Post Match. Pies down to Bombers. All comments, please.

Match previews, reviews, reports and discussion.

Moderator: bbmods

slangman
Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 9 times

Post by slangman »

Jezza wrote:Zone defences are no longer fashionable, and Buckley hasn't adjusted to it.
Jezza you have absolutely nailed the fundamental issue with the gameplan.
Our inability/reluctance to man up across our F50 (this is a coaching instruction) is not in line with where the game is at now.
The current defensive style is to go man on man in the F50 particularly pressuring the “outlet” players who hover wide within the oppositions D50.
This high pressure tactic is a major reason why we struggle to move the ball freely out of our D50 and conversely the major reason why opposition teams are able to move the ball with continual uncontested possessions.

It is also explains why we seems to have to work harder than the opposition to score goals.
- Side By Side -
MatthewBoydFanClub
Been liked: 1 time

Post by MatthewBoydFanClub »

barrackers wrote:Not sure Cox's papers are stamped; if they are they shouldn't be despite Cameron's game. Cox would have offered more than Moore and Kelly inside our 50 against the bombers. While it's questionable if Cameron would have got the same amount of delivery with Cox being a larger presence, but with the way the season is going there's nothing to risk by trying it.
Moore and Kelly were fine. They can both play at either end of the ground. If the delivery isn’t there it’s not there. You can’t blame them. Elite sport is about taking your opportunities, not being a flash in the pan. When you see Mason drop simple marks the only conclusion you can draw is his papers are stamped, especially when you see someone out there performing his job better.
MatthewBoydFanClub

Post by MatthewBoydFanClub »

neil wrote:Buckleys last year unless a miracle happens
There is no point sacking him appoint a fill in coach and replace them at the end of the year.

How about forming a group to look at the replacement and do it professionally. The talk of no-one wanting to coach Collingwood is total BS every team gets coaches and more apply than get picked

Sack the coach, we are in crisis, we have no depth, dont help and going forward a less emotional discussion needs to take place.

FFS Phillips is now a absolute gun who should never have been traded our problem is the midfield not the dysfunctional forward line
You’ve hit the nail on the head. You don’t solve your midfield problems by trading Treloar to the Western Bulldogs. You don’t solve your midfield problems by moving a guy who can’t get a kick in the forward line into the centre of the ground. You don’t solve your midfield problems by playing two potentially young gun midfielders in MaCrae and Rantall and then not playing them in the middle. Daicos played a great game yesterday but he’s basically a spare parts man. He won’t solve our long term midfield problems. Only by playing players like MaCrae, Rantall in the middle and McInnes and Nick Daicos coming through are we going to start winning again. For too long you look at the composition of the term and you wonder why certain players are still getting a game, while others are being played out of position. The coach has to own that.
RudeBoy
Been liked: 73 times

Post by RudeBoy »

With all the talk about sacking Bucks, surely it's time we got a new recruiter. Seriously, we lack quality players. We have too many who try hard, but are average at best. Derek Hines, it's time to go.

Watching our midget midfield brigade, it was no surprise we got smashed there, apart from the first few minutes.

All we can do now is play even more kids, and prepare them for next year, or realistically, 2023. Bring in Chugg to play in defence and move Quaynor to the midfield. Play Poulter on a wing.

When Howe returns, drop Madgen, who is way too slow.

I'm not convinced Kelly has much to offer, but we must persevere with him. Rantall, Macrae and McCreery all have big futures.

It's going to be a shit year, and Bucks will probably cop the blame and pay for it with his job. Such is life. I for one believe the Board and list management are primarily responsible for the Treloar/Stephenson/Phillips debacle, which would have destroyed the esprit de corp amongst our playing group. Side by side means shit.

The recruiting/drafting of Scharenberg, Freeman, Aish, Wells, Mayne, Stephenson and Beams have all been utter failures and set us back a decade.

If we do get a new coach, I hope it's Chocco Williams. We need a lunatic to shake up the asylum.
qldmagpie67
Been liked: 78 times

Post by qldmagpie67 »

RudeBoy wrote:With all the talk about sacking Bucks, surely it's time we got a new recruiter. Seriously, we lack quality players. We have too many who try hard, but are average at best. Derek Hines, it's time to go.

Watching our midget midfield brigade, it was no surprise we got smashed there, apart from the first few minutes.

All we can do now is play even more kids, and prepare them for next year, or realistically, 2023. Bring in Chugg to play in defence and move Quaynor to the midfield. Play Poulter on a wing.

When Howe returns, drop Madgen, who is way too slow.

I'm not convinced Kelly has much to offer, but we must persevere with him. Rantall, Macrae and McCreery all have big futures.

It's going to be a shit year, and Bucks will probably cop the blame and pay for it with his job. Such is life. I for one believe the Board and list management are primarily responsible for the Treloar/Stephenson/Phillips debacle, which would have destroyed the esprit de corp amongst our playing group. Side by side means shit.

