Post Match. Pies down to Dockers. All comments, please.

Match previews, reviews, reports and discussion.

Moderator: bbmods

Magpietothemax
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 15 times

Post by Magpietothemax »

I just watched the footage of the Maynard Henry incident. My God, clearly absolutely no free to Henry. Maynard was really careful to avoid frontal contact, and it was Henry who pushed Maynard.
but even Maynard's reaction... he was angry... but what ...handballed it back to Henry 3 seconds too late... Just a disproportionate penalty any day of the week... I am not buying the "unforgiveable " label to Maynard's behaviour. To me it was both totally comprehensible, and not worthy of a 50 m either. He returned the ball after pointing out his disagreement.
Shocking umpiring in my view.
In the video, after Henry kicks the goal, Maynard continues to remonstrate... the field umpire runs away, with a sheepish look on his face...
No anger from me Bruzza
Free Julian Assange!!
Ice in the veins
Dave The Man
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Dave The Man »

Magpietothemax wrote:I just watched the footage of the Maynard Henry incident. My God, clearly absolutely no free to Henry. Maynard was really careful to avoid frontal contact, and it was Henry who pushed Maynard.
but even Maynard's reaction... he was angry... but what ...handballed it back to Henry 3 seconds too late... Just a disproportionate penalty any day of the week... I am not buying the "unforgiveable " label to Maynard's behaviour. To me it was both totally comprehensible, and not worthy of a 50 m either. He returned the ball after pointing out his disagreement.
The Ump is a Clown
I am Da Man
masoncox
Been liked: 3 times

Post by masoncox »

What'sinaname wrote:
masoncox wrote:Didn't watch it
Went to the market instead.
Didn't even look at the scores until after the game.
I have missed a number of games this year.
Never done that since 1975.
No point watching misery.
Your namesake seemed to also go the market between 1:45pm and 4:45pm today too, because he was MIA.
My namesake has been crucified at Pieland.
He knows he is on the market.
Will be a good Riuckman and forward player at another club who would be infinitely better at bringing the ball forward and actually have a game plan that helps the forwards.
How did Cameron go today.....I hear he was pretty lousy.
How about Lynch....one decent game so far.......going to hang my hat on that.
burnsy17

Post by burnsy17 »

Actually, Cameron was pretty good. And has been for most of the season.

Cox..... he may as well head to the NBL. Try something else that he may actually be good at.
Beware the swooping Magpie.
Jezza
Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 191 times

Post by Jezza »

Magpietothemax wrote:I just watched the footage of the Maynard Henry incident. My God, clearly absolutely no free to Henry. Maynard was really careful to avoid frontal contact, and it was Henry who pushed Maynard.
In the video, after Henry kicks the goal, Maynard continues to remonstrate... the field umpire runs away, with a sheepish look on his face...
No anger from me Bruzza
Agree 100%, MTTM.

Maynard was right to feel aggrieved about the umpire's poor decision.
🏆 | 1902 | 1903 | 1910 | 1917 | 1919 | 1927 | 1928 | 1929 | 1930 | 1935 | 1936 | 1953 | 1958 | 1990 | 2010 | 2023 | 🏆
Magpietothemax

Post by Magpietothemax »

masoncox wrote:
What'sinaname wrote:
masoncox wrote:Didn't watch it
Went to the market instead.
Didn't even look at the scores until after the game.
I have missed a number of games this year.
Never done that since 1975.
No point watching misery.
Your namesake seemed to also go the market between 1:45pm and 4:45pm today too, because he was MIA.
My namesake has been crucified at Pieland.
He knows he is on the market.
Will be a good Riuckman and forward player at another club who would be infinitely better at bringing the ball forward and actually have a game plan that helps the forwards.
How did Cameron go today.....I hear he was pretty lousy.
How about Lynch....one decent game so far.......going to hang my hat on that.
He was crucified by the ball movement we regularly played under Bux (2018 excepted).
I agree: no coincidence that when we moved the ball fast and aggressively through the corridor, Cox was so much better.
Now though, we have lost crucial complements to Cox: Stephenson, and Treloar. We are also missing Flip quite significantly, as his gut running and ability to possess the ball has revealed its importance by his absence. Cox is not a natural player. He has assets and strengths that will be accentuated by a team that has the necessary components to complement him. We once had those, but no longer do.
Free Julian Assange!!
Ice in the veins
SteveH67

Post by SteveH67 »

No anger from me Bruzza
The 50metres was for continuing to mouth off, not for returning the ball to the Freo player supposedly late.

You guys got it all wrong.

The free was dubious, but he should have shut his mouth. Umpires dont reverse their own decisions if the player tells them they made a mistake.
Social club member 7342 since 2000.
Magpietothemax

Post by Magpietothemax »

SteveH67 wrote:
No anger from me Bruzza
The 50metres was for continuing to mouth off, not for returning the ball to the Freo player supposedly late.

You guys got it all wrong.

The free was dubious, but he should have shut his mouth. Umpires dont reverse their own decisions if the player tells them they made a mistake.
Yeah, but not worth 50. Umpire should have let it go. Clearly awarded 50 because he was cut: maynard pointed out he was wrong.
Free Julian Assange!!
Ice in the veins
simon tonna

Post by simon tonna »

No anger from me Bruzza
I for one automatically could see it was play on and I was watching a computer monitor. So therefore the umpire who was watching live action decided to blow the whistle, but why? Because he assumes there was front on contact! That’s a independent and biased view point and not a fair, responsible or professional outcome. Anyway decisions needs to be made about the level of incompetence with umpiring.
no second chances
Lazza

Post by Lazza »

Magpietothemax wrote: Yeah, but not worth 50. Umpire should have let it go. Clearly awarded 50 because he was cut: maynard pointed out he was wrong.
Agree. This umpire needs to harden the **** up and get a thick skin
Don't confuse your current path with your final destination. Just because it's dark and stormy now doesn't meant that you aren't headed for glorious sunshine!
Lazza

Post by Lazza »

Magpietothemax wrote:Anyway decisions needs to be made about the level of incompetence with umpiring.
I hear you and totally agree. Well overdue. FWIW, I have been saying this for 45 years
Don't confuse your current path with your final destination. Just because it's dark and stormy now doesn't meant that you aren't headed for glorious sunshine!
Gerry Cooper
Has liked: 117 times
Been liked: 33 times

Post by Gerry Cooper »

Lazza wrote:
Magpietothemax wrote: Yeah, but not worth 50. Umpire should have let it go. Clearly awarded 50 because he was cut: maynard pointed out he was wrong.
We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true.�
Gerry Cooper

Post by Gerry Cooper »

Mistakes cost us today but Freo were a little bit better and too strong when it counted.

I Just watched the replay and a thought occurred to me. We are a better side without Taylor Adams. It may not have been the reason we lost but the number of times he wastes the ball with his characteristic poor disposal and decision making is an issue.
We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true.�
Lazza

Post by Lazza »

Gerry Cooper wrote:
Lazza wrote:
Gerry Cooper

Post by Gerry Cooper »

Lazza wrote:
Gerry Cooper wrote:
Lazza wrote: Agree. This umpire needs to harden the **** up and get a thick skin