#22 Steele Sidebottom

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

schuey07

Post by schuey07 »

Mr Miyagi wrote:
The Boy Who Cried Wolf wrote:P4S you don't have to defend Sidey... he's played far more games than anyone on this board.

PS: The funny thing is people bagging Sidey don't know how good he actually is considering he's a small forward that's played the entirety of his career in the midfield lmao.
Totally agree Daffy. And he’s got a bit of Buckley syndrome in recent years, playing all over the ground, plugging holes. He’s slowing down now, but his ability to cover ground has prevented him from playing forward more.
All three of you have hit the nail on the head. He has to plug so many holes, he has been a great player for this club and cops so much abuse from our supporters it’s not funny. I personally hope he makes it to 300 games. He has been one of my favourite players to watch and I’ll always have a soft spot for him.
think positive
Has liked: 216 times
Been liked: 86 times

Post by think positive »

Ditto, well done Sidey, love that grin!
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
Pies4shaw
Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 87 times

Post by Pies4shaw »

Well done, acting captain.
Jezza
Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 191 times

Post by Jezza »

Great captain's game.
🏆 | 1902 | 1903 | 1910 | 1917 | 1919 | 1927 | 1928 | 1929 | 1930 | 1935 | 1936 | 1953 | 1958 | 1990 | 2010 | 2023 | 🏆
MJ23

Post by MJ23 »

Sidey when he finishes will be remembered as one of our greatest, most skilful players to ever represent the club. His pressure kicking today was elite.
Makes me laugh at those supporters who challenge his value.
"Even when Im old and gray, I wont be able to play but Ill still love the game"
Michael Jordan
Pies4shaw

Post by Pies4shaw »

On Sunday, he will go clear of Jock McHale on the all-time games played for Collingwood list. His 262 career games will then put him behind just Pendlebury, Shaw, Coventry, Richardson, Thompson and Burns.

Thus, come Sunday, he will have played the fourth-highest number of games all-time by a Collingwood premiership player.
Piesnchess
Has liked: 178 times
Been liked: 72 times

Post by Piesnchess »

Looks like poor ol Sidey is back in the bad books again, after the loss to the Dawks, poor blighter cannot take a trick these days.!
Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor, but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
MJ23

Post by MJ23 »

^ doubt he GAF what Muppets think. The club and teammates know his value
"Even when Im old and gray, I wont be able to play but Ill still love the game"
Michael Jordan
Ronnie McKeowns boots

Post by Ronnie McKeowns boots »

Oxley out of the Centre square PS4? My word! Quite the calll
"You hate a mean man, a grasping man, a man who wants everything and gives nothing. That’s Collingwood. They are a law unto themselves"

Jack 'Captain Blood' Dyer
Pies4shaw

Post by Pies4shaw »

^ Sadly, we have no tongue-in-cheek emoticon. You probably missed this from August 2018 in this thread:
Pies4shaw wrote:I don't agree. I think there's still time for Oxley to take his rightful place as All-Australian wingman. Sidey is an impostor in that spot. The Ox is just the better player. Sidey lacks the skill and running ability to make it as a midfielder.
Pies4shaw

Post by Pies4shaw »

It was a shame to see him looking so interested in the game last night - after he'd pleased so many people by "looking disinterested" during a pre-season game.

Memo to self: I must remember to make more stupid recruiting calls on the basis of watching players who have played 250+ games in the black and white warming up in nothing pre-season games.

Anyway, despite passing Scott Burns, he's still "only" in 6th place all-time for games played in the black and white. To put this in proper context for the haters, he:

- had 7 fewer hitouts last night than Len Thompson did in his 265th game;
- only 2 more disposals and 2 more goals than the great Wayne Richardson did in his 265th game;
- kicked one goal fewer than Gordon Coventry did in his 265th game. Sadly, the stats from 1935 are rudimentary - but I'm sure Gordon will have done more around the centre than Steele did last night - and a lot of harder running up and down the wings, as well. He was better on both sides of his body than Steele, too;
- had 2 fewer disposals than Tony Shaw did in his 265th game - but kicked 2 more goals; and
- had 9 fewer disposals than Pendles did in his 265th game - but kicked 1 more goal.

Anyway, those players are the standard for getting any more games. If he can't have more hitouts than Thompson, more disposals than Pendlebury, Richardson and Tony Shaw and kick more goals than Gordon Coventry, how does he even get another game?

As for these questions the commentators are asking about whether he is the best two-sided player in the history of the game, I'm just not going to discuss the issue. He plainly lacks Marley Williams' right foot.
Last edited by Pies4shaw on Thu Mar 24, 2022 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pies2016
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 88 times

Post by Pies2016 »

^ ^ ^
Made me laugh.

If nothing else, the takeaway should be never to pass judgement on an experienced quality footballer on the back of a couple lacklustre practice matches. It’s likely one of the reasons he got to 250. It’s a long season.
Gary Player “ the harder I practice, the luckier I get “

Post by #26 »

Nice work, P4S.

Sidey was asked about the changes at the club in his post match interview last night and he said "I'm happy now"

I've also heard a few people say that the players are enjoying having license to play with more freedom. Sounds like some of them found the previous set up a bit stifling.
Pies4shaw

Post by Pies4shaw »

It's a matter of perspective, I guess. My NFL team has just given a $50 million per year contract to a 38-year-old quarterback who simply doesn't play in the pre-season, apparently because it's beneath him (as, one might politely say, it plainly is). Yet, here we were, apparently wondering - in all seriousness - whether one of the most-decorated and longest-serving players in the history of our great club is worth a game ahead of someone else, merely because the great didn't turn it on against Hawthorn in early March.
think positive
Has liked: 216 times
Been liked: 86 times

Post by think positive »

#26 wrote:Nice work, P4S.

Sidey was asked about the changes at the club in his post match interview last night and he said "I'm happy now"

I've also heard a few people say that the players are enjoying having license to play with more freedom. Sounds like some of them found the previous set up a bit stifling.
when i went to training in january, the atmoshpere was so so different, so much happier, so less stressful, and i reckon that thats the way we played last night, with a bit of freedom to take a chance and not be regimented into following that awful $@&^# gameplan! we even, heaven forbid, went straight down the middle!!!

onya sidey, you stuck it up em!
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!