The recruiting/drafting of Scharenberg, Freeman, Aish, Wells, Mayne, Stephenson and Beams have all been utter failures and set us back a decade.

If we do get a new coach, I hope it's Chocco Williams. We need a lunatic to shake up the asylum.
Rude exactly the recruiters and cap managers are more responsible for this than the coach but at the end of the day its a results driven business and he isn't getting results
The Scharenberg Freeman draft hurt. Who would have thought you could draft 2 players in the top 10 and have them both barely play and retire early with injuries
To think at pick 5 (1 pick ahead of where we grabbed Scharenberg) sat the Bont
Wells and Mayne were bad decisions
Aish we thoguht we could do something with. He played a few decent games but was far to inconsistent
Beams was a gamble which failed. I am a Beams supporter but it was always a gamble really

Our inability to draft well has hurt
Redcraze

Post by Redcraze »

Pies2016 wrote:Since it’s a post game thread, I thought Roughead was close to our best player today. Didn’t put a foot wrong all day against an in form Hooker.
That’s problematic in itself but it was a commendable performance against the tide.
I Qs sure ball handling is a pleasure to watch. It will be interesting to see if a new set of eyes gives him some mid field time next year.
Cameron played his best game for the club, which hopefully will give him a bit of confidence in the weeks to come. It’s never easy knowing your only one game away from being dropped again.
Murphy was pretty good. Goes hard and uses the ball well. Doesn’t bite off more than he can chew, which is something Maynard could learn.
McCreery continues to look likely. He doesnt need much of it to impact the scoreboard.

Apologies if I’ve offended anyone with a positive post.
A sensible and constructive post!
The future is hidden from all men, and the greatest football matches hang on the smallest chances. - Demosthenes
Pies2016
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 87 times

Post by Pies2016 »

So that poses the question, is it better for the kids development ( as opposed to the supporters ) to be played in the seniors and not get a touch or continue to play them in the VFL and allow them to actually hone their skills. I’m all for promoting kids on the back of solid VFL form but if you aren’t playing well in the VFL, then how can you expect them to fire a shot in the AFL.

The problem with AFL elite junior talent is that they have been great at everything they have done in footy for the last ten years. Place them in an environment where they struggle and it can set some back ( not all ) I will say this one more time, selecting juniors that are out of their depth is a delicate balancing act. For every one that embraces it, the development of another can be impacted negatively.
Just a note on McInnes - he was probably the youngest player selected in the draft. He qualified by two weeks. In some instances, he is almost a year younger than other draftees selected. To expose him against men before he dominates the VFL would be nothing short of irresponsible.
Gary Player “ the harder I practice, the luckier I get “
Pies2016
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 87 times

Post by Pies2016 »

slangman wrote:
Jezza wrote:Zone defences are no longer fashionable, and Buckley hasn't adjusted to it.
Jezza you have absolutely nailed the fundamental issue with the gameplan.
Our inability/reluctance to man up across our F50 (this is a coaching instruction) is not in line with where the game is at now.
The current defensive style is to go man on man in the F50 particularly pressuring the “outlet” players who hover wide within the oppositions D50.
This high pressure tactic is a major reason why we struggle to move the ball freely out of our D50 and conversely the major reason why opposition teams are able to move the ball with continual uncontested possessions.

It is also explains why we seems to have to work harder than the opposition to score goals.
When you’re 17th in the comp for possession differential ( and it won’t be any better after the bombers game either ) then no structure or system is going to help.
There isn’t a game plan yet that has proved successful without having the ball in the first place. Not only do we not win the ball enough but we turn it over when we do eventually have some control.
I get the one on one vs zone discussion and I tend to agree but until we start winning more of the ball, no game plan is going to improve the situation we find ourselves in.
orie

pies go down to bombers

Post by orie »

I have always loved Buckley. He was a wonderful kick and fierce competitor., Completely professional in his approach to playing ,a great leader who carried the team through those horrendous year.

How is it that he is coaching a team with players who have such poor kicking skills and lack of tenacity at the ball and player?
Where does his responsibility lie there? He can't kick the damn ball for them.
Whats happened to Maynard?
He used to be our tough guy!
Grundy.. If you are on the backline going up against a tall forward, PUNCH the ball away and don't grab the ball out of the ruck if you can't be productive with a kick. Just belt the ball forward.
I would play him up forward.
And as for Sidey, I am soo sick of him butchering the ball.
for me, just put him in the forward pocket and hope he can kick a couple of goals.
I love watching Quaynor. So composed and great ball use. WHE should not be in the side either. I Better stop now..

Maybe this is Bucks game plan because he doesn't have the players to try any other. He can't charge forward frantically because we turn the ball over so much, it would be even worse.

Lets face it, we don't have the cattle. Shocking recruiting and our off season must be affecting team morale. So sad and angry at all that has happened.
'MADE IT LEGENDARY'
5 from the wing on debut

Post by 5 from the wing on debut »

neil wrote:Buckleys last year unless a miracle happens
There is no point sacking him appoint a fill in coach and replace them at the end of the year.

