Post Match. Pies down to Bombers. All comments, please.

Match previews, reviews, reports and discussion.

Moderator: bbmods

The Boy Who Cried Wolf

Post by The Boy Who Cried Wolf »

Dark Beanie wrote:How do you know Gary Hocking would jump at the chance?
I don't but don't you think that a person who is obviously 'ambitious' to some point towards coaching would jump at getting a chance to coach/be in charge of an AFL side for half + a season to show his wears... he may never get another chance. I actually don't even care if he wins a game.. as long as we go through the correct process to replace Buckley, imo he would be the right kind of guy to nurture the side in this kind of scenario and let's be frank, most of the squad already know him. Call it gut feel as I don't know him personally but from everything I do know about him, I've never heard a bad remark, the opposite in fact.
All Aboard!! Choo Choo!!!
The Boy Who Cried Wolf

Post by The Boy Who Cried Wolf »

Magpietothemax wrote:
The Boy Who Cried Wolf wrote:Hocking would jump at the chance... and not that I think we should do this (it's a bit like living with your ex till you can find a new home) but would Bucks even want to coach until the end of the season if he was flat out told today he was finished. It's not healthy.
Ok...well maybe put feelers out in that direction...but if i was he... I would feel very angry about how I had been treated... and would demand conditions for a return...
I think we start our hunt for our new coach now...
And be willing to appoint him any time during the season for 3 years...
Only way we can attract quality...
If Buddha is willing to be a placeholder... then go for it.
That's exactly what we should do.
All Aboard!! Choo Choo!!!
Gerry Cooper
Has liked: 117 times
Been liked: 33 times

Post by Gerry Cooper »

Piesnchess wrote:
The Boy Who Cried Wolf wrote:.. I hate to say trust me.. but trust me, my idea is sound... Buckley is finished. The best thing the club can do is acknowledge that, finish his contract immediately and pay him out... I mean really he should be walking voluntarily if he really was thinking about the clubs best interests.. its way beyond his tenure now and everyone can see that. The club needs fresh air immediately, our win/loss ratio for the rest of the season is actually irrelevant - what's important now is sowing the seeds for future success and that starts with a change. Read my last post as to what we should be actually doing (as I even type this).

Interim coaches dont work mate, look at Rhys Shaw and Teague, they had to get old Worsfold in to help out Teague, what a utter humiliation for Teague, Blues fans are gobsmacked, Let Bucks walk at seasons end, as he said he would if we failed, meanwhiile, get some main players back, and play all our kids play as many as we can. THEN, go after Clarkson or Hodge, and offer either of em the bloody earth or maybe even Brad Scott, just get one of em and rebuild the playing list, it can be done, but its going to take time, :)
I want Buckley gone. I dont want him anywhere near our up and coming players, with his poor player management skills, his failed game plan, his penchant for ruining players by playing them out of position. his poor skills development, and his lack of integrity. The more exposure to Buckley they have, the more work it will be for the new coaches to unpick the damage Buckley has done to them. He needs to be gone asap.
Last edited by Gerry Cooper on Sun Apr 25, 2021 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true.�
Magpietothemax
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 15 times

Post by Magpietothemax »

MatthewBoydFanClub wrote:
Magpietothemax wrote:
1970 wrote:Korda has no legitimacy so he won't sack Buckley.
Ed has managed to leave the CFC in a worse state than he found it.

Agree with these sections of your comment. That is why i was not jubilant about Korda. He is linked to the entire ancien regime.
Now Eddie appears to be attempting to influence the selection of the next president.
This is unacceptable.
His opinion needs to be completely obliterated from the discussion.
Issue is that the other contendor, Brown, is a close mate of Eddie.
That gives a conduit for Eddie to keep influencing our club. And i will say this now, his influence is becoming noxious.
Can we cut a clean swathe through this morass?
Pretty good summary
The issue is this. Our new president comes out and says the board fully expects the club to be playing finals this year. If the board wants to believe it’s own bullshit after what happened at the end of last season that’s fine, but does the board seriously believe that the supporter base believes the bullshit the board puts out? The reality is we were never going to be finals this year. I highly doubt we’ll play finals next year either. I’m just happy we’re playing the kids. Murphy, Kelly and Cameron are all AFL standard. It’s pointless playing them in the VFL. Please keeping playing them. WHE is a much better player playing further up the field. We need to preserve with him. I’m even more confident with Callum Brown. He may well prove himself an AFL player. What I don’t understand is why we have to play Josh Thomas in the centre of the ground when we have two genuine midfielders in MaCrae and Rantall assigned to the graveyard positions on the field. We were losing all the centre clearances so why not give valuable midfield experience to MaCrae and Rantall? Just to repeat what I keep saying, Josh Thomas is too slow. Another one who is too slow is Madgen. He is and always will be a standard VFL player who will occasionally play the odd good game or two in the senior team. Buckley is too conservative a coach who doesn’t dare to win, so more times than not he loses. Winning isn’t about having a pecking order in the team. You have to play your best players in the right positions. Sometimes he gets it brilliantly right. Crisp on the half back line was a stroke of genius. More often than not though Buckley gets it wrong. And he got it spectacularly wrong when he decided in a stroke of madness that the team was better off without Treloar and Stephenson.
Pretty good summary MBFC. However, you are not correct in saying Bux decided that we would be better off without Acz, Flip and Stepho. What happened was that if we did not off load a serious amount of salary cap, we would be smashed in a salary cap debacle like Carlton. that would mean decades in the wilderness. But you cant offload the likes of WHE, Thomas, ...or others (you decide who they are) because no one is willing to pay to take them. So you must offload genuine talent lke Adz, Stepho and Flip as well (who is now proving himself by his absence). The list management at our club has f""#4ed us right over.
Free Julian Assange!!
Ice in the veins
Peponi

