The 2021 Great Big Consolidated Trade & Draft thread

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

inxs88
Been liked: 4 times

Post by inxs88 »

Presti35 wrote:
warburton lad wrote:
BazBoy wrote:On FB. “VFL tip Hartley( in an Essendon jumper) to Magpies “
Hartley is 198cms and 102kgs.- Could play Centre half back/Full back allowing Roughead to go forward and pinch hit in the ruck.

At 28 years of age, he would not cost a packet and may replace Roughead at the end of 2022 season...

There are a lot worse in the pool than Hartley.
From the article, I think Hartley will be a VFL singing only.
Khe San or Power and the Passion?
I love the Pies, hate Carlscum
jackcass

Post by jackcass »

It’s a good question. Think we started 36-6-2.

Departures: Senior list - Greenwood, Mayne, Lynch, Rantall, Sier, Thomas; RL - Chugg; CatB RL - Tohill.

That’d make it 30-5-1

Additions: senior list - Lipinski, Krueger.

That’d make it 32-5-1. That’d give us 5 senior list spots, 1 CatB RL spot.

Does Keane move back to the vacant CatB spot?

GW suggested we’d take 3-4 players at the drafts. Chugg will be redrafted to the RL. If we’re looking at a player like Brander then I’d hope we didn’t add him before the supplemental draft over preseason.
Presti35
Has liked: 169 times
Been liked: 63 times

Post by Presti35 »

Is Mason Cox our only unsigned player? He may be looking elsewhere?
A Goal Saved Is 2 Goals Earned!
Presti35

Post by Presti35 »

inxs88 wrote:Khe San or Power and the Passion?
Nah, something from INXS. 8)
Presti35

Post by Presti35 »

jackcass wrote:That’d give us 5 senior list spots, 1 CatB RL spot.
Interesting.

If thats correct, 5 spots minus Daicos, Dib and one other draft pick leaves room for two. Brander as a DFA and Coleman in the PSD would be ideal. Otherwise we'll use another pick in the ND or upgrade a rookie.

Having only one rookie pick isn't great. We'll have pick 2 and I dont really want to use it on re-drafting Chugg. I'm hoping to land either Naish or O'Brien with that pick. And dont forget about Faye, does he take Tohills spot?

I think we can give up on Dumont & Constable for a senior spot now too. A lot may depend on if Cox decides to leave. That'll open up another spot but give us thin coverage for ruck/FF depth.
Rd10.1998_11.1#36
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Rd10.1998_11.1#36 »

Faye doesn’t need a list spot AFAIK
MJ23

Post by MJ23 »

^ Id rather keep Chugg than Naish or Obrien - I think he has more upside and can play more than one position. Ive not seen anything in Naish I like.

I wouldn't be surprised if we took Daicos, Dibb plus one other kid in the draft. Especially if Daicos is called out 2,3 or 4.
Maybe a free agent or PSD - Brander is the only one I like.

We would keep at least one list spot open for mid season draft.
"Even when Im old and gray, I wont be able to play but Ill still love the game"
Michael Jordan
jackcass

Post by jackcass »

There's a bit of conjecture around about whether we can move Keane back to the Cat B rookie list now that Tohill has departed. He originally had that spot but they got approval from the AFL to change them over apparently. That'd give us 6 spots if we could.

How they manage extending Cox is another unknown. Do they just sign an extension or do they delist-re-draft. Delist-re-draft would add another vacancy going into the draft.

I'm also not sure if we'll add Faye to that Cat B spot this year or leave him on his scholarship for another 12 months. Can't move Keane and add Faye.

All will be made clear sometime I assume.
Pies2016
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 89 times

Post by Pies2016 »

jackcass wrote:There's a bit of conjecture around about whether we can move Keane back to the Cat B rookie list now that Tohill has departed. He originally had that spot but they got approval from the AFL to change them over apparently. That'd give us 6 spots if we could.

How they manage extending Cox is another unknown. Do they just sign an extension or do they delist-re-draft. Delist-re-draft would add another vacancy going into the draft.

I'm also not sure if we'll add Faye to that Cat B spot this year or leave him on his scholarship for another 12 months. Can't move Keane and add Faye.

All will be made clear sometime I assume.
The permutations and machinations are a can of worms and made more difficult by the constant changing of draft and trading rules.
I’ve given up trying to understand the perfect pathway forward but as you said, I’m sure it will all work itself out. They have made too many strategic pick swap moves already to not have a clear end game in sight.
I have felt all the way along that Cox would need to be delisted and then re-signed ( as opposed to extended ) simply to allow for that extra selection spot on draft night.
I’m also starting to think the chances of Daicos being called out at #1 are close to zero. The way North are pumping J H F up, they are going to look pretty silly if they pick Daicos first. Whether Giants call him out at all, is another topic. Regardless, I can’t see them chewing up less than four picks to secure him, so I’m still not convinced that leaves us in a position to choose a delisted free agent before the draft ( although maybe player X contract doesn’t start until 1st Dec ) It might yet be that if are to add anyone else, it’s via the pre season draft after the main draft has taken place.
Last edited by Pies2016 on Wed Oct 20, 2021 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BazBoy
Been liked: 31 times

Post by BazBoy »

I'm not arguing--just explaining why i am right
Lazza

Post by Lazza »

I guess technically (and probably hypothetically) Cox can be picked up by another club if Collingwood delist him in the hope of picking him again later. So there’s always a forlorn hope that someone else will take him
Don't confuse your current path with your final destination. Just because it's dark and stormy now doesn't meant that you aren't headed for glorious sunshine!
piffdog
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 38 times

Post by piffdog »

Tom Wilson - another list clogger. If his career gets to double digit games I will be amazed. Havent seen anything in his four games to suggest he has what it takes. Only savour is I am sure he would be on minimum wage. Dont mind us keeping Madgen and Noble - both were serviceable for us in an albeit poor 2021 season. Hopefully others can develop and relegate them to the VFL (or they can also improve and hold down their spots on merit)
It's never as good/nor bad as it seems...
Pies2016
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 89 times

Post by Pies2016 »

[quote="Lazza"]I guess technically (and probably hypothetically) Cox can be picked up by another club if Collingwood delist him in the hope of picking him again later. So there’s always a forlorn hope that someone else will take him
MJ23

Post by MJ23 »

Tom wilson - having not played for around 5 yrs, just had the two years in the system. 24yr old 195cm player who in just his 2nd year racks up over 30 possessions a game in the VFL. Is a list clogged.

Bit harsh.

If he is then Kreuger is.
"Even when Im old and gray, I wont be able to play but Ill still love the game"
Michael Jordan
piffdog
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 38 times

Post by piffdog »

MJ23 wrote:Tom wilson - having not played for around 5 yrs, just had the two years in the system. 24yr old 195cm player who in just his 2nd year racks up over 30 possessions a game in the VFL. Is a list clogged.

Bit harsh.

If he is then Kreuger is.
Maybe...

I havent seen Kreuger play at all, but at least he couldnt get a game and excel down at the Cattery behind a fairly good team. I'm happy to be proven wrong - but we all like to make these types of predictions dont we?
It's never as good/nor bad as it seems...