Post Match. Swans smash Pies. All comments, please.

Match previews, reviews, reports and discussion.

Moderator: bbmods

simon tonna

Post by simon tonna »

Pies2016 wrote:
simon tonna wrote:Was Graham Write in the box today?
Yes. Also an interested party during the end of quarter addresses too.
Good. At least he’s doing what he’s paid to do.
Today’s game will answer a lot of questions in regards to coaching, player attitude and application mainly because we gave up a healthy lead and suddenly lost our way. I think Write will have a fair idea by the end of month on what decisions need to be made, if not all ready.
no second chances
MatthewBoydFanClub
Been liked: 1 time

Post by MatthewBoydFanClub »

Lazza wrote:
The Boy Who Cried Wolf wrote:
RudeBoy wrote:OK, I get it, most here blame Bucks. That's fair enough. We'll just have to agree to disagree. I simply think we don't have enough good players.
Exactly right and all under whose watch? I mean how many decades do you give a guy to rebuild a premiership winning list RB?
In reality the main person responsible for player recruitment was Ned Guy. Like you said, Ned too had years to replenish the list. He failed miserably.
You need to remember here that it could be 10 times worse than what we’re witnessing today. During the trade period last year Ned Guy was talking up our chances of recruiting Gunston and giving up two first round draft picks for him. It was Clarkson who wouldn’t budge. You imagine if we got Gunston. Gunston won’t even be playing until after the bye and has at best has 2-3 years left in him. Just be grateful we have Henry, MaCrae and McInnes playing for us instead of an over the hill Gunston. Now that Ned Guy has left the club and Graham Wright has returned at least a bit of sanity has returned to the club. Our current situation is a little like Paul Keating’s J curve. It gets worse before it gets better. The coach is the least of our worries. We have no forwards to kick a winning score. There was good reason to move Moore into the forward line. There is no other way but to keep playing the kids until they come good. As I’ve been repeatedly saying since the end of the trade period last year - the entire football department should have been sacked for the way they handled the Treloar, Stephenson situation.
Magpietothemax
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 15 times

Post by Magpietothemax »

^ Lost me when you said the coach was the least of our worries
Free Julian Assange!!
Ice in the veins
think positive
Has liked: 212 times
Been liked: 85 times

Post by think positive »

Magpietothemax wrote:
Piesnchess wrote:
Jezza wrote: Clarkson's done plenty to earn respect and patience from the Hawthorn supporter base. That's why silence from the Hawks fans to have moved him on are deafening.

It's easy to "play the kids", but are they being taught and coached properly?

Bullshit, take a look at the Hawks Bigfooty site, they are spewing on Clarko, now, as much as fans here are spewing on Bucks. They aint happy at the Hawks at all. They are not silent at all.
Good. Maybe they need a change of coach as well.
Solution opens up: trade Bux fir Ckarko NOW!!
In a heart beat!! They can have JT too just because!

Meanwhile Treloar just put Port in front!!!!
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
think positive
Has liked: 212 times
Been liked: 85 times

Post by think positive »

Jezza wrote:
PyreneesPie wrote:Just be careful what you wish for! :)

I think maybe many are trying to avoid the pain of this season by making hysterical, knee jerk, narrow minded calls to change the coaching situation now, right now!! . There is absolutely no guarantees that this will help, or it could even make things worse in the intermediate and long run.

I wish it were otherwise, but the sadness and disillusionment can't be avoided. Obviously, some are struggling to see beyond it and looking for quick fixes, but here's the situation...... Collingwood has been through it before, as has every other team in the competition. We may think we should be entitled to be immune, but sadly, we are not.
I can only speak for myself here, but I'll say the following.

I attend all Melbourne-based games and have been doing so for many years. When the game is on, my support for the players and coaches is unequivocal for that two hour period even if I have objections to their decision making.

I'm not being "hysterical, knee jerk or narrow minded" when I say I don't want Buckley retained beyond this year. Half of my angst at the moment is centered on the uncertainty of his future and the fear that the club will be crazy enough to retain him beyond this year.

We're 2-7 and yet the goalposts around his coaching future. If someone told me at the start of the season we would be 2-7 after 9 games and the club is still contemplating renewing Buckley's contract, I would have called them "insane". That's where we are now.

