where we switched and then went back inside opened them up and scored

A few observations on individuals
Adams was immense tonight he was the difference between the sides. He set the tone from the first bounce. Every time Cripps or Williams went to a contest he made it business to man them knowing they would be the ones trying to extract it for the scum
There was a chase down tackle can’t remember if it was 3rd or 4th quarter a scum player was running to be about 30 out in front of goal Adams came from behind and talked him turn over rebound and we are safe again

Pendles just defies his age at times. He is majestic simple as that

Moore is proving to be a generational defender. He reads play well, he has great hands and his field kicking is above average. Once he learns how to use his body better he will be the complete package

Crisp is vital to our team. He just makes good decisions whether in defence or attacking. He is a just a footy player and can be equally effective as a defender or going into the midfield

JDG could be anything. He could have easily had 7 or 8 tonight
Balancing his time between midfield and forward is the thing.
We need his genius near goal but also his skills around the ball

Only a couple of very small negatives (other than the Elliott injury)

Grundy was better tonight but still his hitouts are questionable. A few times he hit the ball in the completely opposite direction his team mates were moving. He was also out muscled and out marked a few times and his hands going for a mark are weak. But there was definite improvement from last week and hopefully this continues

Thomas just isn’t a AFL standard footballer. His man just runs off him all the time and he slowly jogs behind him a safe 15m away without looking to worried. Surely if this team wants to be winning finals he can’t be in the 22

Sidey was short of a gallop. Don’t think he was 100%. His man run off him at times as well and maybe it was design he spent more time hovering on a wing waiting for our defenders to win it back then feed it forward to him. He did some nice things under pressure and his calm when working with the Browns and Daicos made there games better.

Fatigue is going to be a factor in all games and we need to be more smarter in our interchanges. To many times we had Adams and Pendles both off at the same time. This means our captain and inspirational leader aren’t there. We need one of them on the field at all times. There was a couple instances when both off and we seemed lost at stoppages

Cox gets some good looks at it and needs to start holding more marks. If he can hold 70% of what hits his hands we are going to be a far better side. Also take a big railway spike and pound it through goal line and give him 25m of chain like a dog run and say don’t go any further than that from goal

Overall week on week it was chalk and cheese
We need to keep improving
Last nights opposition are offensive focused and dont defend well so the ease we scored last night won’t be the same each week going forward

Please we won and look forward to more improvements next week
think better
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 26 times

Post by think better »

Pies2016 wrote:
Cruisinwithdids wrote:
Cam wrote:And whatever we offered Cripps for next year needs to be reduced by 25% :lol:
Cripps has had 8 kicks in each of the first 2games. McGuane said on radio this week that he is not an elite mid because he can only run up to 12k’s a game. I hope we aren’t chasing him, he is very over rated.
The new rules don’t suit him either. Way less stoppages and less congestion.
The best big mids should be able to stay on the ground and rest up forward and make a scoreboard impact like Martin ( not that he’s big ) Degoey, Bont, Fyfe etc. You wouldn’t put Cripps in that category.
On the TV it looked like Sier had a run with role on Cripps when he was on the ball - not sure if that was the case
I think therefore I think - I think
Pies2016
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 87 times

Post by Pies2016 »

Piesnchess wrote:Most amusing to see the ones on here, and THEY know who they are, who were bagging the absolute crap out of our team last week, now on this thread singing the teams praises, jumping for joy. ! Not sure id want many of em side by side in my trench, but hey, thats footy i guess. I knew we would hit back hard, and i did tip us pre game too, always great to beat this mob, no matter how we are going on field. !
Yep.

According to some, Buckley had lost the players a week ago but it seems like he won them back again a week later.
The list as it stands right now isn’t great ( on the back of inexperience and unknowns more than anything ) so we’re going to have our ups and downs but the need to put the boots in after round one says more about the posters than it does the coach. Let’s just play a few teams and see we where stand before we start making assessments on Buckley’s 2021 coaching performance.
Pies2016
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 87 times

Post by Pies2016 »

Raw Hammer wrote:
mgh3536 wrote:Just watched the replay

The pictures that Thomas has of Buckley must be bad how else does he get a game..

I think the brown boys development is coming along

How many times tonight did we wait for the ball to come to us instead of meeting it with outstretched arms...

Cox still getting knocked off balance just before ball arrives and a combination of running under and being edged under the ball... but he doesn’t take the ball in front of his eyes , if they haven’t fixed it by now ....

Noble is going ok
Quaynor looks the goods
Magden ... na

Buckley has got to free these blokes up, just take it on...

Crisp Moore quaynor noble transition into fwd has to continue and enhanced
True story: I have a a broken (smashed) iPhone as a result of T.Brown trying to CHEST mark the JDG pass to him at the top of the square in the second quarter instead of using his outstretched arms in the marking contest. A certain goal goes begging. He would later attempt a CHEST mark instead of a hands-mark later in the game that resulted in a spoil and stoppage. If his post game review isn't brutal then our club is a joke.

(Typed from my desktop computer.)
The goods news is, we won’t be kicking the lowest score this week.
The bad news is, on that performance, T Brown won’t be anywhere near getting dropped. He played reasonably well for a 10 game veteran.
BazBoy

Post by BazBoy »

Whoever ran with Cripps did a good job

Cripps was effective but not up to his usual effective self

Walsh & Murphy started on fire but got rained in

Like many Scummers the relentless fierce and hard tackles told on their stamina
qldmagpie67
Been liked: 78 times

Post by qldmagpie67 »

BazBoy wrote:Whoever ran with Cripps did a good job

Cripps was effective but not up to his usual effective self

Walsh & Murphy started on fire but got rained in

Like many Scummers the relentless fierce and hard tackles told on their stamina
Sier and Adams shared role and when Cripps went inside 50 Maynard went to him
Obviously we wanted harder bigger bodies near him which seemed to work well
Adams went to him early as a statement of our intent I feel
BazBoy

Post by BazBoy »

Last night watch older brother Josh with his excellent ball use and seeing snippets of young Nick I can imagine the back yard footy they and Dad would have had
Learning from the best of best
Culprit
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 30 times

Post by Culprit »

A weeks a long time in footy. I wasn't happy at all with what I saw last week and they turned it around. It was great to see the Coach angry and showing emotion in the box, as always it's about perception. Elliot was playing great and I hope his injury is not too bad. My highlights, Adams tackle and Cox's hand gesture after kicking the goal.
thesoretoothsayer
Been liked: 14 times

Post by thesoretoothsayer »

Some things never change.
Looks like Gibbons was channelling Wayne Harmes for his goal of the year contender.
https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/michae ... 3c4c069e90