Farewell #20 Will Kelly

Player President threads here thanks.

Moderator: bbmods

magpieazza

Will Kelly and his potential

Post by magpieazza »

I am really intrigued to find out if Will Kelly can step up next year. He could be a major player in our future. I see alot of potential and liked the way he played in one game but havent seen him train or seen him in his early years.

Does anyone know how he is travelling injury wise atm and has anyone got an opinion if he will make it as a senior ??
Carpe diem quam minimum credula postero.
MJ23

Post by MJ23 »

He needs to string some games together to really understand his potential.

What I do remember, as a junior he was one of the few defenders who could match the Kings which was why he was rated a first round talent.

At least his injuries haven't been soft tissue - keep him in the gym building on his frame and I think we will have a player.
"Even when Im old and gray, I wont be able to play but Ill still love the game"
Michael Jordan
magpieazza

Post by magpieazza »

Thanx MJ23, WK does sound promising. Will could fill in areas where we are desperate in.
Kreuger looks really good from highlights but there seems to be issues in his knees. (if we get him in )
Collingwood have talented talls but injuries are our curse. Fingers crossed.
Carpe diem quam minimum credula postero.
jackcass

Post by jackcass »

Be very nice for him to get some continuity and actually show us his potential. All we have to date is a few teases at senior and VFL level. I think that at a minimum he can be a pretty solid role player. Hopefully 2022 is his breakout year.
gurugeoff
Been liked: 4 times

Post by gurugeoff »

Nothing to see, nothing to say - if he ever gets to play a few games we can find out. That of course, in itself is a worry, is he physically suited to AFL?
rosspies

Post by rosspies »

I think we need to retire the number 20 jumper, its injury cursed.
Pies2016
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 87 times

Post by Pies2016 »

It’s a tough one re Kelly because we can have all the expectations we like but in truth, the kid hasn’t really played for three seasons now. Most of his injuries have been impact / collision injuries, so I’m hoping it’s more bad luck but even that’s unknown right now.
MJ23 made a good comment about his ability to match it with the King twins in the U18s. They had some great battles along the way. It was always Max until he did his knee and then Sandy moved Ben forward and they were good battles too. Kelly’s U18 championships were excellent. He beat Lukosuis and Brownless playing as a key defender and what stood out was his closing speed and decision making. The club know more than we do but I don’t understand the desire to turn him into a forward ( other than the fact we don’t have enough tall forwards ) Hes not a particularly strong mark and he’s more a straight line player, so I see him as a defender, just like the Chargers did.
He’s still got time but he needs some luck and a good run at it or it can all get away from you very quickly.
Gary Player “ the harder I practice, the luckier I get “
Podpicken

Post by Podpicken »

Pies2016 wrote:It’s a tough one re Kelly because we can have all the expectations we like but in truth, the kid hasn’t really played for three seasons now. Most of his injuries have been impact / collision injuries, so I’m hoping it’s more bad luck but even that’s unknown right now.
MJ23 made a good comment about his ability to match it with the King twins in the U18s. They had some great battles along the way. It was always Max until he did his knee and then Sandy moved Ben forward and they were good battles too. Kelly’s U18 championships were excellent. He beat Lukosuis and Brownless playing as a key defender and what stood out was his closing speed and decision making. The club know more than we do but I don’t understand the desire to turn him into a forward ( other than the fact we don’t have enough tall forwards ) Hes not a particularly strong mark and he’s more a straight line player, so I see him as a defender, just like the Chargers did.
He’s still got time but he needs some luck and a good run at it or it can all get away from you very quickly.
Great post. Makes complete sense, and hopefully '22 is the year he has a good run.
Billy Picken, the great No. 25 in the sky!
inxs88
Been liked: 4 times

Post by inxs88 »

He doesn't have the look, body language or demeanour of his Dad or a Brayden Maynard. Looks a bit too polite amidst the 7 quarters he has played in 4 years.
I love the Pies, hate Carlscum
RudeBoy
Been liked: 73 times

Post by RudeBoy »

I'm yet to see him take a strong contested mark. Hope I'm wrong, but he certainly needs to step up next year or he may never make it.
Dave The Man
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Dave The Man »

Just needs to stop getting Injured 1st
I am Da Man
masoncox
Been liked: 3 times

Post by masoncox »

RudeBoy wrote:I'm yet to see him take a strong contested mark. Hope I'm wrong, but he certainly needs to step up next year or he may never make it.
I have not seen him do anything of interest to me.
Who knows what potential he has.
His injuries and his football talent when he occasionally takes to the field doesn't leave me with much enthusiasm.
MatthewBoydFanClub
Been liked: 1 time

Post by MatthewBoydFanClub »

Pies2016 wrote:It’s a tough one re Kelly because we can have all the expectations we like but in truth, the kid hasn’t really played for three seasons now. Most of his injuries have been impact / collision injuries, so I’m hoping it’s more bad luck but even that’s unknown right now.
We don't have enough forwards. It's as simple as that. If it works out with Kreuger then we have an opportunity to swing him back into defense.
Geek

Post by Geek »

MJ23 wrote:
At least his injuries haven't been soft tissue - keep him in the gym building on his frame and I think we will have a player.
Missed most of his first year with a hamstring. Might have been tendon though so not technically soft tissue?
Pies2016
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 87 times

Post by Pies2016 »

MatthewBoydFanClub wrote:
We don't have enough forwards. It's as simple as that. If it works out with Kreuger then we have an opportunity to swing him back into defense.
The problem is, when you’ve played as a key defender for two years in the U18s, you don’t learn to play as a forward in one pre season and against defenders who have been playing that role for years. Remember, he’s just come from U18 anti density zones and then finds himself playing in stacked forward lines as a 19 year old who hasn’t played the position before. The club made their decision to trial him “ out of position” but it was akin to throwing him to the wolves.
It will be very interesting to see how McRae and co view his best position.