How about forming a group to look at the replacement and do it professionally. The talk of no-one wanting to coach Collingwood is total BS every team gets coaches and more apply than get picked

Sack the coach, we are in crisis, we have no depth, dont help and going forward a less emotional discussion needs to take place.

FFS Phillips is now a absolute gun who should never have been traded our problem is the midfield not the dysfunctional forward line
I didn't understand what occurred with Phillips last year.
It almost seemed to me to be incredible that such an aerobic athlete would be taken away from the wing where he was well established and plonked in the forward line, in a position that did not suit him.
The comment that the emergence of Daicos on a wing forced Buckley's hand is rubbish. There are two wings, and who replaced Phillips there? Mayne? And Madgen this year at times?
Was that a ploy to force Phillips to walk, knowing that cap space had to be found?
I suppose that Phillips just didn't fit the image our club was looking for, not having the requisite sleeve tattoos, stupid haircuts and criminal proceedings pending. All he had going for us was that he was the best wingman at our club, was intelligent, educated and had a social conscience.
MagpieWhisperer35
Been liked: 3 times

Post by MagpieWhisperer35 »

Is Blake Carracella a worthy option as a Head Coach? Or is he happier and more suited to being a top Assistant? Havent really heard his name mentioned so just putting it out there. The club may have someone in mind regardless
Go Pies
Piesnchess
Has liked: 178 times
Been liked: 72 times

Post by Piesnchess »

D P
Last edited by Piesnchess on Mon Apr 26, 2021 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor, but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
Piesnchess

Post by Piesnchess »

Gerry Cooper wrote:
Piesnchess wrote:
The Boy Who Cried Wolf wrote:.. I hate to say trust me.. but trust me, my idea is sound... Buckley is finished. The best thing the club can do is acknowledge that, finish his contract immediately and pay him out... I mean really he should be walking voluntarily if he really was thinking about the clubs best interests.. its way beyond his tenure now and everyone can see that. The club needs fresh air immediately, our win/loss ratio for the rest of the season is actually irrelevant - what's important now is sowing the seeds for future success and that starts with a change. Read my last post as to what we should be actually doing (as I even type this).

Interim coaches dont work mate, look at Rhys Shaw and Teague, they had to get old Worsfold in to help out Teague, what a utter humiliation for Teague, Blues fans are gobsmacked, Let Bucks walk at seasons end, as he said he would if we failed, meanwhiile, get some main players back, and play all our kids play as many as we can. THEN, go after Clarkson or Hodge, and offer either of em the bloody earth or maybe even Brad Scott, just get one of em and rebuild the playing list, it can be done, but its going to take time, :)
I want Buckley gone. I dont want him anywhere near our up and coming players, with his poor player management skills, his failed game plan, his penchant for ruining players by playing them out of position. his poor skills development, and his lack of integrity. The more exposure to Buckley they have, the more work it will be for the new coaches to unpick the damage Buckley has done to them. He needs to be gone asap.

Bullshit, you dont sack a Club legend like that, interim coaches dont work out, how does you know anything about his poor player mangement skills, you know nothing about it, your hatred of him is patently obvious, typical of keyboard warriors on here, and its pretty off really. :o
Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor, but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

SteveH67

Post by SteveH67 »

Where is a our McDonald-Tipungwuti?

Not since the days of Leon Davis, have we had own OUR magical indigenous goal scoring forward.

We are crying out for someone like him.
Social club member 7342 since 2000.
Piesnchess

Re: pies go down to bombers

Post by Piesnchess »

orie wrote:I have always loved Buckley. He was a wonderful kick and fierce competitor., Completely professional in his approach to playing ,a great leader who carried the team through those horrendous year.

How is it that he is coaching a team with players who have such poor kicking skills and lack of tenacity at the ball and player?
Where does his responsibility lie there? He can't kick the damn ball for them.
Whats happened to Maynard?
He used to be our tough guy!
Grundy.. If you are on the backline going up against a tall forward, PUNCH the ball away and don't grab the ball out of the ruck if you can't be productive with a kick. Just belt the ball forward.
I would play him up forward.
And as for Sidey, I am soo sick of him butchering the ball.
for me, just put him in the forward pocket and hope he can kick a couple of goals.
I love watching Quaynor. So composed and great ball use. WHE should not be in the side either. I Better stop now..

Maybe this is Bucks game plan because he doesn't have the players to try any other. He can't charge forward frantically because we turn the ball over so much, it would be even worse.

Lets face it, we don't have the cattle. Shocking recruiting and our off season must be affecting team morale. So sad and angry at all that has happened.

True, plus four of our key players out now hasnt helped our cause, Elliott and Tay are just awful losses, as is Howe, Elliott was just coming good again too. Our injuries seem to happen only to key players, not ones like Magden or WHE, thats frustrating too. :cry: