Post Match. Pies down to Bombers. All comments, please.

Match previews, reviews, reports and discussion.

Moderator: bbmods

ANNODAM
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 28 times

Post by ANNODAM »

Early draft picks, laughing out loud at those who think that'll save us.

Carlton had a few of them too remember & how many years has it taken them?
WE WERE ROBBED, RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME, RIGHT IN FRONT OF MEEE!

N.Y METS, N.Y GIANTS, PENRITH PANTHERS & HOBART HURRICANES FAN.

WE ALL LOOK GOOD AT TRAINING, IT'S THE MATCHES THAT COUNT!
Peponi

Post by Peponi »

Players just don’t get Buckley’s game plan. Not his fault. I mean, after 10 years there is no excuse not to get the game plan.

It’s not your fault FIGJAM.
Formerly LeighBrownBrigade
masoncox
Been liked: 3 times

Post by masoncox »

piedys wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote:Those of you having a crack at Sidebottom might want to have a look at the stats - a game high 12 tackles and an equal game-high 17 contested possessions amongst his 30 disposals. The hard inside role is not his game because he's too small and too slow - but, as he has done his entire career, he just turns up to do what he can in whatever ridiculous slot the Coach asks him to fill. He's probably close to the end but, really, he was one of about a half a dozen AFL-standard players on the field for Collingwood today.
If he had 30 gets, most of them were panicked backwards rubbish to a team mate in worse position, not too dissimilar to the tripe his mate Beams used to accumulate...
Sidey just torched our momentum on countless occasions today.
Sure his efforts are there, but the game has passed him by; the 2018GF was the warning sign
Play him at the centre bounces only when desperate; then just leave him play forward pocket and retire there.
Yep
Forward line or the vfl
Mr Miyagi
Has liked: 48 times
Been liked: 113 times

Post by Mr Miyagi »

watt price tully

Post by watt price tully »

Sensei Grundy wrote:Players just don’t get Buckley’s game plan. Not his fault. I mean, after 10 years there is no excuse not to get the game plan.

I’m not sure those who read Nicks know where you stand in relation to Nathan Buckley. I’m sure if you posted the same message say 10 times and use pejorative terms like FIGJAM say another 10 times then others could get an inkling of an idea of where you stand.
“I even went as far as becoming a Southern Baptist until I realised they didn’t keep ‘em under long enough” Kinky Friedman
Mr Miyagi
Has liked: 48 times
Been liked: 113 times

Post by Mr Miyagi »

^^ most of Sidey’s “panic” backward kicks were because our forwards either weren’t leading/were outnumbered, or they weren’t even in the forward line. Sidey wasn’t alone in that either. How many times did we actually play rebound footy to go forward and.... no one was there. It’s not even unique to us, almost every game I’m seeing is every player surging forward to press the ball carrier. It’s shit to watch,
Last edited by Mr Miyagi on Sun Apr 25, 2021 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
masoncox
Been liked: 3 times

Post by masoncox »

We really are an ordinary side.
I have watched Kelly and Ruscoe and I just can't see any afl qualities there.
But still early days.
As people have said it is the midfield stupid.
Fix the midfield first and last.
take players from any line.
We must fix the midfield full stop.
Greening gold
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Greening gold »

Mark “Choco” Williams to replace Bucks at the end of the year? He got a flag at Port (and preserved Collingwood’s 4 successive flags record in the process), he was key in getting Hardwick and Richmond to flags, and now that he’s at Melbourne, they’re going OK too.
Choco for the Pies.
If you used to barrack for the 'Pies, you never barracked for the 'Pies.
Greening gold

Post by Greening gold »

Wonder if Sydney would swap Heaney and Papley for deGoey?
Monco Matt

Post by Monco Matt »

I'll admit that I was not able to watch the game from about half way through the 2nd qtr, but, I've read the match day comments. The sad part is that I feel like I've seen the game without seeing it and can comment very freely on how the game transpired without having seen it knowing who the main turnover culprits were and all the mistakes made without having seen much of it or any of it really. So with all that in mind I am going to give my opinion on the game without having seen probably 65% of it. Let me know how I go!

