Parliament House sexual assault and harassment allegations

Nick's current affairs & general discussion about anything that's not sport.
Voice your opinion on stories of interest to all at Nick's.

Moderator: bbmods

think positive
Has liked: 216 times
Been liked: 88 times

Post by think positive »

Getting old and forgetful can be fun! I just reread David’s comment like it was brand new to me and again thought WTAF!
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
David
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 37 times

Post by David »

Still don’t quite understand what people were taking issue with there! One does suspect at least a little "the lady doth protest too much" at play, lol (with apologies to the genuine innocents amongst us). :lol:
"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
swoop42
Been liked: 3 times

Post by swoop42 »

David wrote:Still don’t quite understand what people were taking issue with there! One does suspect at least a little "the lady doth protest too much" at play, lol (with apologies to the genuine innocents amongst us). :lol:
I agree.

While I have no interest in viewing other men engaging in such behaviour it's an entirely different proposition when it comes to the fairer sex.

Ifeelmyself or abbywinters in particular are worth the price of a membership and both originated in Australia.
He's mad. He's bad. He's MaynHARD!
Tannin

Post by Tannin »

That scumbag Porter has dropped the case. No retraction, no apology, no finding against the ABC, no damages, nothing. Complete failure.

Now he really must resign.
�Let's eat Grandma.� Commas save lives!
Pies4shaw
Has liked: 56 times
Been liked: 87 times

Post by Pies4shaw »

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-05-31/ ... /100179392

He's describing it as a "humiliating backdown" by the ABC. Not that there is any merit in that description, of course. But it's great that he's still making an effort to spin it, as best he can.
stui magpie
Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 74 times

Post by stui magpie »

Tannin wrote:That scumbag Porter has dropped the case. No retraction, no apology, no finding against the ABC, no damages, nothing. Complete failure.

Now he really must resign.
Mutually negotiated decision, ABC pays the costs of recent mediation and acknowledged wrongdoing here.
An ABC spokesperson said the broadcaster stood by the importance of the article but would update it with an editor's note.

The editor's note states that the ABC did not intend to suggest Mr Porter had committed the alleged offence.

"However, both parties accept that some readers misinterpreted the article as an accusation of guilt against Mr Porter. That reading, which was not intended by the ABC, is regretted," the editor's note reads.
So in essence, the ABC has apologised and Porter has withdrawn his action, Why on that basis would you think he should apologise let along resign?
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
Tannin

Post by Tannin »

1: massive waste of public funds.

2: misuse of his position as chief law officer

3: threatening innocent people only doing their job with massive legal costs and damages

4: The editor does indeed note that the ABC did not intend to suggest Porter was guilty. They never, ever, ever said anything else. They were so careful not to suggest that he was guilty that they (quite deliberately) did not even name him!

5: There has been no apology.

6: There have been behind-closed-doors hearings which obviously went very badly for Porter because he suddenly wanted to drop the action. You really have to wonder what went on there.
watt price tully

Post by watt price tully »

Damn it. I was hoping the alleged rapist Christian Porter was going to be on trial for his defamation case. I was seriously looking forward to the privileged arsehole to get his comeuppance. He has alleged form.
“I even went as far as becoming a Southern Baptist until I realised they didn’t keep ‘em under long enough” Kinky Friedman
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

Tannin wrote: 6: There have been behind-closed-doors hearings which obviously went very badly for Porter because he suddenly wanted to drop the action. You really have to wonder what went on there.
Not obviously. Another view would be that the ABC have admitted liability in that they unintentionally published material that could be misleading and Porter has accepted that position, deciding not to proceed with the action as it would be taxpayers money.

I don't have an opinion on Porter as a human being so I can see that argument. .
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
Tannin

Post by Tannin »

But they have admitted nothing of the kind. Not in any way.
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

That's not how I read things, you're entitled to your view.

To reiterate, I have no opinion on Porter as a human being.
eddiesmith
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 16 times

Post by eddiesmith »

One side has apologised and paying costs yet they’re the winners?

Interesting viewpoint.
watt price tully

Post by watt price tully »

And the Journalist still stands by her claims in the 4 Corners Report.

Now for a parliamentary enquiry and the need for an independent review of all available evidence in the balance of probabilities.
“I even went as far as becoming a Southern Baptist until I realised they didn’t keep ‘em under long enough” Kinky Friedman
Tannin

Post by Tannin »

1: They have not apologised.

2: They are not paying costs.

3: They stand by everything they said. All true. Porter doesn't even dispute that.
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

They are paying costs