What did you learn today?

Nick's current affairs & general discussion about anything that's not sport.
Voice your opinion on stories of interest to all at Nick's.

Moderator: bbmods

David
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 35 times

Post by David »

pietillidie wrote:That these are 'highly similar':

https://www.google.com/amp/s/finance.ya ... 34628.html
Wow. I thought the pear would at least have a bite taken out of it! :shock:

What’s astonishing to me about stories like this is not just the mendaciousness of the corporations involved but the fact that they devote time and energy to harassing such small-time enterprises, regardless of the (surely more than negligible) risk of bad PR outcomes if the story gets out.

(PS: speaking of evil corporations, there’s an example of the "Google-ised" links that I mentioned in Tannin’s thread!)
"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
K
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 17 times

Post by K »

Jezza wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote:...
https://www.currentaffairs.org/2018/03/ ... we-deserve

Peterson is a kind of philosophical everyidiot.

https://medium.com/@petermcarthur/the-h ... 4760f9fd68
If I knew Peterson or politics were being discussed I might not have wandered into this thread!

But here's something I found out about the guy by chance the other day:

Peterson developed an addiction to benzos and ended up in a Russian detox facility (and in an induced coma). His daughter claimed that the N. American facilities would not do or weren't good or something like that. (I have my doubts that there are real differences.)

His irresponsible doctors who prescribed and increased the dose of his benzos should be blamed, of course. (Media report his psychological problems started years ago when he had a "reaction" to some food he ate, and got worse when his wife developed cancer more recently.) But, really, a psychologist of any sort should know better than just to swallow what the pill-pushing doctors say. Everyone knows how addictive benzos are.

Maybe Peterson should learn some clinical psychology. There are other ways to deal with your problems than to pop pills.
stui magpie
Has liked: 71 times
Been liked: 73 times

Post by stui magpie »

Today I learned how dentistry is similar to plastering.

Yeah, the dentist looked shocked at first but once I explained it, she was wrapt as it gave her an easy example to use.

So anyway, I cracked a tooth last week and made a dentist appointment. Old metal filling had cracked and the shell of the tooth had started to go as well so she had to drill out all the metal filling and replace it with a white one. That's an hour of my life gone.

Anyway, after she was finished I asked what the white filling was made of, she explained. 2 part epoxy resin with colour mixed in to match existing teeth. She has to do it in small layers as they need to "cure" each layer so it's hardened before moving onto the next one, and it shrinks when it dries so you mix up a batch, pack some in, whack in the thingo to cure it, use the drill to clean up quickly and repeat.

I explained to her that it was exactly the same process as a plasterer repairing a wall. The plaster patching compound shrinks as it dries so you pack some in, wait til next day, sand it back and repeat until you get a good finish.

I got the impression that her experience in fixing walls was about the same as mine repairing teeth, so she was pleased to have learned something too.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
What'sinaname
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 9 times

Post by What'sinaname »

^
makes future dental work simple. A trip to the ol' green shed and buy some epoxy.
think positive
Has liked: 212 times
Been liked: 84 times

Post by think positive »

I chipped one last night cleaning my teeth! I think maybe I knocked it earlier when I fell up the stairs. Thing is I can’t find where the chips come from, so I’ll make an appointment for next week and stay off the hard stuff! I’m sitting in front of the gas wood fire, with the dogs chilling, far from Melbourne! Peace and quiet!
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

^

WTF were you cleaning them with, an angle grinder? :shock:

Enjoy being away from Melbourne. I let my cuz use the house this weekend, her mum lives up there and it's her 90th Birthday.

I'll go up next week depending on work calendar and weather forecast.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
roar
Been liked: 3 times

Post by roar »

I'm back in the country after a ten day stretch in Melbourne. It wasn't horrible but I'm glad to be back.
kill for collingwood!
think positive

Post by think positive »

stui magpie wrote:^

WTF were you cleaning them with, an angle grinder? :shock:

Enjoy being away from Melbourne. I let my cuz use the house this weekend, her mum lives up there and it's her 90th Birthday.

I'll go up next week depending on work calendar and weather forecast.
Elec tooth brush! I’m chucking it and going back to soft brushes!

Howgood is it to go for a walk sans mask!
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

^

I don't follow stupid rules, so when I did my morning walks I had a mask in my pocket in case people came near, but 98% of the time, didn't wear one. :oops:
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

Sometimes you read something on Facebook that just demands to be fact checked. This was one of them.
There is one final rumour that has to be addressed: the oft-repeated "fact" that male pigs can orgasm for 30 minutes.
Now, I'll confess, when I first read that, my thought was of the sensation, not necessarily the accompanying physical effects.
But based on the ubiquitous "gloved hand" method used to coax sperm from male pigs, ejaculation does appear to last a very long time. In a 2012 study of "high performance boars", the average duration of ejaculation was around 6 minutes. But there was considerable variation, with one male apparently yielding semen continuously for 31 minutes.
:shock: woah, oh Mr Hart, what a mess.

if male humans were like that, the withdrawal method of birth control would have resulted in partners looking like freshly glazed donuts.

The final word though, be prepared to follow through to the sticky end.
Whatever the truth about orgasms, an online primer on how to artificially inseminate pigs warns practitioners not to interrupt the male before he's done, unless they want a very angry pig on their hands.
http://www.bbc.com/earth/story/20150924 ... about-pigs
think positive

Post by think positive »

Heheheh that’s hysterical
swoop42
Been liked: 3 times

Post by swoop42 »

Now I know where the inspiration for apple sauce being used as a condiment for pork came from.
He's mad. He's bad. He's MaynHARD!
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

Completely unrelated, I wasn't sure where else to put this.

I little but significant piece of modern Australian history that I was completely unfamiliar with.

http://www.freedomday.com.au/history-culture/
On August 23, 1966, Mr Lingiari led hundreds of his fellow Wave Hill Station workers in a walk-off at the cattle station.

They demanded better pay and living conditions, but most importantly, they wanted to see the return of their traditional land.

Their actions would eventually lead to equal pay for Indigenous people, see the creation of the land rights act and the handing back of Gurindji land.
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-08-25/ ... i/10164318

The story is also the subject of the Paul Kelly song "from little things, big things grow" of which I've clearly never listed to the words other than the chorus

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_ndC07C2qw
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

Got home from Toc, went to move the Redline so I could put the trailer away, remote is flat. Couldn't start it. So quick trip to Greensie, $25 at Mr Minit and new battery, plus I learned something new.

With a keyless start car, you can still start it if the battery in the remote is flat.

In the Redline, inside the centre console, there a slot in the front next to the USB port and 12v socket that you can slide the remote in. Apparently, even if the remote battery is dead flat, you open the door with the key and put the remote in that slot and the car will start.

Went looking for something similar in the Cannon ute, couldn't see anything so may have to review the manual.