#2 Jordan De Goey

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

The Boy Who Cried Wolf

Post by The Boy Who Cried Wolf »

^ lmao - just put him in the forward line, we might get an early 2nd rd'er and steak knives otherwise - he's fine played where he should be.
All Aboard!! Choo Choo!!!
Mr Miyagi
Has liked: 59 times
Been liked: 120 times

Post by Mr Miyagi »

Pies4shaw wrote:That says a fair bit about where the team is. Sidebottom is third for total disposals, third for total tackles, third for total goal assists, third for total clearances and third for total inside 50s, even though he's played 1 game less than most of the squad. He's plainly at the end of his career but the whacks people give him are just ridiculous. As for "awful this year", the stats say he's basically been consistently less awful than everyone in the team except Pendlebury and Grundy.

Ask yourself why a small, slow, outside player on the wrong side of 30 is so far up the rankings on all of those things, playing as an inside mid? Effort and pride is why. It'd be nice if a few more of the younger, fitter, stronger, fitter, faster guys showed a bit more of either. For example, the player with the "relaxed attitude" who is the subject of this thread.
Hear hear!
qldmagpie67
Been liked: 79 times

Post by qldmagpie67 »

Pies4shaw wrote:That says a fair bit about where the team is. Sidebottom is third for total disposals, third for total tackles, third for total goal assists, third for total clearances and third for total inside 50s, even though he's played 1 game less than most of the squad. He's plainly at the end of his career but the whacks people give him are just ridiculous. As for "awful this year", the stats say he's basically been consistently less awful than everyone in the team except Pendlebury and Grundy.

Ask yourself why a small, slow, outside player on the wrong side of 30 is so far up the rankings on all of those things, playing as an inside mid? Effort and pride is why. It'd be nice if a few more of the younger, fitter, stronger, fitter, faster guys showed a bit more of either. For example, the player with the "relaxed attitude" who is the subject of this thread.
We get your a Sidey fan and yes he’s played out of position to much but it doesn’t explain his declining kicking skills
Across 2020/21 he’s now at 46.2% kicking eff compared to his career eff at the end of 2019 of 62.1%
You can say he’s inside and having to hurry more kicks fair enough but when Treloar was played inside and under the same pressure kicking you called him a talentless hack
Can’t have it both ways mate
IMO I don’t think mentally Sidey has recovered from his performance in the 2018 GF
To say he was poor would be a massive understatement and considering his game against the tigers the previous week the club the supporters and likely himself and team mates would have expected much more from a senior player
He isn’t the same player
His lost a yard, his tackles are up because he’s trying to win the ball back he turned over, his clearances are up because we have no Adams Sier Greenwood Wills Elliott and we need JDG forward because no one else can kick goals
Yes he shouldn’t be asked to play inside I agree it’s a waste
He’s better suited to the outside under no pressure because under pressure he’s next to worthless to the team
Play him as the small forward general and help teach the young players that’s his best value to the team
WarrenerraW

Post by WarrenerraW »

Not sure we can really throw all the blame at our forwards and JDG for not producing enough goals because our delivery i50 is absolutely pathetic. Long bombs in hope or kicks that go over the top, side ways or straight to the opposition is never going to generate goals. Our midfield needs to be held accountable for their poor efforts as does buckley. This is his game plan. He teaches his players to handball and handball and handball; to kick sideways, backwards and long in hope. If I were a Collingwood forward I'd probably give up cos you know you'll never really touch the ball.
Ronnie McKeowns boots

Post by Ronnie McKeowns boots »

Pies4shaw wrote:Sidebottom's not "my man". He's just 2 Copeland trophies, 1 AFLCA best-finals player and one major premiership contribution ahead of Treloar. Also, he gets paid about half of what Treloar's on.
Pigs arse! No way Sidey is on less than 600k, especially after 2018, after which I believe his last contract renewal was.

Certainly not half of what Treloar was owed, which I might had had been backloaded so hardly an accurate annual amount.

We tried to shop Sidey in the offseason I am led to believe, couldn't even get a second rounder, too much coin
Pies4shaw
Has liked: 71 times
Been liked: 102 times

Post by Pies4shaw »

^ According to the Herald-Sun, Sidebottom was on between about $470,000 and $500,000.
Ronnie McKeowns boots

I stand corrected; it seems he signed a 5 year deal at 500k a year (or so speculated) in 2016...so in modern money, he is actually good value!

Still, if I am being a pedant, not exactly half of what Treloar was on
"You hate a mean man, a grasping man, a man who wants everything and gives nothing. That’s Collingwood. They are a law unto themselves"

Jack 'Captain Blood' Dyer
Ronnie McKeowns boots

Begs the question though; is Grundy worth two Sidebottoms?
"You hate a mean man, a grasping man, a man who wants everything and gives nothing. That’s Collingwood. They are a law unto themselves"

Jack 'Captain Blood' Dyer
think positive
Has liked: 233 times
Been liked: 88 times

Post by think positive »

WarrenerraW wrote:Not sure we can really throw all the blame at our forwards and JDG for not producing enough goals because our delivery i50 is absolutely pathetic. Long bombs in hope or kicks that go over the top, side ways or straight to the opposition is never going to generate goals. Our midfield needs to be held accountable for their poor efforts as does buckley. This is his game plan. He teaches his players to handball and handball and handball; to kick sideways, backwards and long in hope. If I were a Collingwood forward I'd probably give up cos you know you'll never really touch the ball.
I don’t blame the forwards, I blame the fact we don’t have a genuine KPP forward, which I bang on about all year long since Cloke departed!

If I was coach this week, I’d play Cox because he would take 2 defenders out of the equation, I’d tell the backs to bomb away like the mids do to the forwards, and the mids to hand pass and dickie around with the ball like the backs to try and penetrate the opposition defence, since we don’t have a real forward to mark.

But I’m so looking forward to more Groundhog Day!
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
K
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 20 times

Post by K »

Ronnie McKeowns boots wrote:Begs the question though; is Grundy worth two Sidebottoms?
This year, Grundy is paid over 12 times what Mumford is. Show your mates the GWS v. Collingwood game and see if they can tell.
Dave The Man
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Dave The Man »

Hardly Tried yesterday.

Might be time to Move him on
I am Da Man
SteveH67

Post by SteveH67 »

Dave The Man wrote:Hardly Tried yesterday.

Might be time to Move him on
He doesn't want to play for us.

He shopped himself around and didn't get the bites he was looking for.
Social club member 7342 since 2000.
Raw Hammer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

Post by Raw Hammer »

Like the Brisbane game, Buckley glued him to the goal square all game. The ball coming into F50 was deplorable. As soon as Collingwood fell behind, JDG gets moved into the middle and nearly helps us win the game. If only Buckley woke up during game day and made moves during the actual course of play. Move JDG to where the action is and we probably build or hold on lead.

Beggars belief.

No surprise that Mihocek and Cameron also had stinkers. Delivery to the forward line is deplorable. Buddy Franklin would struggle to get a touch inside our F50.
Est. 2002
think positive
Has liked: 233 times
Been liked: 88 times

Post by think positive »

Truth, itsdepressing, that’s why I want cox back to be a decoy!
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
Raw Hammer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

Post by Raw Hammer »

When you actually attend the game in person you can see why some players don’t fill the stats line. TV shows you nothing. I had a front row seat to watching JDG catch a cold while chained to the goal post while the rest of his imbecile team mates piss farted around with the pill before bombing to Aliir Aliir.
Est. 2002