Post by Peponi »

When Malthouse was trying new talent there was a real buzz even if we were losing.

Buckley is going. Everyone knows that. So, he should throw in all the young kids (as many as he can who have great potential) and mix it up.

Cameron today proved he can play. He is a better mark than Cox. I wished Cox could be the player we thought he was going to be but he’s not going to be elite in his early 30s.
Formerly LeighBrownBrigade
Magpietothemax

Post by Magpietothemax »

Sensei Grundy wrote:When Malthouse was trying new talent there was a real buzz even if we were losing.

Buckley is going. Everyone knows that. So, he should throw in all the young kids (as many as he can who have great potential) and mix it up.

Cameron today proved he can play. He is a better mark than Cox. I wished Cox could be the player we thought he was going to be but he’s not going to be elite in his early 30s.
Agree that Cameron today made a statement and needs to stay in our forward line. We should definitely play kids, but try to scaffold them as much as possible. The return of JDG, and of Tay adams later in the season, will be decisive in fostering the growth of these young mids. I am rather pessimistic, but I am hoping that the Bear might awaken from his midwinter hibernation. If he does not, then it might be his last Arctic slumber.
Free Julian Assange!!
Ice in the veins
MatthewBoydFanClub
Been liked: 1 time

Post by MatthewBoydFanClub »

Magpietothemax wrote:
Magpietothemax wrote: Agree with these sections of your comment. That is why i was not jubilant about Korda. He is linked to the entire ancien regime.
Now Eddie appears to be attempting to influence the selection of the next president.
This is unacceptable.
That gives a conduit for Eddie to keep influencing our club. And i will say this now, his influence is becoming noxious.
Pretty good summary
The issue is this. Our new president comes out and says the board fully expects the club to be playing finals this year. If the board wants to believe it’s own bullshit after what happened at the end of last season that’s fine, but does the board seriously believe that the supporter base believes the bullshit the board puts out? The reality is we were never going to be finals this year. I highly doubt we’ll play finals next year either. I’m just happy we’re playing the kids. Murphy, Kelly and Cameron are all AFL standard. It’s pointless playing them in the VFL. Please keeping playing them. WHE is a much better player playing further up the field. We need to preserve with him. I’m even more confident with Callum Brown. He may well prove himself an AFL player. What I don’t understand is why we have to play Josh Thomas in the centre of the ground when we have two genuine midfielders in MaCrae and Rantall assigned to the graveyard positions on the field. We were losing all the centre clearances so why not give valuable midfield experience to MaCrae and Rantall? Just to repeat what I keep saying, Josh Thomas is too slow. Another one who is too slow is Madgen. He is and always will be a standard VFL player who will occasionally play the odd good game or two in the senior team. Buckley is too conservative a coach who doesn’t dare to win, so more times than not he loses. Winning isn’t about having a pecking order in the team. You have to play your best players in the right positions. Sometimes he gets it brilliantly right. Crisp on the half back line was a stroke of genius. More often than not though Buckley gets it wrong. And he got it spectacularly wrong when he decided in a stroke of madness that the team was better off without Treloar and Stephenson.
Pretty good summary MBFC. However, you are not correct in saying Bux decided that we would be better off without Acz, Flip and Stepho. What happened was that if we did not off load a serious amount of salary cap, we would be smashed in a salary cap debacle like Carlton. that would mean decades in the wilderness. But you cant offload the likes of WHE, Thomas, ...or others (you decide who they are) because no one is willing to pay to take them. So you must offload genuine talent lke Adz, Stepho and Flip as well (who is now proving himself by his absence). The list management at our club has f""#4ed us right over.
I can give you an alternative. We’re paying a third of Treloar’s salary anyway. Keep him and Stephenson whose only crime is he has an immature personality. Don’t give in to Grundy’s demands for a 7 year contract. Clear Grundy to Adelaide for a first and second round draft pick. We save a million and a half a year for clearing Grundy and Phillips which saves our salary cap. We make a play for Peter Wright who comes to Collingwood instead of Essendon. Our ruck stocks are secure with Cox, Cameron and Wright and we recruit a couple of gun recruits with high draft picks.
Cruisinwithdids

Post by Cruisinwithdids »

The Boy Who Cried Wolf wrote:
Piesnchess wrote: Interim coaches dont work mate, look at Rhys Shaw and Teague, they had to get old Worsfold in to help out Teague, what a utter humiliation for Teague, Blues fans are gobsmacked, Let Bucks walk at seasons end, as he said he would if we failed, meanwhiile, get some main players back, and play all our kids play as many as we can. THEN, go after Clarkson or Hodge, and offer either of em the bloody earth or maybe even Brad Scott, just get one of em and rebuild the playing list, it can be done, but its going to take time, :)
We're not trying to make an interim coach 'work' Piesnchess, he's a placeholder till we do get the right coach.. and if that happens to be before the end of the season so be it, the changes can start happening.

The next coach question is a difficult one, but there are viable options, and there is no way everyone will be happy with the final choice, myself included. My preference is for Lyon, or B.Scott (I actually prefer Scott) BUT it could be a fresh new coach - I don't care as long as we go through proper process and pick the best candidate and than surround that person with all the resources we have available. We can start this process immediately, there is nothing to be gained in waiting.
Collingwood need to forge their own future now. Forget hasten arseholes like Scott & Lyon. Those guys are defensive coaches who restrict talent. I think Collingwood has had enough of that. We need to actually find the next really good coach - not someone’s mate - or lazily go after a coach who was ok 10 years ago. That will be another mistake. It could be Sam Mitchell it could be someone else. . Smarter people than us at the club need to work that out. Accepting that we are now at the crossroads is the only way we can move forward. Can Collingwood admit it has stuffed up big time?
Magpietothemax

Post by Magpietothemax »

Magpietothemax wrote:
MatthewBoydFanClub wrote: Pretty good summary
I can give you an alternative. We’re paying a third of Treloar’s salary anyway. Keep him and Stephenson whose only crime is he has an immature personality. Don’t give in to Grundy’s demands for a 7 year contract. Clear Grundy to Adelaide for a first and second round draft pick. We save a million and a half a year for clearing Grundy and Phillips which saves our salary cap. We make a play for Peter Wright who comes to Collingwood instead of Essendon. Our ruck stocks are secure with Cox, Cameron and Wright and we recruit a couple of gun recruits with high draft picks.
I stopped reading when you said dont agree to grundy's contract. I am concerned with what we can do now, at this point, because we cant go back in time.
Free Julian Assange!!
Ice in the veins
MatthewBoydFanClub
Been liked: 1 time

Post by MatthewBoydFanClub »

All I’m saying is that we should never have jettisoned Treloar and Stephenson. It was a huge mistake. We had alternatives. Just crazy at the time.
Magpietothemax

Post by Magpietothemax »

MatthewBoydFanClub wrote:All I’m saying is that we should never have jettisoned Treloar and Stephenson. It was a huge mistake. We had alternatives. Just crazy at the time.
Yeah... i agree...jettisoning Adz and Stepho was a catastrophe. But now I am looking back at it... I actually think that our salary cap disaster forced us into that situation. We were actually compelled, by our own incompetence, to offload massive salary cap dollars. But you cannot do that except by offloading genuine talent, because everyone else knows that it is a fire sale. Buckley then decided that he would cover up for this incompetence by lying about Adz and likewise throwing Stepho overboard. Flip was another casualty, but because he kept his silence, there was little controversy over his exit.
Free Julian Assange!!
Ice in the veins
Cruisinwithdids

Post by Cruisinwithdids »

Magpietothemax wrote:
Magpietothemax wrote: Agree with these sections of your comment. That is why i was not jubilant about Korda. He is linked to the entire ancien regime.
This is unacceptable.
Crap. Buckley said Treloar needed to be traded because his teammates didn’t want him there anymore. He is A liar, a spin doctor, and a narcissist - and always has been. Buckley was a magnificent footballer and absolutely nothing else.
Pretty good summary
shawthing
Been liked: 56 times

Post by shawthing »

kymbo5@yahoo.com.au wrote:Just reading all these (predictable) posts and wondering is there anyone on this board who actually SUPPORTS Collingwood. Like side by side? Seems to have been hijacked by Carlton supporters.

Can you check this out Mods?
Oh please. This is a tired excuse. Supporters want their club to perform to the best of their ability, otherwise we'd all have barracked for St Kilda! :P
shawthing

Post by shawthing »

think positive wrote:
What'sinaname wrote:
slangman wrote:All you the want Buckley immediately gone, who would be the caretaker coach?

Just think about that for a second.
It allows the club to aggressively pursue a new senior coach without hurting the current coaches feelings.

Just think about that for a second.
not to mention the fear of the club signing him to another 2 years on the sly like last time, who would we want? pretty sure we can offer it to an assistant at another club? im sure there is at least one experienced but not current coach out there who would like the challenge, on a temporary basis.
Don't worry if the club re-signed him again like that we'd barely have 10,000 members left by next year. The AFL would be relocatiing the club to Tasmania.
shawthing

Post by shawthing »

PyreneesPie wrote:Can anyone think of a LONG term successful coach who took over mid- season? Not a loaded question :). Just asking if it's happened in recent times.
Can we bring Barassi out of retirement? God bless you Ron on ANZAC Day.