I don't hate Nathan Buckley. I adored him as a player, and was hopeful of him succeeding as coach, but I've come to the conclusion that after 10 seasons in charge, the club needs a new direction at coaching level. It isn't personal and the man will always be held in high regard by the supporters in the same way as Weideman and Shaw are despite failed coaching tenures.

I'm under no illusion the club needs to get its house in order in several areas starting at board level and the ongoing friction between different factions. Once that can be addressed, I want to see major changes at the football department level which includes the coaching personnel.

The club is entering a rebuild phase. I want a new person to oversee that rebuild and climb us back up to the top which will take several years. Most supporters from any club would wish for something similar in the same circumstances. Those who wish to buck that trend are advocating for an unusual course of action. Most coaches don't win a premiership within a decade are moved on, so I don't know why Buckley will be a special case if we retain him.

It's just unfathomable to me that after a 10-year sample size, some supporters don't have an appetite for change. Have you not asked yourselves the following questions:

- Can the players perform better under a different coach? Are you intrigued to find out whether the players would be better off playing under a different system of coaching?

- Why don't we have a key forward five years after Travis Cloke departed?

- Would the list composition be different?

- Would some form of renewal and freshness be positive for the club and the playing group?

- Has Nathan Buckley's status as a club legend altered your expectations towards him? Have you given him more leeway than would be afforded to an outsider?
Great post Jezza
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
MatthewBoydFanClub
Been liked: 1 time

Post by MatthewBoydFanClub »

Magpietothemax wrote:^ Lost me when you said the coach was the least of our worries
Did you read what Malthouse said during the week? The coach is one cog at the football club. It all starts at board level. If Buckley left tomorrow and everybody else kept their jobs nothing would be any different. In fact it would rub salt in the wounds if Buckley went to another club and coached them to a premiership. If we’re to improve as a football club it needs to start at the board and filter down to the football department. I don’t really think Mark Korda is up to it. Why do we always take it out on the coach?
Magpietothemax

Post by Magpietothemax »

MatthewBoydFanClub wrote:
Magpietothemax wrote:^ Lost me when you said the coach was the least of our worries
Did you read what Malthouse said during the week? The coach is one cog at the football club. It all starts at board level. If Buckley left tomorrow and everybody else kept their jobs nothing would be any different. In fact it would rub salt in the wounds if Buckley went to another club and coached them to a premiership. If we’re to improve as a football club it needs to start at the board and filter down to the football department. I don’t really think Mark Korda is up to it. Why do we always take it out on the coach?
MM definitely would need to say that after his impact on Carlton
Free Julian Assange!!
Ice in the veins
Magpietothemax

Post by Magpietothemax »

think positive wrote:

Great post Jezza
I second that. Jezza your posting of late has really been awesome
One reason lately that i have been coming on to Nicks frequently is to read your posts. You are articulating in an extremely calm and rational manner the thinking of so many ardent pies' fans during this dark hour. My gratitude, brother
Free Julian Assange!!
Ice in the veins
PyreneesPie
Has liked: 66 times

Post by PyreneesPie »

Jezza wrote:
PyreneesPie wrote:Just be careful what you wish for! :)

I think maybe many are trying to avoid the pain of this season by making hysterical, knee jerk, narrow minded calls to change the coaching situation now, right now!! . There is absolutely no guarantees that this will help, or it could even make things worse in the intermediate and long run.

I wish it were otherwise, but the sadness and disillusionment can't be avoided. Obviously, some are struggling to see beyond it and looking for quick fixes, but here's the situation...... Collingwood has been through it before, as has every other team in the competition. We may think we should be entitled to be immune, but sadly, we are not.
I can only speak for myself here, but I'll say the following.

I attend all Melbourne-based games and have been doing so for many years. When the game is on, my support for the players and coaches is unequivocal for that two hour period even if I have objections to their decision making.

I'm not being "hysterical, knee jerk or narrow minded" when I say I don't want Buckley retained beyond this year. Half of my angst at the moment is centered on the uncertainty of his future and the fear that the club will be crazy enough to retain him beyond this year.

We're 2-7 and yet the goalposts around his coaching future. If someone told me at the start of the season we would be 2-7 after 9 games and the club is still contemplating renewing Buckley's contract, I would have called them "insane". That's where we are now.

