Post Match. Pies down to Bombers. All comments, please.

Match previews, reviews, reports and discussion.

Moderator: bbmods

JC Hartley

Post by JC Hartley »

In a season-defining contest on Anzac Day, Collingwood started the game like a freight train with the first three goals, before relinquishing control of the match against Essendon to fail by 24 points. Whenever the Magpies challenged for the lead or had a small lead early in the last quarter, the Bombers were able to answer with telling goals when they were needed to be kicked. Collingwood's disposal efficiency, especially by foot, was severely lacking accuracy and direction, while the engine room (midfield division) for the Woods failed to win the ball from stoppages consistently which allowed the ball magnets from the Bombers to control the ball and maintain possession in a much more constant and reliable manner. That style of footy enabled Essendon much more effectiveness and potency on the scoreboard where it ultimately counted.

Collingwood won their statistical categories from handballs by +13 (156 - 143), hit-outs were won by +18 (49 - 31), +14 for contested possessions (140 - 126), and stoppage clearances had a differential of +4 (25 - 21). Essendon gained dominance from categories such as disposals by +19 (375 - 356), +32 for kicks (232 - 200), uncontested possessions were won by +39 (250 - 211), clearances had a margin of +1 ( 39 - 38 ), while centre clearances had a differential of +5 (18 - 13). Uncontested marks had an advantage of +29 (101 - 72), with Contested Marks up by +4 (13 - 9), and Marks Inside 50 were won by +1 ( 9 - 8 ). Intercept possessions were won by +8 (67 - 59), +30 for tackles (86 - 56), with Tackles Inside 50 won by +10 (21 - 11), and Inside 50s had a margin of +11 (54 - 43).

Scott Pendlebury (30 disposals @ 67%, 435 metres gained, 8 contested possessions, 22 uncontested possessions, 3 intercept possessions, 16 kicks, 14 handballs, 3 marks, 2 tackles, 3 goal assists, 11 score involvements, 5 clearances, 4 stoppage clearances & 4 Inside 50s) had an excellent first half with a high degree of creativity from the midfield resulting in goals. Stayed busy after half time to get involved in further scoring chains, although he was not able to create as many goals as he did in the first two quarters. Keep leading by example, Scott.

Steele Sidebottom (30 disposals @ 50%, 374 metres gained, 17 contested possessions, 13 uncontested possessions, 3 intercept possessions, 18 kicks, 12 handballs, 3 marks, 12 tackles, 2 Tackles Inside 50, 5 score involvements, 9 clearances, 4 centre clearances, 5 stoppage clearances & 6 Inside 50s) won plenty of possessions, but failed to use the ball well where he had 10 turnovers which let the team down. Make an emphasis on finding time and space to play on to hit targets, Steele. Kicking casually when the ball is stagnant or after a mark is taken may not suit you or the team going forward.

Josh Daicos (26 disposals @ 65%, 209 metres gained, 11 contested possessions, 15 uncontested possessions, 3 intercept possessions, 9 kicks, 17 handballs, 2 marks, 3 tackles, 4 score involvements, 7 clearances, 3 centre clearances & 4 stoppage clearances) thrived in the midfield where he won the contested ball and clearances with high regularity. Daicos needs to find a way to make those disposals impactful during May.

Brodie Grundy (19 disposals @ 47%, 199 metres gained, 17 contested possessions, 2 uncontested possessions, 2 intercept possessions, 40 hit-outs, 12 kicks, 7 handballs, 7 tackles, 2 Tackles Inside 50, 10 score involvements, 4 clearances, 3 stoppage clearances, 3 Inside 50s & 1 goal) continues to have no issues getting hit-outs, and usually has no dramas winning the ball at ground level. I would like Grundy to be more effective with his ball use, and take more marks, where he might score goals.

Jack Crisp (30 disposals @ 87%, 583 metres gained, 4 contested possessions, 26 uncontested possessions, 4 intercept possessions, 14 kicks, 16 handballs, 5 marks, 3 tackles, 1 goal assist, 4 score involvements, 3 Inside 50s, 6 Rebound 50s & 1 goal) provided drive off half-back and maintained possession nicely when most of his teammates were not able to hit targets.

Isaac Quaynor (21 disposals @ 81%, 489 metres gained, 5 contested possessions, 16 uncontested possessions, 7 intercept possessions, 18 kicks, 3 handballs, 5 marks, 2 tackles, 3 score involvements, 2 Inside 50s & 4 Rebound 50s) displayed dare, excitement and flamboyance in an eye-catching performance.

