The 2021 Great Big Consolidated Trade & Draft thread

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

piedys
Has liked: 291 times
Been liked: 70 times

Post by piedys »

M I L L A N E 4 2 forever
BazBoy
Been liked: 30 times

Post by BazBoy »

Two hours to go. Have we finished our task of recruiting
I'm not arguing--just explaining why i am right
Dave The Man
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Dave The Man »

BazBoy wrote:Two hours to go. Have we finished our task of recruiting
Still got to Trade Lynch to Hawks
I am Da Man
Dave The Man
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Dave The Man »

The end of Trade Period lot less Stressful then last years Trade Period for Me
I am Da Man
piedys

Post by piedys »

Dave The Man wrote:The end of Trade Period lot less Stressful then last years Trade Period for Me
Yeah let's hope we never see another fiasco like that one in our lifetime again.
swoop42
Been liked: 3 times

Post by swoop42 »

If Hill was so concerned about wanting to be closer to support networks then he would have requested a trade to either of the Western Australian clubs because you know that's the state he's actually from.
He's mad. He's bad. He's MaynHARD!
Presti35
Has liked: 169 times
Been liked: 63 times

Post by Presti35 »

bit of drama around Hill... :shock:
A Goal Saved Is 2 Goals Earned!
BenBronx
Been liked: 1 time

Post by BenBronx »

I know we had shown interest in Bobby Hill but does anyone else think we'll dodge a bullet by not getting him? He doesn't seem to want to come here and appears to be acting rather petulant. Certainly not the sort of personality I'd want at the club.
piedys

Post by piedys »

BenBronx wrote:I know we had shown interest in Bobby Hill but does anyone else think we'll dodge a bullet by not getting him? He doesn't seem to want to come here and appears to be acting rather petulant. Certainly not the sort of personality I'd want at the club.
He'll get to Essendope by end of 2022; not our problem.
Plenty of talented indigenous kids out there; too bad numpty Hine can't find us one that we don't need to poach from another club..
MJ23

Post by MJ23 »

BenBronx wrote:I know we had shown interest in Bobby Hill but does anyone else think we'll dodge a bullet by not getting him? He doesn't seem to want to come here and appears to be acting rather petulant. Certainly not the sort of personality I'd want at the club.

I do. Glad we don’t have him.
"Even when Im old and gray, I wont be able to play but Ill still love the game"
Michael Jordan
Pies2016
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 89 times

Post by Pies2016 »

We can’t keep contracting all these B graders. If you start contracting every $300,000 a year player who becomes available, you never end up with any serious cap room to afford an elite talent. We’ve just invested between 500,000 - 600,000 a year on Lipinski and Krueger as unfilled talents and if we add another one, that’s close to a million on three players who may not even take the next step. Some people are never happy with the clubs decisions, so you’re damned if you do and damned if you don’t. The reality is, it’s tough to attract match winners when you’re throwing 300,000 at anyone whose name is mentioned during trade week. I think we’ve dodged a bullet but not because it was Hill, more so because we now have enough young blokes still on first contracts who can fill the gaps until the cap space allows us to afford a quality player once again.
jackcass

Post by jackcass »

Pies2016 wrote:We can’t keep contracting all these B graders. If you start contracting every $300,000 a year player who becomes available, you never end up with any serious cap room to afford an elite talent. We’ve just invested between 500,000 - 600,000 a year on Lipinski and Krueger as unfilled talents and if we add another one, that’s close to a million on three players who may not even take the next step. Some people are never happy with the clubs decisions, so you’re damned if you do and damned if you don’t. The reality is, it’s tough to attract match winners when you’re throwing 300,000 at anyone whose name is mentioned during trade week. I think we’ve dodged a bullet but not because it was Hill, more so because we now have enough young blokes still on first contracts who can fill the gaps until the cap space allows us to afford a quality player once again.
Yeah, even at (say) $300k per it mounts up and there’s no assurances that you’ve brought a player into the club who’ll offer anything more than any of the draftees we added last year.
BazBoy
Been liked: 30 times

Post by BazBoy »

Out ::
Greenwood
Mayne
Tohill
Lynch
????
????

In::
Lipinski
Krueger

Who will now be let go
I'm not arguing--just explaining why i am right
warburton lad
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 46 times

Post by warburton lad »

BazBoy wrote:Out ::
Greenwood
Mayne
Tohill
Lynch
????
????

In::
Lipinski
Krueger

Who will now be let go
hard to say, but I would imagine only Cox will be reconstructed any time soon:

Does that leave Rantall, Thomas and Sier as the only three out of contract?
Not sure of the status of Chugg, Madgen and Noble.
Firm in the belief that number 17 flag is only months away...
MatthewBoydFanClub
Been liked: 1 time

Post by MatthewBoydFanClub »

Pies2016 wrote:
We can’t keep contracting all these B graders. If you start contracting every $300,000 a year player who becomes available, you never end up with any serious cap room to afford an elite talent. We’ve just invested between 500,000 - 600,000 a year on Lipinski and Krueger as unfilled talents and if we add another one, that’s close to a million on three players who may not even take the next step. Some people are never happy with the clubs decisions, so you’re damned if you do and damned if you don’t. The reality is, it’s tough to attract match winners when you’re throwing 300,000 at anyone whose name is mentioned during trade week. I think we’ve dodged a bullet but not because it was Hill, more so because we now have enough young blokes still on first contracts who can fill the gaps until the cap space allows us to afford a quality player once again.
You’re right in the sense that Lipinski and Krueger are unfulfilled talents. There’s various ways you go about it. The basis of a premiership team is the talent you recruit from the national draft and the flukes you pick up in the rookie draft. Then you top up with high end talent from other clubs if you can stay under your salary cap. You can rule out the latter in our case because we shot our salary cap. So what we try to do is identify talent on the cusp of bursting onto the scene knowing we won’t be paying much. Then rely on the training program and the motivation which comes from changing clubs. Everything I’ve heard from my Geelong friends about Krueger is positive. You hear similar feedback about Lipinski from Bulldog sources. There’s no guarantee either will turn into superstars.

In the case of Bobby Hill I’m sorry he didn’t come to Collingwood but relieved he didn’t get to Essendon. Essendon is on the up. A player like Hill, who’s another unfulfilled talent, adds another dimension to Essendon’s forward line. As much as I like Tippi I have my doubts about his ability to perform in a final. Hill I’m sure could have given them that edge that could have delivered them a premiership.

Take my opinion for what it is. I don’t think we have the pace in our forward line to take us that next step. McCreery, Elliot and Ginnivan are mostly one paced. Henry mixes it up. He could be anything. Stephenson was a mistake. I don’t care how he behaved in the interstate hubs. You don’t replace talent like Stephenson overnight. WHE and De Goey are now playing their football further up the field. Ask yourselves. Who do we have with express pace to open up our forward line? Bobby Hill could have given us that.