I don't hate Nathan Buckley. I adored him as a player, and was hopeful of him succeeding as coach, but I've come to the conclusion that after 10 seasons in charge, the club needs a new direction at coaching level. It isn't personal and the man will always be held in high regard by the supporters in the same way as Weideman and Shaw are despite failed coaching tenures.

I'm under no illusion the club needs to get its house in order in several areas starting at board level and the ongoing friction between different factions. Once that can be addressed, I want to see major changes at the football department level which includes the coaching personnel.

The club is entering a rebuild phase. I want a new person to oversee that rebuild and climb us back up to the top which will take several years. Most supporters from any club would wish for something similar in the same circumstances. Those who wish to buck that trend are advocating for an unusual course of action. Most coaches don't win a premiership within a decade are moved on, so I don't know why Buckley will be a special case if we retain him.

It's just unfathomable to me that after a 10-year sample size, some supporters don't have an appetite for change. Have you not asked yourselves the following questions:

- Can the players perform better under a different coach? Are you intrigued to find out whether the players would be better off playing under a different system of coaching?

- Why don't we have a key forward five years after Travis Cloke departed?

- Would the list composition be different?

- Would some form of renewal and freshness be positive for the club and the playing group?

- Has Nathan Buckley's status as a club legend altered your expectations towards him? Have you given him more leeway than would be afforded to an outsider?
A very thoughtful, well considered post Jezza.

Don't know why you quoted me though. I'm dubious about replacing Bucks mid-season, not next season. It was the "sack Buckley now" brigade that I was addressing in my post. I thought that was clear if you read my post accurately. I have no idea why you thought that was relevant to you and you felt you had to defend yourself against what I said, but there you go. I have no control over how you read and interpret the words in a post.

Similarly, I won't reply to your questions, because despite what you may have interpreted, they don't apply to me.
:wink:
Mr Miyagi
Has liked: 48 times
Been liked: 113 times

Post by Mr Miyagi »

MatthewBoydFanClub wrote:
Agreed. I don’t think anyone on the current board is up to it. I certainly don’t think Holgate should be involved with everything else going on. All the other board members, do they have footy brains or are just used to being executives on boards with all the power that comes with it? I don’t think Browne should be playing politics. If Eddie’s involved, he needs to step back.
PyreneesPie

Post by PyreneesPie »

Just a shout out to a couple of our players. It was really heartening to see the return of Bruzzy to his former self. Attacked the ball and took it on at every opportunity..great stuff
Whatever WHE did differently during his preparation this week, he needs to keep doing it. :) Wonderful to see some glimpses of the player he was in 2018.
Haff
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 39 times

Post by Haff »

PyreneesPie wrote:Just a shout out to a couple of our players. It was really heartening to see the return of Bruzzy to his former self. Attacked the ball and took it on at every opportunity..great stuff
Whatever WHE did differently during his preparation this week, he needs to keep doing it. :) Wonderful to see some glimpses of the player he was in 2018.
WHE played in the wing and didn’t have to be accountable for anything. Quite a few players on the list can do that, it’s a much easier position to play than half forward for example. One thing Bucks has gotten right is moving Daics to the middle where he is making a difference. That’s about the only praise he’ll get from me.
The match day thread is for unfiltered BS knee jerk reactions. The time for level headed comment comes after.
PyreneesPie

Post by PyreneesPie »

^ Crisp into the middle has been a plus too, while Tay is absent.
inxs88
Been liked: 4 times

Post by inxs88 »

PyreneesPie wrote:Just a shout out to a couple of our players. It was really heartening to see the return of Bruzzy to his former self. Attacked the ball and took it on at every opportunity..great stuff
Bruzzy? What an overrated view of his game. For a guy with a Daniel Rich type leg, he cannot hit a meaningful target ever!
I love the Pies, hate Carlscum
PyreneesPie

Post by PyreneesPie »

inxs88 wrote:
Bruzzy? What an overrated view of his game. For a guy with a Daniel Rich type leg, he cannot hit a meaningful target ever!
Just checked the game votes. Most gave him best Pies player on the ground. Named in best players on CFC website.
Last edited by PyreneesPie on Sat May 15, 2021 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.