1. The kids had a crack but were under enormous pressure without enough support from senior players.
2. Leadership was non-existent when the game was slipping away in the last.
3. Darcy Moore was played up forward for too long and by the time he went back didn't have the feel for the position and got exposed. Lost at sea a bit. I'm really guessing here but am I right? I saw him up forward early and know he went back at some point.
4. Grundy spent the entire day stuffing the ball down the throats or into the path of Essendon players. How frustrating.
5. Maynard, Noble & Magden created many shocking turnovers that resulted in Essendon goals.
6. IQ tried his guts out but had very little support.
7. Sidey, WHE, Thomas all went AWOL when we needed them the most.
8. We are all getting tired of watching this broken record get played week in week out.

Let's not pretend that the Gold Coast and North games in the next 2 weeks are going to be anything different. We may very well get rolled in both. A long, dark year to get through, it will be rough.
Last edited by Monco Matt on Sun Apr 25, 2021 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RED "BABY" CAVANAUGH: Didn't hear what the bet was.

MONCO: Your life.
watt price tully

Post by watt price tully »

“I even went as far as becoming a Southern Baptist until I realised they didn’t keep ‘em under long enough” Kinky Friedman
PyreneesPie
Has liked: 66 times

Post by PyreneesPie »

watt price tully wrote:
Sensei Grundy wrote:Players just don’t get Buckley’s game plan. Not his fault. I mean, after 10 years there is no excuse not to get the game plan.

I’m not sure those who read Nicks know where you stand in relation to Nathan Buckley. I’m sure if you posted the same message say 10 times and use pejorative terms like FIGJAM say another 10 times then others could get an inkling of an idea of where you stand.
Thanks WPT. I was just going to post to object to the use of that derogative, out of date, irrelevant term. It offers nothing to useful discussion.
Greening gold

Post by Greening gold »

Sides has been a loyal and brave contributor but his best days are clearly behind him.
Who exactly is coaching the midfield and forwards these days? I haven’t seen Robert Harvey for a while so presume he has moved on.
I’d like the mids and forwards to be introduced to each other, so they know who they are. Be handy for players to know who to kick to, and to whom they are supposed to be kicking. They clearly have had no idea since 2018.
simon tonna

Post by simon tonna »

Mr Miyagi wrote:^^ most of Sidey’s “panic” backward kicks were because our forwards either weren’t leading/were outnumbered, or they weren’t even in the forward line. Sidey wasn’t alone in that either. How many times did we actually play rebound footy to go forward and.... no one was there. It’s not even unique to us, almost every game I’m seeing is every player surging forward to press the ball carrier. It’s shit to watch,
Miyagi san. It’s not how many times he gets it! It’s the way he decides to dispose of it. He’s a butcher no different to Grundy with he’s tap work. There’s nothing good about to happen when they have it. It’s literally unfolding in front of your eyes. But you choose not to see it. The problem now at Collingwood is our old squad out there today is they are over paid loyal to a tee over the hill plodders. It’s sad to some people but I’m so glad to see the last of them. Bucks is a goner and so should the ball hackers. Thank goodness.
no second chances
Magpietothemax
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 15 times

Post by Magpietothemax »

masoncox wrote:We really are an ordinary side.
I have watched Kelly and Ruscoe and I just can't see any afl qualities there.
But still early days.
As people have said it is the midfield stupid.
Fix the midfield first and last.
take players from any line.
We must fix the midfield full stop.
I can't really see how it would be valid to say that either Ruscoe or Kelly have or dont have AFL qualities. Ruscoe has played...umm...5 games i think, and I know for sure that Kelly has played 2.
The point is, our young guys cannot be expected to shine without the senior scafflolding.
If you look at the Swans in their first few games, they had a midfield with Luke Parker, Josh Kennedy and Isaac Heeney to support the youth. All of these guys are big bodies mids.
Who did we have to scaffold our midfield? Sidey and Pendles, both of whom are outside mids.
And that is it.
Every other mid was either playing his first or second game, or his 35th (Daicos), or his 17th (Brown).
Grundy pretty much did not have a viable midfield to gel with today.
You can't take out two competent mids (Treloar and Phillips) with absolutely nothing in return, and hope to compete viably, since your lack of depth will expose you.
Free Julian Assange!!
Ice in the veins