#2 Jordan De Goey

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

Abdul The Bull

Post by Abdul The Bull »

Gerry Cooper wrote: It is what it is. He kicked four on a rookie who didn't know how to play him. That's an easy day out for him. We've got three hard games coming up against Sydney, Port and Geelong. Let's se how many he kicks against those sides. I think he is a lazy player who goes missing when he can't dominate. I also think lately he knows he will always get a game no matter what he does.
^ This. Precisely. This is what stops him being a true champion player.
There are 10 types of people in this world, those that understand binary and those that don't.
Achilles

Post by Achilles »

I hate the way he opens his arms and feigns being held. Just stop it!
mattdally
Has liked: 1 time

Post by mattdally »

Did what was expected on the weekend - 6 goals against average opposition was good result. If he plays permanent forward he should be a goal a qtr player. Will be a test this week against the Swans - but good form on the weekend. 9 scoring shots was dangerous.
derkd
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 21 times

Post by derkd »

De Goey and his manger wanted 1 million a season and no one wanted him.

The fact the club re-signed him on 700k a season was still a shock...he is STILL only a 500k a year player at best.

I personally (everyone has the right to an opinion) dont think the criticism of him is over blown ...he has still put together more misfired years then he has great years.

Don't ask the big dollars if you can't be preforming consistently week in week out.

As it stands....if we could get a deal I would happily trade him at years end. We probably can't. Shame.
"To know nothing of events before your birth, is to forever remain a child" - Cicero (Roman Lawyer/Senator) 46 BCE.
The Boy Who Cried Wolf

Post by The Boy Who Cried Wolf »

He's a 650k but he needs a good kick in the ars* or a 500k with 150k incentives contract, if he worked his ars* off he 'could' be a 1 mil player.
All Aboard!! Choo Choo!!!
derkd

Post by derkd »

The Boy Who Cried Wolf wrote:He's a 650k but he needs a good kick in the ars* or a 500k with 150k incentives contract, if he worked his ars* off he 'could' be a 1 mil player.
I am starting to worry he is a downhill skier. Looks great in games that we win big. But goes missing far too often 2018 grand final is a perfect example (he was not alone that day).

Just want to see the tallent that he has transformed into consistency. Less 6 goal bags.... I would happily take 22 weeks on 2 - 3 goals a game...hell if he was good for a goal a week week in week out...would take it.
"To know nothing of events before your birth, is to forever remain a child" - Cicero (Roman Lawyer/Senator) 46 BCE.
RudeBoy
Been liked: 76 times

Post by RudeBoy »

derkd wrote:De Goey and his manger wanted 1 million a season and no one wanted him....
Actually, De Goey is just about the only AFL player without a manager. He shopped himself around to a few clubs, including Carlton, before agreeing to a 2 yr deal worth around $1.5 million.
eddiesmith
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 16 times

Post by eddiesmith »

If JDG is only worth 500k then Grundy must be worth about 200!!!

He is possibly our only genuine match winner, let's not forget we smashed Geelong on the back of him last year, then he got injured and the seasons turned to shit.

In the last 5 Collingwood victories he has played in he's kicked 21 goals!
think positive
Has liked: 233 times
Been liked: 88 times

Post by think positive »

RudeBoy wrote:
derkd wrote:De Goey and his manger wanted 1 million a season and no one wanted him....
Actually, De Goey is just about the only AFL player without a manager. He shopped himself around to a few clubs, including Carlton, before agreeing to a 2 yr deal worth around $1.5 million.
his old man was his manager wasnt he?

ooooeee i googled it!!

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-20 ... c598502ced

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2020/07/27/ ... e-de-goey/

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2020/10/26/ ... ns-cleary/

its the gift...!
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
Cruisinwithdids

Post by Cruisinwithdids »

How about 3 solid performances in the next 3 games against decent opposition, displaying maximum effort for the sake of the team. Is that too much to ask?
The Boy Who Cried Wolf

Post by The Boy Who Cried Wolf »

Cruisinwithdids wrote:How about 3 solid performances in the next 3 games against decent opposition, displaying maximum effort for the sake of the team. Is that too much to ask?
Yes.
All Aboard!! Choo Choo!!!
Pies4shaw
Has liked: 70 times
Been liked: 102 times

Post by Pies4shaw »

eddiesmith wrote:In the last 5 Collingwood victories he has played in he's kicked 21 goals!
And in our last 6 losses, he's kicked a total of 3 goals. Moreover, in the lead up to that Geelong game in which he kicked 5 goals last year (that is, the home and away game - in the final, he managed 0.1), he managed just two goals in 5 games (a goal each in two very easy wins). He's the very embodiment of "chocolates or boiled lollies".

Another way to assess his value to the team is to observe that he has kicked the same number of goals as the resting ruckman (Cox/Cameron) and has fewer goals than our makeshift CHF (who has kicked 17 goals and had twice as many inside 50s, because he plays mostly much further up the field).

Really, he played 2 good games last year and he has played 1 and 1/2 this year (he didn't do anything after halftime in the Carlton game).

He is obviously a super talent but he needs to get much fitter and work harder, otherwise his career is going to fizzle out.

He has played 105 games and kicked just 145 goals. Fasolo kicked 133 in 101. Elliott has kicked 178 in 125 games.

Going further back, Mark Williams kicked 178 in 135 games - he played mostly as a centreman but when he went forward, on occasion, he kicked bags of goals. Unlike De Goey, he didn't have to have everything going his way - his best return (7 goals) came in a loss against the reigning premiers, playing as an under-sized, decoy full-forward). Indeed, one of my favourite players when I was younger was Dave Norman - he kicked 148 goals in 91 games, playing mainly as a second-rover resting in the forward pocket - he was never considered a star and his career was done before he turned 25.

At the moment, De Goey remains a player who "could be anything" but, week in and week out, is much more likely to be nothing.
MatthewBoydFanClub
Been liked: 1 time

Post by MatthewBoydFanClub »

derkd wrote:De Goey and his manger wanted 1 million a season and no one wanted him.

The fact the club re-signed him on 700k a season was still a shock...he is STILL only a 500k a year player at best.

I personally (everyone has the right to an opinion) dont think the criticism of him is over blown ...he has still put together more misfired years then he has great years.

Don't ask the big dollars if you can't be preforming consistently week in week out.

As it stands....if we could get a deal I would happily trade him at years end. We probably can't. Shame.
If Tom McDonald can get 700k at Melbourne De Goey deserves at least that playing at Collingwood. I think Collingwood is the only AFL footy club that doesn’t cheat on it’s salary cap books.
derkd

Post by derkd »

MatthewBoydFanClub wrote:
derkd wrote:De Goey and his manger wanted 1 million a season and no one wanted him.

If Tom McDonald can get 700k at Melbourne De Goey deserves at least that playing at Collingwood. I think Collingwood is the only AFL footy club that doesn’t cheat on it’s salary cap books.
If we did try to cheat the cap we would be the one club dumb enough to make it so obvious we would get fined.
Lazza

Post by Lazza »

I would like to reserve my judgment for the next month and see how he performs. Not convinced that he is 100% over his injuries yet. Wait and see.
Don't confuse your current path with your final destination. Just because it's dark and stormy now doesn't meant that you aren't headed for glorious sunshine!