Post Match. Pies down to Bombers. All comments, please.

Match previews, reviews, reports and discussion.

Moderator: bbmods

PyreneesPie
Has liked: 66 times

Post by PyreneesPie »

Having given it further thought, I reckon having an interim coach is not the way to go. Not wishing to offend, but I think it's a bit of a knee jerk reaction.

For starters, it would mean that the players would be exposed to three different coaches in twelve months, which would be extremely unsettling and a bit of a shamozzle across the whole club.

Secondly, assistant coaches would probably have to be replaced mid-stream as well, because what would be the point of starting someone new and having them work with the old brigade. Too much of an ask to do in a hurry.

I agree with most here that the process of selecting a new coach should start now, but it should be an exacting and exhaustive process. Presumably, a new coach would want their own coaching panel, so there would need to be a search conducted for them as well. If it is done properly, selecting a new coach and accompanying coaching team has to be given the required, sufficient time. Hopefully, then they would be able to slide into place fairly quickly after season's end.

I have a feeling that Bucks knows his end is coming and is possibly even a bit relieved about that. His countenance is looking far more relaxed in recent weeks. Maybe he's already been told that his time is nearly up.

He has shown that he is willing to start a rebuild, by trying players in different positions (Madgen on the wing, Daics in the centre, Darcy at full forward). He has started blooding the youngsters.
He knows the strengths and weaknesses of the present squad better than anyone else who might come in at a moment's notice.
Contrary to what some may think, Bucks has a wealth of football knowledge and experience and would I believe still use all of that to the best of his ability to mentor and develop the young ones. He would be mindful of leaving the best legacy he could, if only for his own sake to be able to look back at his tenure at Collingwood with some satisfaction.

If we as supporters can accept that the season is going to be painful and ride the bumps without getting drawn into hysterical over-kill, the long term interests of the club would be better served IMHO.
slangman
Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 9 times

Post by slangman »

What happened last year and beyond is done and cannot be changed.

The issue we currently have and need rectifying is the output of our higher paid players.

We are up there as the club who gets the least amount of value from the top money earners.

We can’t expect Cameron, McCreery, IQ, Daicos etc to carry the team. They are still learning the game.
It’s the senior players on good coin that are letting us down with some giving not much more than half ar*ed efforts on too regular a basis.
Pendlebury is nearing the end but still gives a solid effort most weeks.....others need to have a good hard think about how their lacklustre contributions are negatively impacting the side.
- Side By Side -
Cam
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 22 times

Post by Cam »

MatthewBoydFanClub wrote:Stephenson whose only crime is he has an immature personality.
Um, not what I've heard. Why do you think North were the only suitors?
Get back on top.
Magpietothemax
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 15 times

Post by Magpietothemax »

shawthing wrote:
PyreneesPie wrote:Can anyone think of a LONG term successful coach who took over mid- season? Not a loaded question :). Just asking if it's happened in recent times.
Can we bring Barassi out of retirement? God bless you Ron on ANZAC Day.
Would rather bring Leigh Matthews out of retirement....
Having said that...we need a truly modern coach, who understands the contemporary game...That is why we should be casting our eye over available assistant coaches...and especially those from successful teams, who can bring across their knowledge.
Free Julian Assange!!
Ice in the veins
Magpietothemax

Post by Magpietothemax »

PyreneesPie wrote:Having given it further thought, I reckon having an interim coach is not the way to go. Not wishing to offend, but I think it's a bit of a knee jerk reaction.

For starters, it would mean that the players would be exposed to three different coaches in twelve months, which would be extremely unsettling and a bit of a shamozzle across the whole club.

Secondly, assistant coaches would probably have to be replaced mid-stream as well, because what would be the point of starting someone new and having them work with the old brigade. Too much of an ask to do in a hurry.

I agree with most here that the process of selecting a new coach should start now, but it should be an exacting and exhaustive process. Presumably, a new coach would want their own coaching panel, so there would need to be a search conducted for them as well. If it is done properly, selecting a new coach and accompanying coaching team has to be given the required, sufficient time. Hopefully, then they would be able to slide into place fairly quickly after season's end.

I have a feeling that Bucks knows his end is coming and is possibly even a bit relieved about that. His countenance is looking far more relaxed in recent weeks. Maybe he's already been told that his time is nearly up.

He has shown that he is willing to start a rebuild, by trying players in different positions (Madgen on the wing, Daics in the centre, Darcy at full forward). He has started blooding the youngsters.
He knows the strengths and weaknesses of the present squad better than anyone else who might come in at a moment's notice.
Contrary to what some may think, Bucks has a wealth of football knowledge and experience and would I believe still use all of that to the best of his ability to mentor and develop the young ones. He would be mindful of leaving the best legacy he could, if only for his own sake to be able to look back at his tenure at Collingwood with some satisfaction.

If we as supporters can accept that the season is going to be painful and ride the bumps without getting drawn into hysterical over-kill, the long term interests of the club would be better served IMHO.
Agree, Interim coach is not the way to go, because we could never get a quality one anyway on a short term basis. We need to start the process for appointing our new coach. And it should start now.
And, if we find the right man, he should be appointed on a 3 year deal.
...whether we find him round 7 or round 15. We cant attract the best unless we offer that, and we should not wait until season;s end.
Free Julian Assange!!
Ice in the veins
PyreneesPie
Has liked: 66 times

Post by PyreneesPie »

Magpietothemax wrote:. We should not wait until season;s end. What is the point of that??Bux is our caretaker coach right now.
This is the perspective we need to take I reckon MTTM. As far as caretaker coaches go, I don't think Bucks is such a bad one. :wink:
sourav04

Post by sourav04 »

So Stephenson had all these issues that everyone knew about including North Melbourne but they chose to ignore the issues? Why’s that? And don’t say because they are a bigger basket case club than us as I am not sure that’s the case right now.
Cruisinwithdids

Post by Cruisinwithdids »

The most important thing that the Collingwood football club need to do now is finally tell the members and supporters the truth. The Buckley appointment has destroyed the club’s last decade. This stupid jobs for mates shit is an outdated stain on this club and should never be repeated. The club has no draft picks left due to incompetence. This will take some years to fix. Tell the members. Own up. Sack Buckley now. No send off, just show him the door.
The Boy Who Cried Wolf

Post by The Boy Who Cried Wolf »

Cruisinwithdids wrote:The most important thing that the Collingwood football club need to do now is finally tell the members and supporters the truth. The Buckley appointment has destroyed the club’s last decade. This stupid jobs for mates shit is an outdated stain on this club and should never be repeated. The club has no draft picks left due to incompetence. This will take some years to fix. Tell the members. Own up. Sack Buckley now. No send off, just show him the door.
THIS
All Aboard!! Choo Choo!!!
Jezza
Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 191 times

Post by Jezza »

Buckley's time is up and it's just a matter of waiting now. I think if we lost to Gold Coast and North Melbourne, the club will pull the pin immediately.

The club won't get fresh air until his future is clarified, whether the club says he's getting a renewal but they give him the rest of the year to play youth and see out his contract, or we cut ties instantly.

The last decade will be seen as a "failure" for all intents and purposes. The succession plan will be viewed as a short-term success with the impacts it had in 2010 but a medium to long-term failure. It had its moments and glimpses, but it's been a long grind for much of it.

Positives

• Cameron hit the scoreboard and was actually a decent forward option.
• McCreery has some flair and aggression about him that stands out and he can kick. A lot of Buckley's teams have been "vanilla" over the past decade so it makes for a change.
• Quaynor's development is coming along nicely. I think moving him up to the midfield should be contemplated.
• Murphy didn't look out of place. Better we persist with him than revert back to Mayne.

Negatives

• Played well for the first ten minutes, and then looked second best for the rest of the game. I felt the scoreline flattered us for a lot of the game.
• We don't know how to stick tackles.
• Game plan is mundane and predictable. Zone defences are no longer fashionable, and Buckley hasn't adjusted to it.
• We're now officially a bottom 2 team, and we have no 1st round draft pick at the end of it. At least we have Nick Daicos to look forward to.

It's going to be a hard year. Certainly the worst I've seen since 2004/05. Fast tracking the development of our young players and preparing for a future post-Buckley should be the main priority of the club this year.
Last edited by Jezza on Sun Apr 25, 2021 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
🏆 | 1902 | 1903 | 1910 | 1917 | 1919 | 1927 | 1928 | 1929 | 1930 | 1935 | 1936 | 1953 | 1958 | 1990 | 2010 | 2023 | 🏆
Magpietothemax

Post by Magpietothemax »

The Boy Who Cried Wolf wrote:
Cruisinwithdids wrote:The most important thing that the Collingwood football club need to do now is finally tell the members and supporters the truth. The Buckley appointment has destroyed the club’s last decade. This stupid jobs for mates shit is an outdated stain on this club and should never be repeated. The club has no draft picks left due to incompetence. This will take some years to fix. Tell the members. Own up. Sack Buckley now. No send off, just show him the door.
THIS
Agree that this must be said. But the timing must be right. We need right now to feel out for assistant coaches across the AFL who are interested in taking over as coach of Collingwood. We need to find the coach we want before we remove Bux. If we do this discreetly, and prevent media bombshells from erupting across the airwaves, then maybe we can suss out who should be our next coach, Showing him the door in a frenzy of anger and frustration would repel the candidates that we need.
Free Julian Assange!!
Ice in the veins
Pies4shaw
Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 87 times

Post by Pies4shaw »

Cameron played a fine game. 3 goals (should have been 4), 22 disposals (15 kicks, 7 handballs), 10 marks (4 contested), 3 clearances, 3 inside 50s, 7 score involvements, 12 contested possessions, 9 hitouts (2 to advantage).
Magpietothemax

Post by Magpietothemax »

Pies4shaw wrote:Cameron played a fine game. 3 goals (should have been 4), 22 disposals (15 kicks, 7 handballs), 10 marks (4 contested), 3 clearances, 3 inside 50s, 7 score involvements, 12 contested possessions, 9 hitouts (2 to advantage).
Yeah, I agree. Well done to him. he knew many of us thought Cox should be there instead, and stepped up to the occasion.
Free Julian Assange!!
Ice in the veins
watt price tully

Post by watt price tully »

PyreneesPie wrote:Having given it further thought, I reckon having an interim coach is not the way to go. Not wishing to offend, but I think it's a bit of a knee jerk reaction.

I agree. In the beginning I wanted Malthouse to stay. Bucks became our coach so as a supporter you end up supporting the coach. He stayed a few years too long. Of course one missed free kick in 2018 cost us a premiership: so close.

Bucks doesn’t sign the contracts for players: other parts of the footy department are responsible. Bucks doesn’t do the list management per se, others do.

However the time seems to have come.

In reactive anger post a loss and post a miserable start to the season it’s easy to slag everyone and anyone and say the coach has to go. As you correctly identified who do you replace him with in April?

We have Elliot, DeGoey, Howe and Adams out. We made 5 changes. We played a team that are slick in their ball movement and after bottoming out and trading well have got themselves a decent team.

It doesn’t take too much to turn things around but we’ll be struggling for the short term at least.

Graham Wright has a huge job on his hands. May he decide wisely.
“I even went as far as becoming a Southern Baptist until I realised they didn’t keep ‘em under long enough” Kinky Friedman
watt price tully

Post by watt price tully »

Pies4shaw wrote:Cameron played a fine game. 3 goals (should have been 4), 22 disposals (15 kicks, 7 handballs), 10 marks (4 contested), 3 clearances, 3 inside 50s, 7 score involvements, 12 contested possessions, 9 hitouts (2 to advantage).
Yep, the best for us so far. Allowing him to play for a few matches in a row will give him confidence. Well done him.
“I even went as far as becoming a Southern Baptist until I realised they didn’t keep ‘em under long enough” Kinky Friedman