What are you listening to right now?

Nick's current affairs & general discussion about anything that's not sport.
Voice your opinion on stories of interest to all at Nick's.

Moderator: bbmods

think positive
Has liked: 212 times
Been liked: 85 times

Post by think positive »

Brilliant song!

I just watched some Nen Affleck movie, back in the game I think it was, there was one bit and I swear I could hear the chariots of Fire music playing! I was singing the music and junior was like huh! Funny how songs take you back!

That one takes me back to blue light discos and black moccos!
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
stui magpie
Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 73 times

Post by stui magpie »

Found this on youtube, mashup of Iron Maiden and ABBA, Hallowed be the Eagle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCHaioAJSuw

It's actually quite good :shock: :D
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
watt price tully

Post by watt price tully »

Buddy Guy in Jumpin’ the Blues hosted by Tom Sianidis Wednesday Pm show

https://www.pbsfm.org.au/program/jumpin-the-blues
“I even went as far as becoming a Southern Baptist until I realised they didn’t keep ‘em under long enough” Kinky Friedman
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

Jimmy Barnes singing Tenterfield Saddler.

https://www.facebook.com/jimmybarnesoff ... 0376350765

Sorry Jim, I think Peter Allan did it better.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
David
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 35 times

Post by David »

"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

Pies4shaw
Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 87 times

Post by Pies4shaw »

Two of Australia's most magnificent up and coming operatic stars performing one of the most beautiful songs ever written - "Au Fond du Temple Saint" from Bizet's "The Pearl Fishers".

This is a promo for the Myer Music Bowl performance on 22 April (with full orchestra, of course).

I dare you to try not to weep at the beauty of this when they join together for the two famous choruses.

I can't seem to create a direct link to the video (possibly because I don't have facebook). The main page is here and the duet is the first video link on that page: https://www.facebook.com/victorianopera/
David

Post by David »

"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
Pies4shaw

Post by Pies4shaw »

I hope you got there last night, David. It was fabulous (which I didn't really expect to be saying, since The Pearlfishers is - apart from that magnificent duet - not really my thing) - and, of course, way better with the full orchestra. Here's a review:

https://www.limelightmagazine.com.au/re ... ian-opera/

The Myer Music Bowl is a fabulous place to see a big performance like this.

I've got to say, though, it's a tragedy this was a "one-night only". All that work by all those people and all that perfection - and it's gone in a flash.
think positive

Post by think positive »

Bay city rollers, played done for my kids, RIP Les, and yes I had roller strollers!
David

Post by David »

Pies4shaw wrote:I hope you got there last night, David. It was fabulous (which I didn't really expect to be saying, since The Pearlfishers is - apart from that magnificent duet - not really my thing) - and, of course, way better with the full orchestra. Here's a review:

https://www.limelightmagazine.com.au/re ... ian-opera/

The Myer Music Bowl is a fabulous place to see a big performance like this.

I've got to say, though, it's a tragedy this was a "one-night only". All that work by all those people and all that perfection - and it's gone in a flash.
Sadly, I wasn’t successful in getting house seats and the remaining tickets were pretty expensive. Sounds like it was a great performance, though!
Pies4shaw

Post by Pies4shaw »

^ I'm sorry to hear that. That's why it's a tragedy it is only done once.

The COVID-affected seating arrangement did make tickets expensive. They were effectively selling tables of 4 or 6 people at a per table, rather than per seat, cost, from what I could see. Unfortunately, with financing being what it is in the Arts, there were no freebies. Even Zurga's Mum and Dad were sitting at a table of 6 up the back, which I thought was miserable. I have no idea what our tickets cost - my wife bought them - but I think they were quite a lot cheaper (a fraction of the price) than going to the Opera in a theatre. I got a series ticket for her and me to the Australian Opera many years ago (when Joan Carden was singing Tosca) - probably around 1988 or so. I think the good seats then were about $200 a pop, which meant around 2 grand to see a 5-opera season with the better-half. It's fair to say that I absolutely loved it but never seriously considered paying for a season again. That's why I think the opera companies should try to do more of these large-scale attendance events. It isn't perfect singing at the Bowl (everyone is amplified, out of necessity) but many, many people who would love these operas just never get to go because they are too expensive staged indoors. The shame of it is that the cost is a fair one - there aren't people becoming well-off doing this, so far as I can see.
David

Post by David »

It’s taken me a while to catch up with the Australian band Tropical F@&$ Storm, but I’m really digging this song off their first album:

https://youtu.be/iQYK3sLxeCo
roar
Been liked: 3 times

Post by roar »

^^ One of the best live acts going around, at the moment. Try and get to a gig any way you can. You won't regret it.

Standard Friday morning on PBS: Ports of Paradise with Palm Tree Paddy. Lots of exotic goodness from the 50s and 60s. This followed by Riddim Yard with Rick Howe. Jamaican music covering all eras. Personally, not a fan of the modern stuff but love pretty much everything prior to 1990.
kill for collingwood!
think positive

Post by think positive »

stui magpie wrote:I wanna go back to Vegas.

http://radio.garden/listen/go-live-vegas/qZPD8S3D
i wanna go anywhere!!! its so damn cold here! im thinking hawaii for a start!!

just watched the Kenny rogers special and howled my eyes out, kenny and Dolly, what a magic coupling.
even reba mcintyre was there, heaven!