John Noble (17 disposals @ 82%, 170 metres gained, 4 contested possessions, 13 uncontested possessions, 2 intercept possessions, 9 kicks, 8 handballs, 6 marks, 6 tackles & 4 Rebound 50s) continued to display composure under pressure by finding targets with high regularity.

Darcy Cameron (22 disposals @ 68%, 400 metres gained, 12 contested possessions, 10 uncontested possessions, 2 intercept possessions, 9 hit-outs, 15 kicks, 7 handballs, 10 marks, 4 Contested Marks, 3 Marks Inside 50, 7 score involvements, 3 clearances, 3 stoppage clearances, 3 Inside 50s & 3 goals) played his best game for the club by a country mile, although he would want his set shot back in the third term where he kicked a behind directly in front of goal that took the air out of the balloon.

Will Hoskin-Elliott (18 disposals @ 50%, 366 metres gained, 6 contested possessions, 12 uncontested possessions, 3 intercept possessions, 14 kicks, 4 handballs, 9 marks, 3 tackles, 3 score involvements, 4 Inside 50s, 2 Rebound 50s & 1 goal) found a bit of touch by marking the ball consistently, but that was all he did well, as everything else went to water and by the wayside.

Beau McCreery (6 disposals @ 67%, 195 metres gained, 2 contested possessions, 4 uncontested possessions, 5 kicks, 3 tackles, 2 Tackles Inside 50, 4 score involvements, 3 Inside 50s & 3 goals) made the most of his limited opportunities in a promising start to his career at AFL level.

Brody Mihocek (6 disposals @ 67%, 229 metres gained, 3 contested possessions, 3 uncontested possessions, 6 kicks, 4 marks, 2 Marks Inside 50, 1 goal assist, 6 score involvements, 3 Inside 50s & 1 goal) was non-existent in the first two quarters, before having an impact in the second half, which included a team-lifting goal at the start of the last quarter, before all momentum was lost after that had occurred.

Collingwood's next game will be against Gold Coast Suns on May 1 at the MCG. After a horror month without any victories, it is now time to get some wins on the board. Start the month of May on a high for everybody concerned at the Magpies.
JC Hartley
watt price tully

Post by watt price tully »

^ Great report JC Hartley. The disposal efficiency and play of Noble and Quaynor is impressive to read and confirms what we saw today. A lot to like about McCreery and Daicos needs to be in the centre clearances more often.
“I even went as far as becoming a Southern Baptist until I realised they didn’t keep ‘em under long enough” Kinky Friedman
Jezza
Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 191 times

Post by Jezza »

^ Thought Quaynor was very good. Been happy with his development so far and I think we should contemplate giving him some time in the middle.
🏆 | 1902 | 1903 | 1910 | 1917 | 1919 | 1927 | 1928 | 1929 | 1930 | 1935 | 1936 | 1953 | 1958 | 1990 | 2010 | 2023 | 🏆
DT
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 6 times

Post by DT »

1999 Shaw selflessly coaches for the future. McGuire goes out and hires Malthouse, probably the best coach at the time and immediately we have a plan.

Then McGuire commits a cardinal error by appointing a former captain in 2012. Now he we are richer than 1999 but with some serious problems, not all of which are Buckey’s fault. But he is a boring coach and we need a fresh voice.

If the club is ambitious it needs to find a new coach (risky as unknown) or go and get a gun - Alistair Clarkson. Funny that we recruited Graham Wright recently. Is he the scout that will tell Clarko whether we can be turned around to become a good team in 2024?

The recruiting department needs to be refreshed too and who was accountable for the salary cap implosion?

The club is a mess on the field but once we get the right people in things can turn around quickly.

As for a caretaker, it depends on what progress we make by round 12. It may become necessary if the wheels fall off.
Daicos, impossible angle ... Goal!
qldmagpie67
Been liked: 78 times

Post by qldmagpie67 »

Pies4shaw wrote:
qldmagpie67 wrote:P4S made his usual defence of Sidey ....
You need to stop misrepresenting my posts. The point I made was that he was played out of position in a role to which he is not suited and evidenced that by the heavy workload he had in tackling and contested possessions. He is not an inside midfielder and, seriously, he isn't the first bloke you'd want trying to lay tackles on opposition mids. It's not appropriate for people to be getting stuck into him for not being able to play that role. It's not an obscure point that I was making. He's probably close to finished, as is Pendlebury - that shouldn't surprise anyone, since they have played nearly 600 games of AFL between them in the worst wear and tear midfield game-plan I have ever seen. There is, at the moment, no-one else and no-one helping.

As for your drivel about Grundy, you might comment on the fact that he had 10 score involvements (for Collingwood, only Pendlebury had more, with 11 - and no Essendon player had so many) and he launched 9 scoring drives. The next nearest on the ground was 4.
You’ll defend Sidey playing out of position but you’ve hobby of belittling Treloar for playing as a inside mid when he’s clearly a outside mid
It’s called double standards mate
Treloar was your pet peeve for whatever reason he could 30 touches and you would highlight 6/8 bad ones he had
Sidey can have 30 touches with 10 turnovers 4 clangers and 2 out of bounds and you’ll highlight his tackles and clearances

My point about Grundy was how hit outs are a completely useless stat
We could win them every week (which we often do) yet it doesn’t equate so wins the way the game is played these days
qldmagpie67
Been liked: 78 times

Post by qldmagpie67 »

Pies4shaw wrote:
You need to stop misrepresenting my posts. The point I made was that he was played out of position in a role to which he is not suited and evidenced that by the heavy workload he had in tackling and contested possessions. He is not an inside midfielder and, seriously, he isn't the first bloke you'd want trying to lay tackles on opposition mids. It's not appropriate for people to be getting stuck into him for not being able to play that role. It's not an obscure point that I was making. He's probably close to finished, as is Pendlebury - that shouldn't surprise anyone, since they have played nearly 600 games of AFL between them in the worst wear and tear midfield game-plan I have ever seen. There is, at the moment, no-one else and no-one helping.

As for your drivel about Grundy, you might comment on the fact that he had 10 score involvements (for Collingwood, only Pendlebury had more, with 11 - and no Essendon player had so many) and he launched 9 scoring drives. The next nearest on the ground was 4.
You’ll defend Sidey playing out of position but you’ve hobby of belittling Treloar for playing as a inside mid when he’s clearly a outside mid
Treloar was your pet peeve for whatever reason he could 30 touches and you would highlight 6/8 bad ones he had
Sidey can have 30 touches with 10 turnovers 4 clangers and 2 out of bounds and you’ll highlight his tackles and clearances

We could win them every week (which we often do) yet it doesn’t equate so wins the way the game is played these days
think positive
Has liked: 212 times
Been liked: 85 times

Post by think positive »

DT wrote:1999 Shaw selflessly coaches for the future. McGuire goes out and hires Malthouse, probably the best coach at the time and immediately we have a plan.

Then McGuire commits a cardinal error by appointing a former captain in 2012. Now he we are richer than 1999 but with some serious problems, not all of which are Buckey’s fault. But he is a boring coach and we need a fresh voice.

If the club is ambitious it needs to find a new coach (risky as unknown) or go and get a gun - Alistair Clarkson. Funny that we recruited Graham Wright recently. Is he the scout that will tell Clarko whether we can be turned around to become a good team in 2024?

The recruiting department needs to be refreshed too and who was accountable for the salary cap implosion?

The club is a mess on the field but once we get the right people in things can turn around quickly.

As for a caretaker, it depends on what progress we make by round 12. It may become necessary if the wheels fall off.
agree with most, love the clarkson bit! lets hope!!!
but the wheels, not if, they have not just come off, they rolled down the hill and off the cliff at the end of the street!!
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
Magpietothemax
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 15 times

Post by Magpietothemax »

qldmagpie67 wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote:

Agree Qld.
Treloar was played totally out of position when he was with us.
just like Sidey is now.
Due to two factors as far as I can see: terrible coaching and terrible list management. No one gets to play where they should as a result.
A tragedy for us.
A point of humour for those who hate us.
Free Julian Assange!!
Ice in the veins
Magpietothemax
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 15 times

Post by Magpietothemax »

In the current debate, I think P4S is right and wrong. Right about Sidey currently being played in the wrong position. Wrong about Treloar being a "dud we needed to get rid of".
As for his love for Grundy: this is still time out. Grundy is a wonderful player, but he still needs to prove that he is worth the money we have spent on him more consistently.
Free Julian Assange!!
Ice in the veins
Jezza
Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 191 times

Post by Jezza »

DT wrote:1999 Shaw selflessly coaches for the future. McGuire goes out and hires Malthouse, probably the best coach at the time and immediately we have a plan.

Good summary of the past decade and what needs to be done to turn it around.

Sadly for McGuire, his legacy will be tarnished by what happened in the second half of his presidency. The first half of his presidency was almost flawless in comparison.

It won't hurt asking the question to Clarkson. If he says "no", at least we won't have any regrets and we can look elsewhere.

Just on a gut feel I think our next coach will be an assistant from another club with Mitchell and Kingsley standing out among the pack. Although, I wouldn't dismiss someone like Lyon or Pyke if the process says they're the right person for the job. As long as we do our due diligence and go through the proper process, I'll get behind whoever comes in.

Finally, I agree things can turnaround quickly if some good decisions are made in big areas. It's always darkest before dawn as the years below show.

1976 = 1977-1981 (Hafey years)
1982 = Made a Prelim two years later, although this period was rife with a lot of turmoil behind the scenes so the highlights were few and far between until '88.
1987 = 1990 flag three years later with a good core of youth coming through the under 19s in the late 80s under Matthews.
1998-2000 = 2002-2003 back-to-back Grand Finals.
2004-2005 = Sustained success from 2006-2013, with a flag in 2010.
2021- = ?

Didn't include 2014-2017 as we didn't finish bottom 4 in those seasons and the worst year still accumulated 9 wins. It was just a very stagnant period for the club.
🏆 | 1902 | 1903 | 1910 | 1917 | 1919 | 1927 | 1928 | 1929 | 1930 | 1935 | 1936 | 1953 | 1958 | 1990 | 2010 | 2023 | 🏆
Raw Hammer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Raw Hammer »

I actually think Buckley is a borderline mental case.

He genuinely thinks any player can play a ‘role’. He’s a buffoon. His decade-long beige forward line proves this. He needs to go ASAP.

We are the most boring club to watch and have been for his entire tenure.
Est. 2002
Cruisinwithdids

Post by Cruisinwithdids »

PyreneesPie wrote:
Magpietothemax wrote: Agree that this must be said. But the timing must be right. We need right now to feel out for assistant coaches across the AFL who are interested in taking over as coach of Collingwood. We need to find the coach we want before we remove Bux. If we do this discreetly, and prevent media bombshells from erupting across the airwaves, then maybe we can suss out who should be our next coach, Showing him the door in a frenzy of anger and frustration would repel the candidates that we need.
Really well said MTTM.

For a start, all other coaches/assistant coaches already know that the club has failed at its list management and that there's nothing on the horizon except for Nick Daicos. (Interestingly enough, the crew on First Crack suggested that some really big names need to be traded at the end of the season to get back into the draft......but not Pendles).

But I digress..... perspective coaches will want to get a fair idea of what they'd be getting into and would prefer I'm sure to have a fair junk of the season pan out as calmly as possible, in order to judge this accurately. It's doubtful this could be ascertained with a rashly appointed interim coach.

Secondly, it's pretty obvious that we are not a particularly stable club at the moment. Wright and Korda have already disagreed over the airwaves. There would need to be obvious progress with the Do Better report. Shoving Bucks unceremoniously out the door would only heighten the perception of a club in crisis. What person of real merit would want to walk into a high profile club on that basis?
it’s not a ‘perception’. The club is in crisis. Where we are at is where we are at and we need to come to terms with that in order to fix it. Ceremony is the last thing required. The damage has been done and the constant defence of Buckley via media spin has exhausted the club. The point I’d really like to make is that Buckley & Collingwood need an extensive time apart now in order for both to move on.
neil
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 21 times

Post by neil »

Buckleys last year unless a miracle happens
There is no point sacking him appoint a fill in coach and replace them at the end of the year.

How about forming a group to look at the replacement and do it professionally. The talk of no-one wanting to coach Collingwood is total BS every team gets coaches and more apply than get picked

Sack the coach, we are in crisis, we have no depth, dont help and going forward a less emotional discussion needs to take place.

FFS Phillips is now a absolute gun who should never have been traded our problem is the midfield not the dysfunctional forward line
Carlscum 120 years being cheating scum
What'sinaname
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 9 times

Post by What'sinaname »

Magpietothemax wrote:
The Boy Who Cried Wolf wrote:Hocking would jump at the chance... and not that I think we should do this (it's a bit like living with your ex till you can find a new home) but would Bucks even want to coach until the end of the season if he was flat out told today he was finished. It's not healthy.
Ok...well maybe put feelers out in that direction...but if i was he... I would feel very angry about how I had been treated... and would demand conditions for a return...
I think we start our hunt for our new coach now...
And be willing to appoint him any time during the season for 3 years...
Only way we can attract quality...
If Buddha is willing to be a placeholder... then go for it.
Not sure rookie head coaches are really in a position to demand conditions.

And hard to blame the club that COVID and isolation lead to clubs having to trim their coaching staff.
barrackers

Post by barrackers »

Not sure Cox's papers are stamped; if they are they shouldn't be despite Cameron's game. Cox would have offered more than Moore and Kelly inside our 50 against the bombers. While it's questionable if Cameron would have got the same amount of delivery with Cox being a larger presence, but with the way the season is going there's nothing to risk by trying it.