#2 Jordan De Goey

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

Mr Miyagi
Has liked: 59 times
Been liked: 120 times

Post by Mr Miyagi »

I think it’s some deal with Monster energy drinks, so work related. He’s not on a Dane Swan Vegas adventure, I can assure you! I reckon he’s hitting the sack pretty early considering what the fitness guru is putting him through.
RudeBoy
Been liked: 76 times

Post by RudeBoy »

Back bucks wrote:With our borders supposedly closed , i didn't think anyone could go overseas or return home, let alone our elite athletes. Not getting political. Just surprised they were allowed to ,given the AFL hub situation the last 2 seasons.
If you are travelling overseas for work or business and are going away for several weeks, then it's easy to get an exit permit, as long as you have a return ticket and are prepared to quarantine upon your return. The people stuck overseas did not have return tickets.
Lazza

Post by Lazza »

RudeBoy wrote:Let's hope JDG gets super fit. If he does that, he can be the best player in the AFL.
Definitely RB. However let’s see the final product when he returns and whether the sausage is as good as the sizzle. I certainly hope so.
Don't confuse your current path with your final destination. Just because it's dark and stormy now doesn't meant that you aren't headed for glorious sunshine!
Back bucks

Post by Back bucks »

Thanks for clearing that up. I hope this works for him ( and us ) like the Arizona trip the team went on all those years ago. I am positive i couldn`t balance on the board while using those work rope things.
I blame my hair loss on supporting Collingwood for 50 years
piffdog
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 43 times

Post by piffdog »

MatthewBoydFanClub wrote:I’m generally supportive of the Collingwood players, but first thing that comes to mind here when I read this is, if we do better than better than expected next year, where was the effort under Nathan Buckley?
I think your hot take is a bit harsh. So any player who gets better this year has done so because they only gave 95% effort for Buckley and now they are accessing that last 5%? I'd be happy to accept that a) theres an entirely new coaching panel, b) its a contract year for him; c) he's growing up and maturing (like everyone does...) and d) he might be a bit more excited about the prospect of footy in 2022 because of all these things. All of which mean that his attitudes towards footy/collingwood whatever will continue to evolve.

And lets not criticise the notion of players only tipping in for a contract year either - happens to almost every player. We could try and 'keep them hungry" with 1 year contracts but that wouldnt work either...
It's never as good/nor bad as it seems...
Pies4shaw
Has liked: 71 times
Been liked: 102 times

Post by Pies4shaw »

^ Also, you shouldn't exclude the possibility that players just lost their edge because the gameplan was self-evidently failing. It's very difficult for even the most professional players to keep pushing on when the team is achieving such poor results.
neil
Been liked: 22 times

Post by neil »

Also the whole sexual assault charge saga ending could have an effect
I know not blaming Buckley is a novel approach
Carlscum 120 years being cheating scum
MurderousMagpie

Post by MurderousMagpie »

If I was MacRae I would be thinking... Do I want Degoey trying to average 30 disposals per week OR do I want Degoey trying to average 3 goals per week in a new look fwd line

Personally, I would take the 66 goals
piffdog
Been liked: 43 times

Post by piffdog »

You might be onto something here - but I think it might be a matter of wants vs needs. He may well be our best forward option, but I suspect he might be our best midfield option too (at least for 2022). In my view I would rather win the midfield battle and take my chances forward (which is kind of whats happened at times in the last couple years) rather than have the guy catch a cold at full forward while we give the oppo 65 inside 50s a game.

Can't wait to see who makes the team, how they are used and what the style looks like next year. Pretty exciting even though I think we will still find wins a little scarce.
It's never as good/nor bad as it seems...
MurderousMagpie

Post by MurderousMagpie »

We got lucky piffdog

We have people like Macrae, McInnes, Poulter, T.Brown etc who can possibly make way into the midfield group, hopefully similar to the way Sidey, Wellingham, Beams, Blair did in 2010

I actually think Jack Crisp is our best midfielder being played out of position.

Adding Lipinski is also a huge addition for quality and depth. Even allowing for Pendlebury poise in defense and JDGs power in the forward line our midfield is deep

Adams Crisp Lipinski Sidebottom J.Daicos Hoskin-Elliot Noble MacRae McInnes Poulter T.Brown Bianco
Presti35
Has liked: 193 times
Been liked: 76 times

Post by Presti35 »

Just mentioned on 7 news.

About his new manager, brother-in-law and fire fighter. And that he'll be a free agent next October.

I really CBF going through a whole season of "will he, wont he"... Ugh, I hope he re-signs early in 2022.
A Goal Saved Is 2 Goals Earned!
Rd10.1998_11.1#36
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Rd10.1998_11.1#36 »

On a lighter note, is this the earliest “Player X is training the house down” article ever? Usually don’t see those until Jan :D
MJ23

Post by MJ23 »

If Degoey doesn't play midfield I reckon a few things will / wont happen.

1. He will look for mid opportunities elsewhere.
2. He wont kick 3 goals a week as the ball wont get down there often or controlled enough.
3. Our young mids will find stoppages very tough.

He was on SEN this morning. Sounded healthy and very keen to take the next step. He aint doing that to play forward.

This has nothing to do with Buckley. Change can trigger change by itself.
"Even when Im old and gray, I wont be able to play but Ill still love the game"
Michael Jordan
eddiesmith
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 16 times

Post by eddiesmith »

The whole problem we have with JDG is he is so badly needed in both areas of the ground. If he can get his fitness to a level where he is spending say 60% in the middle, 30% up forward and only needing 10% time on the bench then we'll be better off.

But it needs someone else to step up when he is down forward so he actually gets those opportunities. It's why I so badly wanted Petracca, the 2 of them would have been unstoppable and given oppositions no reprieve.
stui magpie
Has liked: 75 times
Been liked: 83 times

Post by stui magpie »

Interview on 7 news tonight, De Goey is apparently training the house down 6 days per week. He wants to do what Petracca did.

https://7news.com.au/sport/afl/de-goey- ... -c-4275453
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.